New Home Beginner Lab

theducksfan2010theducksfan2010 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, so I am in school for Networking and Adminstration so I am taking the Cisco CCNA classes and building a lab at home to be able to conduct all the labs here rather than at school (almost 2 hours away one way, and I work full time) as this will provide me with the time to actually work on the equipment and learn. I attached photos of the lab as it is so far. Here is what I have now:

Cisco 3548XL EN (3) Switches (One is in the mail, warranty replacement).
Cisco 1720 w/ WIC-1DSU-T1V2
Cisco 1721 w/ WIC-1DSU-T1V2
Cisco 1721w/ WIC-1DSU-T1V2 and WIC-1DSU-T1

I have two Dell Dimension Desktops running Lubuntu 11.10 (Linux) and Windows XP SP3, both computers have a monitor, but share a KVM switch to only use one keyboard and mouse (more convenient and save desktop space.)

My internet gets to my lab area via cat5 out of a Netgear 8 port Gigabit switch. I have 3 Cisco Console Cable RJ45-to-DB9, an assortment of cat5 cables, crossover cables and a complete cable building kit with over 250 ft of cat5 cable left.

Will this work for a home lab? What else do I need to add? WIC cards?

Regards,
Josh
11.jpg 93.7K
10.jpg 92.2K

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice setup. I like your desks, too. I've been looking for a desk like that for a long time!

Back on topic - that looks alright for the CCNA. Though, if you want to continue after CCNA onto CCNP I'd recommend 26xx XM's or higher.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man. cool setup.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• theducksfan2010theducksfan2010 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Nice setup. I like your desks, too. I've been looking for a desk like that for a long time!

Back on topic - that looks alright for the CCNA. Though, if you want to continue after CCNA onto CCNP I'd recommend 26xx XM's or higher.

After a whole lot of searching I found the desk at Staples.

Ok, my turn to get back on topic. Is the combination of the WIC cards present in my Cisco 1721 (2) and 1720 routers good. Will they work with ineternet brought in from the wall via cat5 cable?

I don't know if I have the right cards in the routers, or if I need to buy different? having the DSU cards???