Options

Confused on my future path?

mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
I have been confused for a while on what road to take concerning my career. I really want to specialize in one particular area. I have my 70-270 and was on my way to MCSA for now, but then i realized alot of individuals now already aquired this path. I was thinking maybe towards linux,wireless,security or something a little different. All the opinions will help greatly. I am a pc technician at the present time with 1 more year to finish my BA in CIS. Should i finish my MCSA or start heading in another direction now. All opinions open..Thank you :D

Comments

• Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    May the Holy spirit be your guard icon_lol.gif
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should go for your MCSA. It can't hurt you. I think it's a good basic foundation for any Windows environment. You could always study for more than one cert at a time, that's what I do. I'm currently studying for my 70-292 and also watching CBT Nuggets for Linux+. It all depends in what you want to do in the next 5 years. If you want to be a system admin go for your MCSA then continue with your MCSE. But if you want to be a network admin then go for your CCNA.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    NPA24 wrote:
    You should go for your MCSA. It can't hurt you. I think it's a good basic foundation for any Windows environment. You could always study for more than one cert at a time, that's what I do. I'm currently studying for my 70-292 and also watching CBT Nuggets for Linux+. It all depends in what you want to do in the next 5 years. If you want to be a system admin go for your MCSA then continue with your MCSE. But if you want to be a network admin then go for your CCNA.

Can you explain me the difference between system admin and networka admin? Not understanding this part where system admins need msca icon_confused.gif:
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with NPA24, you can't go wrong by getting your MCSA. Wether you'll end up doing sys or net admin or security or wireless even, it will give you a good foundation for the most used OS.
    spfdz wrote:
    Not understanding this part where system admins need msca
    MS Certified System Administrator ;)
    There's no clear line between system administration and network administration. They can mean basically the same thing at different companies, and at smaller companies they can be one and the same person. Generally system administration refers to managing operating systems (user management, backups, installation, performance monitoring, installing patches and service packs, etc.etc.) while network administration goes about managing everything that ties the systems together (routers, switches, cabling, protocols, wan and internet links, etc.). Because Cisco devices are so widely deployed, CCNA is a good one to start for a (future) net admin.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    spfdz wrote:
    Not understanding this part where system admins need msca
    MS Certified System Administrator ;)
    There's no clear line between system administration and network administration. They can mean basically the same thing at different companies, and at smaller companies they can be one and the same person. Generally system administration refers to managing operating systems (user management, backups, installation, performance monitoring, installing patches and service packs, etc.etc.) while network administration goes about managing everything that ties the systems together (routers, switches, cabling, protocols, wan and internet links, etc.). Because Cisco devices are so widely deployed, CCNA is a good one to start for a (future) net admin.[/quote]

Awesome, you gave me a clear understanding. Thanks.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.