Options

Telnetting into a GNS3 Device

n3twrk0pn3twrk0p Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello folks,

Quick question, When I telnet into a device using GNS3, there is no way you can scroll up/down in the console window. So if run lets say sh run you not able to scroll up and see everything from the beginning, is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    n3twrk0p wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Quick question, When I telnet into a device using GNS3,
    To clarify, you don't actually telnet to a device "using GNS3". GNS is a front-end for simulating devices via Dynamips. You actually telnet to the devices using a telnet client like Telnet, SecureCRT, Teraterm, or my favorite choice... PuTTY.
    there is no way you can scroll up/down in the console window.
    If you post what actual telnet client you're using, someone may be able to assist you with it. Alternatively, install PuTTY. It's what I use, it's popular for connecting to network devices, and it indeed features nifty scrollbars.

PS - Edit | Preferences | Terminal Settings is where you select a telnet client.
  • Options
    n3twrk0pn3twrk0p Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To clarify, you don't actually telnet to a device "using GNS3". GNS is a front-end for simulating devices via Dynamips. You actually telnet to the devices using a telnet client like Telnet, SecureCRT, Teraterm, or my favorite choice... PuTTY.

If you post what actual telnet client you're using, someone may be able to assist you with it. Alternatively, install PuTTY. It's what I use, it's popular for connecting to network devices, and it indeed features nifty scrollbars.

PS - Edit | Preferences | Terminal Settings is where you select a telnet client.

I was referring to putty actually, when I open a session to any router inside GNS3 it connects and everything but the scroll bar is not showing - sorry for not making my self clear icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    n3twrk0p wrote: »
    I was referring to putty actually, when I open a session to any router inside GNS3 it connects and everything but the scroll bar is not showing - sorry for not making my self clear icon_rolleyes.gif

In PuTTY, right-click on the title bar of the window. Click on "Change Settings" then "Window". Double-check the default scrollback settings (line of scrollback=200, display scrollbar=yes, reset_scrollback_on_display_active=yes, push_erased_text_into_scrollback=yes). Note, "Display scrollbar in full screen mode" is set to no by default, so if you are in full-screen mode and you're expecting a scrollbar by default, you'll be disappointed.

PS - When you've found a set of preferences you've tested that you enjoy, save them with a name in the sessions section.