Options

Need Direction for Cert Material

70P6BV870P6BV8 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I am new to this forum but am not new to computers. I date myself back to when UNIX was used in the Cryptology field which I was in the Navy back in the early 80's. However, with that said, I have not stayed in the computer field since then. I have worked on many computers and with software applications dating back to DOS 3.1. So with that, I am trying to get my A+ and Network+ Certs and want to know what would be the best materials to use: books and/or online that will help me with the tests. I know their are many study guides to the test and I am interested in what best prepares someone to take the test.

Now, I am not a spring chicken, you see. I am 50 yo and have one class away from completing my Masters in IT Management and Project Management. I want to teach and will probably go after my Doctorates which will take 3 years or so and that is cool with me. I am unemployed and still trying to find any form of computer work but it is a challenge.

So, with that, what are your suggestions?

Thanks, John

Comments

• Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have not taken a recent A+, however, when I did take the test I used an A+ study guide...I can't really recommend any one publisher though. To comment on your job situation, if you are about to finish up a Masters, you may want to look at some of the for-profit schools. I have seen jobs advertised for some of those schools, and having a Masters is usually the requirement, along with some past teaching experience.

One issue you are probably going to have is having a lot of education, and no practical experience. If you do go looking for some entry level jobs, you may want to leave off your Masters, maybe even the Bachelors, because you will look like someone just waiting to jump ship ASAP.
  • Options
    70P6BV870P6BV8 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I see I need to clarify something here with my experience with computers. My experience comes with working on computers in hardware and software applications up to Vista. Now I use Windows 7 but have just minor experience with W7. I do have C++, C# and JAVA programming. I spent 3 years from 2007-10 working with many forms of audio/visual equipement from simple projector units to Crestron Units with a computer control room to manage the equipment. I have also worked on LAN/WAN networks used on campus and learned using the fiber optics/wire/ network and routers/swirchers used in networking systems. Lets see, I am fairly good with Windows Office 2003 and 2007 applications. I use VB and Access to write databases plus SQL2005. I am excellent at trouble-shooting physical and logical issues with computers and laptops.

So, I am not behind in hands on and I do some Instructor work/Teaching thru mentoring (volunteer work) and I do get paid for some private computer work as well.

I hope this clarifies my current background in IT
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a Network+ book, I suggest Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide. I used that book to get my Network+. For A+, I have no clue, since I didn't bother reading a book for it. Just took the test cold turkey. I would list your hands-on computer experience as freelance work. For videos, can't go wrong with Professor Messer. His videos on his website are free.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70P6BV8 wrote: »
    ...I hope this clarifies my current background in IT

Yes, from the first post it seemed (to me at least) that you worked on older systems, but nothing current. With that said, you may just want to look at amazon and check for the book with the highest recommendations from other readers.
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike Meyer's book is the way to go. I took mine a couple months ago. I'm similar to you in that I had a lot of older computer experience combined with some newer stuff. If you've done a lot of hardware work a lot of it is going to be review so I'd recommend getting the Passport to A+ book instead of the full one. The full one is great but gives more history than you need (since you remember it) and the passport seemed more like a refresher and a way to bring yourself up to date, which I liked.

If you don't want to just read, Professor Messers vids are good, too. Google him or free A+ vids and it should come right up.