Options

BGP University Final Year Project... Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys. I'm doing a final year university project for my bachelors, i've implemented some EBGP in Cisco's Packet Tracer and also on some real routers. I'm now focusing on the rack, as the real routers support a larger command set. What would you recommend to do, in order to perform a performance evaluation in terms of convergence time, throughput etc????

Any advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Many Regards Curtis

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Well you could set up multiple eBGP adjacencies to simulate two ISP connections.. and/or multiple connections going to the same ISP. And then send a continuous string of pings out and then kill one of the BGP neighbors and see what the traffic does.. things like that I guess.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey guys. I'm doing a final year university project for my bachelors, i've implemented some EBGP in Cisco's Packet Tracer and also on some real routers. I'm now focusing on the rack, as the real routers support a larger command set. What would you recommend to do, in order to perform a performance evaluation in terms of convergence time, throughput etc????

Any advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Many Regards Curtis

The best way to evaluate its performance depends on what your purpose is. Imagine you're evaluating the performance of a car. If you're selling to a race-car driving, it's track time may be the most important measurement. If you're selling to a commuter, it's fuel economy may be the most important. BGP is used differently by a medium enterprise and a large carrier.

Consider simulating, or gaining access to for real, the full Internet routing table.
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its ok guys I've got the convergence time, I took down the serial interfaces on my London HQ router, to observe how quicky the London HQ routers lans it was advertising to its peers ISP1 and ISP were removed from their respective routing tables and also the New York HQ routing table. I then reenabled the serial interfaces on London HQ, monitoring how long it took for the adjancencies to be reformed and how it to took for the routes to re enter the routing tables of ISP1, ISP2 and New York HQ.

I also reloaded the routers, to see how long convergece took etc from first boot and i also switched off the routers and did a complete fresh boot, to get three sets of convergence statistics. Now I would loook for a way to measure bandwidth/throughput/delay etc.