2509-RJ - What cable

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

The Above router which has the 8 RJ45 A Synch Ports. To connect my devices to it (I'll be using it as an access server) do I just use a standard crossover cable from the 2509 asynch port to my devices console port?

Thanks

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    A 'rollover' cable is what CISCO generally recommends (IIRC), but a crossover cable 568A -> 568B is slightly different.

http://learn-networking.com/network-design/the-difference-between-straight-through-crossover-and-rollover-cables

http://www.computercablestore.com/straight-through_crossover_rollover.aspx

However, you should be able to make one if you are familiar with making patch cables or running cat wire.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    RJ-45 to RJ-45 Rollover cable for the win!

A rollover cable is different than a Crossover cable. A rollover cable reverses all pins on the opposite cable end. They are extremely easy to make. CAT 5 cable and RJ-45 ends can be used to make them.

If one RJ-45 end is terminated 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .... the the opposite end should be terminated 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Did that explanation help at all?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    127840.jpg

When I am making cables the diagrams help me the most. They help me enough that I printed them off and laminated them. Hope this also helps.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Thanks all.

Clear now!:D

Also found a site with diagrams of all the pinouts, similar to what you provided Patel128. These are great for understanding exactly what's going on.