Options

ALIENWARE

TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
Just want some views. I have some money to invest in a decent laptop as my new one (diversity...she's on her way out!). I'm looking at Alienware area 51 m, are they worth it or should I have a shop around first? This laptop does look tempting and I'm always on the move.
icon_cool.gif

http://spaces.msn.com/members/hturtlegirl73/
If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!

Comments

• Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Depends, do you really plan on playing some hardcore 3d games on that laptop? I personaly couldn't justify paying that much for a laptop that lets me play games.

I have to say though, there desktop case that came out this year looked pretty awesome. Although there's already copies of it released by other companies, they look similar but not the same.

All in all, if you have all that money to waste, knock yourself out :)
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    I basically do everything on my laptop. Play games , surf, work. Just wanted to know if there were any other decent laptops that are as top specks as Alienware? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    When I'm doing well enough I can afford a laptop, it's what I plan to buy. I'm also slightly notorious for buying the best there is due to the fact that if you don't, it will be obsolete in under 12 months. If you'd be using it as your primary PC and can afford it, I would definitely say go for it. I don't know of a comparable laptop unless it would be a Dell XPS. I'm an AMD convert, but if you like Intel you could check them out to compare. icon_lol.gif

Dell XPS
  • Options
    jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You may also want to look into ibuypower.com. they have a pretty good rep as far as gaming rigs go. they usually review well.

If you are looking into getting a gaming laptop (since you obviously can't build one yourself) i would maybe suggest getting a copy of Computer Gaming World or Maximum PC. All the best manufacturers have ads and reveiews of laptops in there.

I was thinking of getting an upgrade to my laptop as well. My old IBM doesnt have enough juice to play World of Warcraft on the go.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Newegg has some decent high-end laptops from ABS that are under $2,000. Their graphics chipset isn't quite as good as the one that Alienware is offering (Radeon 9700 compared to the x800 or whatever it is). The Radeon 9700 will still let you play today's games like Doom3, Farcry and Half-life though.

Personally, I think "gaming" laptops are kind of a waste of money. You won't be able to upgrade the graphics chipset since it's built into the motherboard and you could get an equivalent desktop system for less than half the price. But if you need it to be mobile, it might be worth it for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll take everything on board!!

http://spaces.msn.com/members/hturtlegirl73/
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I would also purchaese this laptop if your wallet can afford it. Personally I like gaming on a Desktop. But I have always been impressed by AlienWare. One of these days I will by me a Alienware desktop. I remember when Alienware first started with the Laptops about a 1 1/2 ago they had all the manufactures on edge. Before then sony and toshiba packed the best power in a laptop.

So my suggestion:

1.) Alienware
    2.) Sony
    3.) Toshiba
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    You could always get one from these guys if you have money to waste.
    http://go-l.com/

They make like super computers. They use RAM drives or something like that. *OMG MILITARY TECHNOLOGY OMG*

Their computers can come up to like 40,000 dollars.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    spfdz wrote:
    icon_eek.gif
    wow.
    the world's first commercially available Vapor-cooled 5GHz Desktop and Personal Super-Computer series
    Wish I worked for NASA. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Stay as far away from Toshiba as possible, when I was on the bench, 9 out of every 10 machines were Toshiba. They are total lemons, total crap. If you ever hear a success story of someone who has never had a problem with there Toshiba its because they have passed into the 4th dimension, cause it just doesnt happen icon_lol.gif

If I were to buy a gaming laptop I would get a Dell XPS Gen 2, and thats it.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Wow really. When I was on the bench it was rare that you ever see a Toshiba. The most garbage machine we ran into were E-MACHINES. Now that my friend is a piece of CRAP.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    I do like the Dell xps, but its always the 'Alienware' that seems to grab my attention for some reason. The specs are so good, although it comes in at a high price.

http://gbagirl.silver101.com

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    The specs of the XPS gen 2 are just as good as any alienware laptop. Only difference is you are stuck with Intel the XPS. They make an attempt to counter it with DDR2, which AMD cant support.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have a sager 5680 and i love it. Check out notebookforums.com. If your not a heavy gamer....i wouldnt recomend alienware or sager.....VERY poor battery life..and heavy. On the other side though, it is cool knowing that your laptop is faster than everyone elses desktop.
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I think that Falcon Computers are the best. They compare to that of Alienware and have beaten them in a few benchmarks and cost around the same. Falcom Computers and Alienware are always advertised in Maximum PC Magazine. They are both higher end gaming machines that does everything. If it was me and had the money I would go for the Falcon Northwest FRAGBOOK. Plus they are so cool looking.. they use auto paint and make them look way cool. You can even custom how you want it to look.

Take a look: Here is the link.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

JDog29