Options

Starting CCIE Written. Just had "the talk" with Mrs. Zartan.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Repetition 2 for Route Filtering and Route Maps. As you can see, I spent a little time trying to figure out why I the lab wouldn't break the way I was expecting. I started in on the Multicast & IGMP section of the Clark book. Finished up through CGMP which I had no knowledge of before. I had enough multicast/IGMP snooping knowing to enable it here for deploying OS images over the network, but I didn't have a super deep understanding. A good portion of what I read today was review, but the section on CGMP was very interesting. It's a very clever way of building the database without the switches having to support IGMP snooping.

Unfortunately, CGMP is largely a legacy protocol these days. Any switch you run into in a modern deployment where a serious multicast deployment is also involved is likely going to support IGMP snooping. Still need to know it for the Cisco Trivial Pursuit tests though
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks. Fantastic explanation as always. I'd pay money to work with you for a year.

As would I. How long have you been doing this Forsaken?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    As would I. How long have you been doing this Forsaken?

I've been playing with networking in one form or another for nearly 20 years, started dicking around with it when I was 16, found I had a natural affinity for making things talk to each other. I like communication. I've been doing IP-based networking for about 10, with the first three years of that doing junior roles and really just learning. The 4th year is when I started getting into the operations side of respectably sized networks and started figuring out how this crap actually works. There's so much that the CCNA/P don't teach that you only learn from very long nights, and getting phone calls at 3am because someone did something stupid and you've got to go fix it. I've also picked up some respectable skills on the server administration side, as I believe understanding what the packet generators are actually putting onto my pipes makes me a better network engineer.
  • Options
    I've been playing with networking in one form or another for nearly 20 years, started dicking around with it when I was 16, found I had a natural affinity for making things talk to each other. I like communication. I've been doing IP-based networking for about 10, with the first three years of that doing junior roles and really just learning. The 4th year is when I started getting into the operations side of respectably sized networks and started figuring out how this crap actually works. There's so much that the CCNA/P don't teach that you only learn from very long nights, and getting phone calls at 3am because someone did something stupid and you've got to go fix it. I've also picked up some respectable skills on the server administration side, as I believe understanding what the packet generators are actually putting onto my pipes makes me a better network engineer.

Man, I should have started back then. Thanks for helping all of us!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Man, I should have started back then. Thanks for helping all of us!

Well, having to communicate it in my own words helps me get a better grip on it as well, so I appreciate the opportunities. And I'm a firm believer that the better quality of the information that is available, the better folks will be at their jobs, and that might end up making my life easier someday!
  • Options
    Zartan, I'm actually on this same topic. There are several blogs on INE.com in reference to redistribution concerns:

Understanding Redistribution (Part I)
    Understanding Redistribution (Part II)
    Understanding Redistribution (Part III)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Day 14 - 7.5 hours
    Total - 75.5 hours

As predicted, reading the spanning-tree chapters in the Cisco Config Guide took up a bunch of my time. Went through STP, RSTP and took extensive notes. Read the Cisco technology white paper on 802.1w. Also finished Rep 3 of the EIGRP review questions and lab.

Day 15 - 2 hours
    Total - 77.5 hours

Rep 3 for OSPFv2 Review Questions. My first two reps on this subject weren't so hot. This time through, only missed 2 questions on the first try.
    Rep 2 for Trunking & Port-Agg. I need to make some more custom questions for this, because the ones in the book are lacking.

Finished the multicast/IGMP/CGMP chapter in the LAN switching guide and read the Cisco tech brief on IP Multicast Technology. Cisco has 17 different White Papers on various Multicast topics, which I'm sure I'll be getting into once I start on the Multicast book.

Read the Cisco Tech white paper and 3560 Config Guide on 802.1s. Those are my only sources for this topic unless I go back to the SWITCH FLG. I think there's enough meat in those two chapters to at least get me acquainted with the basics.

Me and the Mrs. have plans for tonight, hence the short day. Gonna use tomorrow for a comprehensive white board review again for everything I've done this week. From there I should be ready for Routing TCP/IP Vol 2.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Day 16 - 4 hours
    Total 81.5 hours

Went to UFC 145 in Atlanta Saturday night and didn't get home until 3:30am. Felt generally tired on Sunday so I didn't get much done other than watching the ATC video on Cisco Documentation.

Then it was a manic Monday at work, so I didn't have any time for uninterrupted reading. Finally ordered the all access pass and watched ATC videos 1, 3, 4 & 5 on VLANs, trunking and VTP. Nothing new here really except the coverage of VTP pruning in various scenarios.

Replacement NIC cards arrived today so I should finally be up and running by tomorrow night if I need to do any labs. After reading over the "How to pass the CCIE" blog post, I think I've settled on a final study plan.

The weeks 1-8: Fundamentals phase is broken down into the following sections and equivalent hours of ATC videos:

Bridging & Switching: 11.16 hours
    Frame-Relay: 4.43 hours
    IP Routing: 4.81
    RIP: 3.43
    EIGRP: 4.35
    OSPF: 9.23
    BGP: 10
    IPv6: 3.85
    Multicast: 5.86
    MPLS VPN: 7.08

Nothing about Security, Services or QoS in the warmup section, but the 3 equivalent Written bootcamp videos are each under an hour. Each of those 10 areas comes with about 10 hours of Vol I labs each. Depending on subject length, I can complete the reading in 1-2 days and videos in 1-2 days. That leaves 2-3 days for VOL I labs. So in a perfect world, I should be able to complete one subject per week. But this doesn't include the repetitions I will be using for reinforcement. So maybe 10 days per area, although some will go by much faster since I've already completed the reading. I'm going to forecast 10 weeks from now to complete all of the areas + 2 weeks to complete repetitions on whatever I finish last. Then I should be ready for the Written.

By that point, I should be done 90% of the reading I will need to do. It will just be referring back for reference and reading the Cisco docs and reading the QoS book. The training schedule is based on 12 hours/week, but I seem to have about 3x that much time available to me right now, and the new data center construction project at work is winding down. Not saying I can complete it in 1/3 the time, and learning and understanding the material is the most important, not a schedule. However if I can complete the final 40 weeks in 20, that certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. At least it's something to shoot for to stay on track.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 17 - 5 hours
    Total - 86.5 hours

Yesterday ended up being a bust. Finally got my lab up and running. Go home... 2509 is dead. There goes my remote access. allout.gifOrdered a Digi CM 32 from ebay. I was hoping to start on the Vol I B&S labs. I glanced at the questions and they looked absurdly easy. I'm just going to do the console port hopping thing for the next few days until the new terminal server arrives so I can at least get through this L2 stuff.

Watched ATC videos 6-11 on STP.

3 more hours on optional spanning-tree features, MSTP and RSTP to close out that subject.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 18 - 3 hours
    Total - 89.5 hours

Getting back on track now. 2509 wasn't dead, I just locked myself out of the console accidentally. Did labs 1.1 to 1.10 in WB Vol I. Also restarting my repetitions to coincide with my labs and video watching. Hoping to do the final STP videos tomorrow at work.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Days 19 & 20 - 10.5 hours
    Total - 99.5 hours

ATC Videos 12-21 on STP, 23-26 on Frame Relay and 33-35,37 on IP Routing.
    VOL I Labs 2.1 - 2.8 on Frame Relay.
    Rep 1 review questions for 802.1d, 802.1w and optional spanning-tree features and re-read some source material from Cisco docs, and LAN Switching Guide.

Finally starting to get back into a good rhythm after a hectic week of work and problems getting the lab going. I'm kind of surprised they estimate 100 hours for the Warm Up phase. The corresponding ATC videos for each section are 3-5 hours and the assigned WB labs take about an hour and 25% of that is probably just being unfamiliar with the topology at this point. Worst case scenario of 6 hours per topic is 60 hours. Guess I'll see how things shape up. They say to not worry about this yet, but I've been typing up my configs in notepad then pasting them in.

My schedule should be completely clear tomorrow, so I expect to get a lot done. I am shooting for completing all the videos and labs for IP Routing, RIP & EIGRP.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 21 - 6 hours
    Total - 105.5 hours

I swear it's always something. Spent 3-4 hours trying to chase down various problems with GNS3 and dynamips on Ubuntu. I'd build a topology and everything looked great. Then quit and restart and it'd crash before loading. GNS3 doesn't support the Frame Relay switches on Ubuntu, ok fine. Rebuild with a router running Frame Relay. Still crash. Okay, let me try running just dynamips and dynagen (A fun experience BTW). Can't run a .net file with [cloud] types. Okay, comment them out. More crashes on load. Try tweaking RAM settings, using dynamips in nice mode, no dice. Finally try using a different IOS version and voila, it works! Finally I'm ready! Right into IP Routing in WBI. 3.1 looks like cake. Do the configs on R1. Can ping R4 but not R6. WTF? Check the configs, look at spanning tree to see where the flows should be going. Finally start looking for access-lists or anything they might have thrown in there to mess with you. Put up an SVI on SW2 to see if R6 can ping it. Nope. But it sees cdp neighborship. Finally look at the solution to see if I missed anything. Nope. WTF?? Increase MTU on NIC. Nothing. Finally figure I have a bad port so I move on. Get a few more done, but then it's late and I'm both tired and annoyed. Get up this morning and think "let me try changing the encapsulation to ISL". Voila, it works!
    allout.gif

I'd have logged 10 hours easily if I didn't have all those problems.

Watched ATC videos 37-41 on IP routing, and 43-49 on RIP.
    Completed VOL I Labs 3.1 - 3.5 on IP routing.
    Read some Cisco docs as well.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 22 - 8 hours
    Total - 113.5 hours

Managed to not shoot myself in the foot today other than loading Rack 1 configs to the BB and Rack 10 configs everywhere else. Oh so THAT's why I'm not getting RIP injections from the BB. ;) On the plus side, I've seen lots of problems in various debug outputs, which is bound to help me at some point in the future.

IP Routing: Vol 1 Labs 3.6 - 3.11

RIP: ATC videos 50 & Vol I Labs 4.1 to 4.11. The solution to 4.11 intrigued me enough that I went and found these two blog posts on INE going in-depth on binary math. I think they had this in the CCNP FLG, but I kind of glazed over it. This explanation stuck.

EIGRP: ATC videos 53-59.

I'm going to re-read the Doyle book some on RIP and EIGRP as a refresher tomorrow before heading into the labs for EIGRP.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 23 - 4.5 hours
    Total - 118 hours

Re-read the chapters on RIP and EIGRP in the Doyle book. It's amazing the little things you pick up that you missed the first time around. Then I watched ATC video 60 and fell asleep in the middle of it. Watching videos in bed hasn't worked out too well for me so far.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 24 & 25 - 9 hours
    Total - 127 hours

Have been coming home and getting really tired so I've been cutting studies short and going to bed early. I was supposed to do Rep 2 for Frame Relay and IP Routing on Wed/Thursday but I wasn't up to doing labs, so I stuck to videos and reading where I could.

EIGRP: ATC videos 61-67, Vol 1 labs 5.1 - 5.10, Cisco FAQ
    OSPF: ATC videos 68-74

I must've done some other stuff since the time to watch those videos and do the lab puts me a few hours short of 9 hours, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 26 - 7 hours
    Total - 134 hours

Caught up on the repetitions I missed mid-week. Digi CM 32 arrived yesterday, although I'm gonna wait until Monday to install it.

Frame Relay: Vol 1 labs 2.1 - 2.8 (rep 2)
    IP Routing: Vol 1 labs 3.1 - 3.11 (rep 2)
    RIP: Vol 1 labs 4.1 - 4.11 (rep 2)
    OSPF: ATC videos 75-80

I thought videos 77 & 78 were excellent. It really tied up some of the loose ends on stub area types from the Doyle book and brought it all together. The book and videos make a nice 1-2 punch. I don't think Doyle covered Type 7 to Type 5 Translator election at all. I also bought the OSPF: Anatomy of a Routing Protocol book. It's listed at 339 pages, so it's probably under 300 pages of actual reading. I'll squeeze it into a day or two of reading when it's time for a refresher on OSPF.

Going to close out OSPF tomorrow with a read of the OSPF FAQ on cisco.com, re-read of the OSPF chapter in Routing TCP/IP and complete labs 6.1 - 6.14.

The next 5 hours of videos are about route redistribution and filtering, which don't map to the warm up phase of the INE training program but I don't think I'm going to skip them. If everything breaks right, I'll get all of this done tomorrow, but we'll see. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 27 - 7.5 hours
    Total - 141.5 hours

If everything breaks right, I'll get all of this done tomorrow, but we'll see. :)
    I knew that everything wasn't going to break right, but I can hope.

Started off with a 2nd read of OSPF in the Doyle book. The case studies he goes over at the end on NSSA and ASBR placement were much easier to understand thanks to the ATC videos. After that, a quick read of the OSPF FAQ which added a few review questions to my repetition list. For the first time in WB I, they introduce concepts that weren't covered in the videos. I went from feeling confident after the 2nd read to feeling unsure about OSPF again. And this was only 1/3 of the labs in WB I. They do a fine job of teaching you some lessons though.

Tomorrow is rep 2 for the EIGRP labs and review questions, then 5 hours of ATC videos on route redistribution and filtering, then a re-read of the last 4 chapters in the Doyle book. That's probably about 10 hours of time, so I'm not expecting to finish it all unless I get started a lot earlier Sunday.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 28 - 8 hours
    Total - 149.5 hours

Pretty good day. Got started early and didn't take as long to finish as I predicted.

EIGRP: Rep 2 for 5.1 to 5.10. Got through this pretty quickly.
    Route Redistribution: ATC vids 81-86. 2nd reading of the last 4 chapters in the Doyle book. The reading actually went a lot faster than I was thinking. Everything was pretty basic and easy to digest the 2nd time around, especially after the ATC videos. Also read over the first two INE blog posts that James posted about Route Redistribution.

I finally get to read a new book tomorrow instead of going over old material. BGP awaits! Was able to get the Routing TCP/IP Vol II book for $9.99 from Cisco a while back and I'm eager to get started on a "new" topic. If you add up the various ATC video runtimes for the core topics, BGP comes in 2nd at about 10 hours worth of video, behind only Bridging & Switching at a little over 11 hours. OSPF is third with about 9.25 hours.

Looking at the books I have left, it's probably around 4300 more pages of reading I'm going to do. Up to this point I've read about 2500 pages worth of material not counting Cisco Docs. Sounds like a lot when you think about it all at once. How do you eat an elephant? One bite a a time.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot when you think about it all at once. How do you eat an elephant? One bite a a time.

I tell myself that everytime I start to feel overwhelmed. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Day 29 - 6 hours
    Total - 155.5 hours

I didn't realize this before, but the Routing TCP/IP, Vol 2 book "only" has 2 chapters on BGP. Of course those 2 chapters total ~300 pages, which is twice the coverage of OSPF in Vol I.

Bridging & switching: Rep 3 for review of VTP questions and 1.1 to 1.15 in WBI. Note to self, when pasting in configs, make sure they are going to the right router. Otherwise you're sitting there wondering why a change you made on R6 is affecting R1's ability to ping R4 when you really changed the config on R1. =p

BGP: Finished the first two chapters in Doyle Vol II, although chapter 1 was really on EGP. I had been wondering since ROUTE FLG what exactly BGP confederations and route reflectors were since they were mentioned but out of scope. When he showed the fully meshed diagram next to the RR diagram my initial thought was "oh it's just like a designated router in OSPF". Then he showed the diagrams of a cluster of clients with redundant connections to 2 RRs connected to another cluster designed the same way, then nested clusters of RRs that are clients of another RR and I realized it was bit more in depth than that.

So I realize I'm going to spend a lot of time on BGP both reading and time at the CLI. I'll definitely read IRA since it's on the recommended list. Maybe even add BGP-4 Command and Config Handbook (the OSPF version of this gets high marks on amazon and IEOC as well). I dunno if that's overkill or not, but judging from the amount of time spent doing ATC videos on BGP, it seems like it's an especially important topic to understand.

It will probably be another 2-3 days to get through chapter 3 and then I can start on the ATC videos.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    BGP: Finished the first two chapters in Doyle Vol II, although chapter 1 was really on EGP. I had been wondering since ROUTE FLG what exactly BGP confederations and route reflectors were since they were mentioned but out of scope. When he showed the fully meshed diagram next to the RR diagram my initial thought was "oh it's just like a designated router in OSPF".

That's a really bad comparison. First off, do not think of BGP in terms of any IGP, it will screw you over as you mentally make associations you shouldn't.

A route reflector overcomes iBGP's split horizon rule, that is it's purpose. It's used to break the requirement for a full mesh between all iBGP routers in order to make sure all iBGP routers have all routes. The clients don't know they're clients. As far as they're concerned, they're only peered with the RR, and all the routes the RR gives them complies with the rules of iBGP split horizon. This is very different from an OSPF DR, as the non-DR/BDR routers communicate routes to the DR/BDR, but they are still aware of all the other routers on the same segment. I know that seems like splitting hairs, but this is the CCIE - details matter.

Confeds are more of the same, just in a different manner. It's basically using eBGP internally to get around the iBGP full mesh requirements, with some fudgy logic to keep it from being real eBGP.

What will really screw with you is the first time you seem them both being used at the same time (ie, a sub-AS uses a route-reflector internally in the sub-AS, and then the RR's form confeds with RR's in other sub-AS's)

I cannot stress enough - do *not* think of BGP in terms of an IGP. I have to constantly explain this to one of my co-workers who's studying BGP but keeps trying to associate BGP to IGP concepts. Totally different paradigm.
  • Options
    Day 30 - 4 hours
    Total - 159.5 hours

Officially at the 30 day mark?! Where has the time gone...

STP, RSTP: Rep 3 Review Questions.
    BGP: Rep 1 Chapter 2 Review Questions. About twice as many end of chapter questions as I was expecting. Added a couple custom ones as well. Learned the We Love Oranges AS Oranges Mean Pure Refreshment and Women Laugh at Me mnemonic today. Goofy but effective. I remember hearing that there was something to help remember this and I don't think FLG covered it for ROUTE. I just brute force memorized it for the test.

I must've been a slow reader today because I only got 40 pages of Chapter 3 reading done. Granted I follow along with the case studies by building it out on GNS3 and verifying what I'm reading, but it just seems slow. I had a lot of distractions at work while I was trying to read and never got into a real groove. Went over redistribution vs network command, default-originate, synchronization, next-hop-self, update-source, ebgp-multihop, aggregate-address, summary-only, send-community and suppress-map scenarios.

Hopefully will be able to pick up the pace some tomorrow without losing any detail. Thinking about using Wednesday & Thursdays as days off from doing any studying at home. If I get any reading done at work great, but after I get home that's it. DVR is getting full with shows we need to catch up on. Justified, The Killing and Homeland aren't going to watch themselves. Breaking Bad starts up again in July too.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    That's a really bad comparison. First off, do not think of BGP in terms of any IGP, it will screw you over as you mentally make associations you shouldn't.

A route reflector overcomes iBGP's split horizon rule, that is it's purpose. It's used to break the requirement for a full mesh between all iBGP routers in order to make sure all iBGP routers have all routes. The clients don't know they're clients. As far as they're concerned, they're only peered with the RR, and all the routes the RR gives them complies with the rules of iBGP split horizon. This is very different from an OSPF DR, as the non-DR/BDR routers communicate routes to the DR/BDR, but they are still aware of all the other routers on the same segment. I know that seems like splitting hairs, but this is the CCIE - details matter.

Confeds are more of the same, just in a different manner. It's basically using eBGP internally to get around the iBGP full mesh requirements, with some fudgy logic to keep it from being real eBGP.

What will really screw with you is the first time you seem them both being used at the same time (ie, a sub-AS uses a route-reflector internally in the sub-AS, and then the RR's form confeds with RR's in other sub-AS's)

I cannot stress enough - do *not* think of BGP in terms of an IGP. I have to constantly explain this to one of my co-workers who's studying BGP but keeps trying to associate BGP to IGP concepts. Totally different paradigm.
    Appreciate the comments as always. I don't think I was trying to think of BGP in terms of IGP to aid with understanding. Just noting certain similarities to get around the same problem IE full-mesh.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Appreciate the comments as always. I don't think I was trying to think of BGP in terms of IGP to aid with understanding. Just noting certain similarities to get around the same problem IE full-mesh.

Well, it's not the same problem. In OSPF's case, it's more about scalability and processing time... there's no reason for every router to have a full adjacency with every other router on a DR/BDR network type, as the LSA's just get duplicated, lead to larger databases, and longer SPF runs. And OSPF understands that this isn't necessary on every link, and accounts for it on a type by type basis.

BGP is entirely agnostic of network type. iBGP doesn't care if you're on a point to point link, broadcast, or multipoint, etc - it has it's rules, and it wants it's rules followed.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the relationship between a BGP RR and an OSPF DR/BDR is very superficial. While the concept may appear similar on the surface, they have very different purposes and a very different genesis, and as I said, details matter!
  • Options
    Day 31 - 4 hours
    Total - 163.5 hours

Frame Relay: 2.1 - 2.8 Rep 3.
    OSPF: 6.1 to 6.14 Rep 2,
    BGP: Knocked another 40 pages out in the Doyle book, plus went back and did some review/took notes. Finished off aggregate-address options with attribute-map, as-set and advertise-map and covered the neighbor options description, password, advertisement-interval, version, maximum-prefix and shutdown. Finished off with as-path access-lists and basic regexp. So many options. I'm gonna have to spend a lot of time on the CLI with BGP. Actually eager to get into the WB labs. I have some basic regex ability that I break out every so often as needed. Wonder how complicated they might want to get with this?

Another 100 pages to go and I'm done with this chapter and the book for a while as I go through the BGP videos and labs. Probably Tuesday before I start on IPv6, my least favorite subject of all time.

Just looking ahead a bit here...

IPv6: 80 pages/4 hours video
    Multicast: 240 pages/6 hours video
    MPLS VPN: 600 pages?/7 hours video

I'm guessing a lot of the MPLS Fundamentals book won't be needed to match the blueprint. Maybe 200-300 pages worth of actual material there I'm betting. And I still haven't forgotten Forsaken's suggestion to skip it entirely and just go straight to the videos. I'm gonna give it a shot anyway, just to see how I like it.

It seems like BGP is the big mountain to climb during the fundamentals period, at least as far as bulk reading is concerned. QoS still looms large on the horizon though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    I'm guessing a lot of the MPLS Fundamentals book won't be needed to match the blueprint. Maybe 200-300 pages worth of actual material there I'm betting. And I still haven't forgotten Forsaken's suggestion to skip it entirely and just go straight to the videos. I'm gonna give it a shot anyway, just to see how I like it.

yeah, the only thing R&S covers is VRF-lite and L3VPN, so you need to know how to configure the VRF's, do MP-BGP, and do the PE-CE routing protocols (most of them are fairly easy, though OSPF has a few cute tricks that make it a pain in the ass as a PE-CE routing protocol). No L2VPN, no AToM, or any of that stuff.

If you subscribed to the INE All-Access Pass, go to the MPLS Course and go through it. If you can stave off the urge to slap Keith Barker through the monitor (he's one of those happy shiny people, not quite as bad Cioara, but pretty damn near), it'll be a good thorough grounding in the MPLS you need to know.
  • Options
    Day 32 & 33 - 5.5 hours
    Total - 169 hours

I stuck to my promise to not do any studying after work at least one day this week, which was Thursday. Still got some reading in during the day. Also officially using the Digi CM-32 now instead of the 2509.

RIP: 4.1 - 4.11 Rep 3
    BGP: Finished Chapter 3 in the Doyle book! Watched ATC video 87.

Getting off to an early start this Saturday, so I just might finish all the BGP videos today.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Day 34 - 7 hours
    Total - 176 hours

BGP: ATC videos 88 - 99

Got off to an early start, but didn't have it in me to watch all 9 hours of the remaining videos. Still ahead of where I thought I would be on Wednesday.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229

I can guarantee that he studied INE's CCNP training material and that is where the instructor makes the relation ship between the two. I had to look this up because I do remember him comparing it to IS-IS/OSPF

Can be fixed with two exceptions
    Route Reflectors

• Same logic as DR/DIS
    Confederation

• Split the AS into smaller Sub-AS's
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    MrBishop wrote: »
    I can guarantee that he studied INE's CCNP training material and that is where the instructor makes the relation ship between the two. I had to look this up because I do remember him comparing it to IS-IS/OSPF

Can be fixed with two exceptions
    Route Reflectors

• Same logic as DR/DIS
    Confederation
    • Split the AS into smaller Sub-AS's
    Funny you should mention this. I didn't study their CCNP material, I made that association on my own while reading the Doyle book. I was watching the ATC videos on BGP last night and I saw the video where Brian made that same comparison. I've thoroughly banished the idea from my mind though, I promise!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%