Options

point of the EIGRP wildcard

alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
Hey guys,

Just configured a quick EIGRP in my home lab without the wildcard option. I included no-auto in my config and everything worked just fine.

Obviously I would think you want to use the wildcard option if you have a more specific subnet perhaps? Such as a /19 or a /28 but the routing table on my config didn't really look too bad. Just wondering what people thought about this option for EIGRP? and when it is really necessaries.

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    You can really do it anyway you choose. You technically don't even need a mask with EIGRP if you are using default subnet masks (classful addressing). I think the majority of people use the wildcard just to be more consistent with ACLs.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the control. The network statement doesn't say what networks to advertise, instead what interface will be enabled for eigrp. If the interface isn't within the network command, it won't be enabled on that interface.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    If the interface isn't within the network command, it won't be enabled on that interface.

Yeah this kind of makes sense, so if you had one interface with a /30 mask and another with /28 and you used a wildecard on /30 of 0.0.0.3 you wouldn't then advertise the /28 network at all?