Google Voice with Analog phone

2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone have any luck using a POTS analog phone with Google Voice? I'm heard about various ATA adapter boxes and such, but I'm only looking to run one analog phone straight from my computer. I'm hoping there is a way I could hook it to the RJ-11 port on my desktop without having to go through a third party box or adapter.

Comments

• exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This one doesn't hook directly up to your PC, but it works with Google Voice, I'm thinking about getting it and dropping my $20/month VoIP service. I don't know of anything that will allow you to directly hook up a normal phone to your PC to use Google Voice.

Amazon.com: OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter: Electronics
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The OBI100 looks pretty good, but my router and modem are in a different room than my PC. Seems like with the OBI100, the only place you can have a phone is the room with the router/modem.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use the Obi100 for my landline. I give out my Google Voice number and my analog telephone rings.

I also use a 3rd party VOIP provider for international calls.

Obihai works great.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have the obi and it works great. I got it for conferance calls for work so I could work from home, or if I had to work late. I only had a cell phone so it began eating up my minutes. Just get a portable phone if you want to be in another room.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't suppose there is a way to hook the Obihai upto your desktop ethernet port and bridge the connections? My desktop is pulling wifi from the router in the living room.
    2E151 wrote: »
    The OBI100 looks pretty good, but my router and modem are in a different room than my PC. Seems like with the OBI100, the only place you can have a phone is the room with the router/modem.

If you have a phone jack in the room with the router and in the room with your PC, you can simply connect the OBI100 to a phone jack. Another option is a wireless bridge if to have the OBI100 in the same room as your PC.
    I don't suppose there is a way to hook the Obihai upto your desktop ethernet port and bridge the connections? My desktop is pulling wifi from the router in the living room.

You can actually do that in Windows, simply navigate to network connections, click on the two network adapters that you wish to bridge while holding the control key right click one of the selected adapters and select bridge connections. The downside of this method is that your PC must always be on if you want your phone always up.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□

I have wireless N bridges around the house and that is how I moved the phone from my desk to the living room and it works great. If that is not an option, hook up the obi to your router, buy a wireless phone and have the headset at your desk.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action