Options

Top 10 Certs - CCNP not listed - What do you think?

SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
I was just looking at an article on the Top 10 Certifications.

The 10 best IT certifications: 2012 | TechRepublic

They list CCNA (and mention CCNA Security), and explain why they didn't put CCIE on the list, but they don't even mention CCNP.

I know this is just one guy's opinion, but what do those of us who either have CCNP or are working towards it think is the reason for it being overlooked?

Comments

• Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure how it is in the US, but here in the UK I would say 75-80% of the pure networking jobs want ccnp as a minimum. I have ccna now, only recently mind, and it's very difficult to get a pure networking job here with just a ccna. I've just started trying to be honest but have been monitoring the market for the past few months.

Also regarding ccie, a lot of jobs here ask for ccie like it's just something you can get in a few months.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think these lists are useless personally. What may be the number one certification to one person's career may have absolutely no relevance to others.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    A+/Network+ but no Security+?
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I give little creed to any list that names a CompTIA cert as one of the "best" certs.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The process to pick these is:

1. Place every certification on a dart board.
    2. Throw the darts.
    3. The nearest one is the 'hottest' certification.
    4. Write an article which justifies the choice.

The amount of jobs which look for a certification is usually a good enough guide.

I love the ones that say the CCIE is one of the best to have - well duh...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think these lists are useless personally. What may be the number one certification to one person's career may have absolutely no relevance to others.

^ This.

There's a lot of specializations, so depending on what you want to do - depends on what you want to learn/certify.

I don't really care about virtualization/microsoft certifications. Project+/PMP, sure. CompTIA Healthcare IT, worthless for me.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    since the ccnp is the step between the ccna and the ccie i guess it should be somewhere above ccna and below the top cert...

but since they do not talk about the exact criteria this list is more or less worthless and might be written to please the certholders :D
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Meh, it’s too general of a list. Apple cert made the list? Seriously?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Their inclusion criteria was:
    I’ve built this list with the idea of cataloging the IT industry’s 10 most practical, in-demand certifications
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    The next politically correct certification to list is the CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert). However, that’s a massive exam that few professionals realistically will ever have an opportunity to obtain. That’s why I believe the more fundamental CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certification is a smart bet.

I'd guess, he's picking one or two certifications from most vendors, to make all readers somewhat happy. His inclusion criteria are vague--(1) most in-demand, in his experience plus (2) he consider it "practical". My criteria would be a bit different--it pays well! In that realm, CCNP is usually rated about $20,000 above CCNA, and CCIE is usually rated about $25,000 above CCNP. For jobs that pay well enough that I would even consider them, none would be impressed with a CCNA. Better to leave it off your resume, rest on experience, and claim "certifications don't matter".

Note, this is an IT list, meant as-in "Guy who gets called when a PC breaks" and "Jack of all trades, master of none."
    Yes, CompTIA’s Network+ and A+ designations are, technically, two separate certifications. But they’re both critical certs that test absolute fundamentals that every IT pro needs to completely understand."

An A+ and Network+ are mostly useless for someone who works in the network core.
  • Options
    Apple is the darling of the stock markets at the moment, I guess it makes sense :P

True about A+ and Net+. But it's nice to make a little side money every once in a while. Most people i've run across sound more impressed with "A+" than a cisco certification.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's no shortage of people where I work who seem to highly value their A+, N+, and Sec+. Plenty of people putting them in signatures and such. Displaying them on their desk and whatnot. I have mine but I don't have it displayed anywhere. Maybe it's just a sense of accomplishment that these people have.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    There's no shortage of people where I work who seem to highly value their A+, N+, and Sec+. Plenty of people putting them in signatures and such. Displaying them on their desk and whatnot. I have mine but I don't have it displayed anywhere. Maybe it's just a sense of accomplishment that these people have.

I've said it before, it's the junior guys that are the most arrogant.
  • Options
    What's wrong with a signature something they've put money and effort into getting?

• Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    What's wrong with a signature something they've put money and effort into getting?
    Not a damn thing, that's what.

Anyway this list is a complete joke. Trying to pander to everybody gets nobody anywhere.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    CISSP and PMP are the only cost effective certs. However, I have a co-worker with a CISSP that did not get a raised after passing the test. I guess it depends on your company and how good you really are at work.