Which title sound more professional

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Which of these two title sound more professional and network related into the networking field?

Commercial Engineer
Desktop Administrator

Thanks!

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Commercial Engineer is confusing to me.

Desktop Administrator is a very familiar term, but doesn't really relate much to networking.

What exactly are you going for here?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Well I found Commercial Engineer like a jack of all trade for a little bit here and there compare to Desktop Administrator. I guess going into networking I want the one that lead me more in that path and so far sounds like Commercial Engineer is my option I guess.

Network Administrator
    :

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itangel wrote: »
    sound more professional and network related
    Neither. DA is a typical non-networking entry job, and Commercial Engineer... I have no clue what that could be.

If you are choosing between jobs to accept, look beyond the titles, at the responsibilities of the roles. And if networking is what you want to do, skip these and keep looking for an entry-level networking.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which of these two title sound more professional and network related into the networking field?
    Commercial Engineer
    Vague and meaningless.
    Desktop Administrator
    It sounds like you're responsible for administering end-user PCs. Absolutely nothing in that title implies knowledge or experience with networking, anymoreso than "Printer Technician". I would expect you to be familiar with how to use Microsoft Windows, install and update Windows software, reset user passwords, etc.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    We need more background on this. Why are you trying to decide between these two? -Please tell me they're not job titles for the same position.

Commercial Engineer sounds like a bad marketing position to me honestly. If I saw that on someone's resume it really wouldn't mean anything to me.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Commercial Engineer sounds like a bad marketing position to me honestly. If I saw that on someone's resume it really wouldn't mean anything to me.

Agree. To me that title suggests some kind of structural engineering type stuff. I googled it and found many hits similar to this:

"Commercial engineers apply the scientific knowledge they use in other engineering capacities to commercial or for-profit business, projects. The projects range in size and complexity, but they are different than those tackled by industrial engineers. In general, industrial engineers work primarily with manufacturing processes, designing and streamlining these processes."

Big fail for a systems engineer if you ask me.

Dont forget that titles are not the ultimate indicator of your expertise. I was under a "Helpdesk Lead" title for a year and I was designing and implementing high level stuff. HR goons sometimes have no idea what a title entails and assign the first thing they see to a position.you could be a password reset ninja and have a Network Administrator title. If you have an efficient resume any respectable potential employer will be able to discern your expertise and what you can bring to the table.

So in short, don't overthink it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Commerical Engineer sounds like a guy/gal who is in charge of making sure the infrastructure is set up properly before they shoot a TV/Movie commerical.

Desktop Engineer is usually Deskside Support. A guy who images a machine when something goes wrong and moves around PC's, does a lot of installs, moves, and break/fix. Sounds like you will get a lot of experience switching out systemboards and LCDS.

This is not always the case but usually from my experience.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    N2IT wrote: »
    Commerical Engineer sounds like a guy/gal who is in charge of making sure the infrastructure is set up properly before they shoot a TV/Movie commerical.

Desktop Engineer is usually Deskside Support. A guy who images a machine when something goes wrong and moves around PC's, does a lot of installs, moves, and break/fix. Sounds like you will get a lot of experience switching out systemboards and LCDS.

This is not always the case but usually from my experience.

Sounds you don't like Desktop Support too much? I take a tad offense to how you portray that position as I do a lot more than "image a machine" when something goes wrong... We also support hands on equipment swaps and installations for our telephony, networking, and server engineering teams outside of our day-to-day responsibilities with our end users and AD administration.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
    True sorry I didn't post much info yesterday was busy and running left and right. Here is what i got for this position I am currently accepting.

Commercial Engineer
    Cablevision Systems Corporation is one of the nation's leading media and telecommunications companies. In addition to delivering its Optimum-branded cable, Internet, and voice offerings throughout the New York area, the company owns and operates cable systems serving homes in four Western states. Cablevision's local media properties include News 12 Networks, MSG Varsity and Newsday Media Group. Cablevision also owns and operates Clearview Cinemas.

BASIC FUNCTION

The Commercial Engineer performs all aspects of the installation, repair of Optimum West’s telecommunication equipment and services located in customer locations and co-location sites. Complete understanding all aspects of installing Optimum West equipment, provisioning, and testing voice, data, and advanced Ethernet services. Ensures that company technical requirements are followed and satisfaction is achieved for all aspects of the installation of Optimum West commercial services and equipment. Generally works on assignments from TBS using standard procedures, tools, and equipment.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

• Assemble and wire components as per Installation Quality Review, including various multiplexers, DDM+, DDM1000, OC3, OC12, OC48, Atrica, Nortel, and DWDM, power equipment, rectifiers and batteries.
    • For T1 handoffs loop smart jacks, program and check D-Banks for dial tone. Using Sage Test, break out DSO’s on T1 handoff for dial tone. On T3 handoff, check presence of T3 at DSX3 using T/Berd 310 test set. Check for AC failure battery back-up functions.
    • On new ring turn-up, check for fiber failure to maintain integrity of mux connectivity. Install and check continuity of hand-off for Ethernet bandwidth. On data installations, complete 9.6 x N continuity, RFC 2544 testing.
    • Install equipment at Customer or Optimum West sites, insuring the integrity of power receptacles and grounding using the Field Installation Check List.
    • Complete turn-up test procedures with our Service Center, 958 all lines, and 700 all DDD lines, loop T1'’, Stress Test T1'’s, check for FAX1 modem connectivity.
    • Install Termination Blocks for DSO or T1 hand off (possible RJ4icon_cool.gif. Test T3 continuity at DSX3. Install T1 Repeaters if loop exceeds 400 feet. Check smart jack for looping and power. Install VDSLs and MRVs as required for Ethernet circuits.
    • Install, program, test and turn-up Cisco Routers for customer access to the Internet.
    • Inform and instruct customer/vendors regarding demarcation locations and type of hand-off.
    • Installation and testing of complex Ethernet circuits, Eline, Vline, 10/100 Meg through 10 Gig.
    • Complies with Optimum West dress code in order to present a neat and professional image to our customers and the public in general
    • Ring Insertions.
    • Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime and on-call rotation as required.

• Min 4 years experience in installing, provisioning and troubleshooting, repairing telecommunication equipment
    • HS Diploma or equivalent
    • 3 years of Ethernet and TDM experience
    • CCNA certification
    • Cisco CIP TI and T2
    • Valid state driver’s license applicable to state law.
    • Good written and oral communication skills.
    • Ability to persuade and use problem solving.
    • Ability to operate all tools and equipment in a safe and responsible manner.
    • Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime as required.

Desktop Administrator
    Role
    The Desktop Administrator, working with the IS leadership team, provides subject matter expertise in developing hardware standards, engineering and securing the standard desktop platform, and in developing policies and procedures to ensure consistency with WMC goals, industry best practices and regulatory requirements. The Desktop Administrator iIs recognized as the technical "go to" resource within the department, with emphasis on the architecture and design of the desktop environment. He/she has the ability to demonstrate breadth of knowledge across multiple areas of information technology. The Desktop Administrator may be a key team member on strategic or organization-wide technology projects or issues.
    Education and Experience
    • Associate’s Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field with two years related experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.• At least one year of overall desktop computing and network communications experience in a medium to large corporate environment is required.• Working knowledge of Ethernet LAN infrastructure is required.• Demonstrated proficiency in good customer service and communication skills is required.
    Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
    • An industry-recognized certification is required within 12 months of hire.• Applicable certifications for assigned responsibilities are required within 12 months of hire..• Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator is preferred.• Microsoft Certified Professional is preferred.• Linux Professional Institute (LPI) Linux+ Certification is preferred.
    Supervisory Responsibilities
    • None are associated with this position.

Network Administrator
    :

Ok the thing here is that I got an offer from the Commercial Engineer but I have an interview for the Desktop Administrator. Which one will fuel me more in my networking career from the two I guess. It looks like I might have a better chance to be expose to the ins and outs of networking with the Commercial Engineer but like some of you guys said no much can be found base on the title. Other people are telling me that the Desktop Administrator is almost like a step up from Help Desk just managing desktop pc across the company.

Network Administrator
    :

Sponx wrote: »
    Sounds you don't like Desktop Support too much? I take a tad offense to how you portray that position as I do a lot more than "image a machine" when something goes wrong... We also support hands on equipment swaps and installations for our telephony, networking, and server engineering teams outside of our day-to-day responsibilities with our end users and AD administration.

I like deskside support, I managed ~10 technicians that all performed IMAC duties along with special builds and server builds. My team was tasked with deploying Redhat RHEL 5.5 and 6.0 on all the Java developers machines. I have nothing but love for deskside guys.

***Side note: Break fix guys are worth their weight in gold.
    I like deskside support, I managed ~10 technicians that all performed IMAC duties along with special builds and server builds. I have nothing but love for deskside guys. Break fix guys are worth their weight in gold.

Alright... :)
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Network+, Security+
    @Sponx

Actually since we are on the topic, the break fix guys get a bad wrap. I can't tell you how many times I would hire a guy who can handle the software side, but was just terrible at replacing parts.

Before I left that job I would bring in a D series Dell, something EOL and have it taken apart and have them put it back together. I would just need 5 minutes and I could tell if they were going to work.
    Nothing wrong with Help Desk duty I do it myself and enjoy every bit of it. However; I need to grow and head toward a networking position and trying to find my path here with this. Now Desktop Administrator I know little of that title and barely know anything about Commercial Engineer title however; I know what they do base on their description.

Network Administrator
    :

@ Angel

What helpdesk can accomplish as a team is great. A GREAT helpdesk can make average tier 3 teams look better than they really are.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing wrong with Help Desk duty I do it myself and enjoy every bit of it. However; I need to grow and head toward a networking position and trying to find my path here with this. Now Desktop Administrator I know little of that title and barely know anything about Commercial Engineer title however; I know what they do base on their description.
    That job says it requires a CCNA and with 4 years experience. But your posts make it seem like you don't know much about networking.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    Oh no I know enough, I done most of the CCNA stuff just haven't gone to test at the facility due to the fact they closed it and the nearest one is about 3 hours way. I am just confused about the title names and some of the desktop administrator duties. Also the path they can take to move up in the chain is a bit confusing.

in short words I am just comparing them.

Network Administrator
    :

@Sponx

Actually since we are on the topic, the break fix guys get a bad wrap. I can't tell you how many times I would hire a guy who can handle the software side, but was just terrible at replacing parts.

Before I left that job I would bring in a D series Dell, something EOL and have it taken apart and have them put it back together. I would just need 5 minutes and I could tell if they were going to work.

I handle more-so the software, application, deployment side here. We usually send our hardware out under warranty before trying to repair in house. I can, however, build/re-build any computer if necessary. Some of those Dell's though make it a PITA to replace anything yet alone put back together unless you have hands like a 3-yearold. (Makes sense since they were probably made in some Chinese sweathouse).

<3 for IT brethren as well.

Sorry for the thread offtopicness.

Network+, Security+
    @ itangel

I would take a position that is titled correctly over any position that the company is unable to understand the responsibility for any day. Nothing wrong with a Desktop Administrator position...

Network+, Security+
    I handle more-so the software, application, deployment side here. We usually send our hardware out under warranty before trying to repair in house. I can, however, build/re-build any computer if necessary. Some of those Dell's though make it a PITA to replace anything yet alone put back together unless you have hands like a 3-yearold. (Makes sense since they were probably made in some Chinese sweathouse).

<3 for IT brethren as well.

Sorry for the thread offtopicness.

That is cool Sponx, I love to see people be passionate about what they believe and what they do in their career.

I guess my thing here is I didn't provide enough information at the start to make a solid topic, I am just brain storming these two position in my head and whether or not one will be better than the other one for me and my career path.

Network Administrator
    :

@ itangel

I would take a position that is titled correctly over any position that the company is unable to understand the responsibility for any day. Nothing wrong with a Desktop Administrator position...

True, I agree, but I am also looking at other big factors like, how much will I learn network base stuff from a Desktop Administrator position compare to the other position. Also, how flexible will I be compare to a Desktop Administrator position when ready to move on to another state to work. There are little things I am trying to put from each side on a pro and con excel table to see which one offer what. Base on the information I get from you guys is allowing me to think about each position better.

P.S. sorry guys I have the tendency to make myself feel not educated enough compare to a lot of you here since I feel I started late in my career.

Network Administrator
    :

Don't feel uneducated just because some of us started earlier on... Nothing wrong with asking questions! That's why I like this forum :)

Even if there is slighty more pay for one position over another... In this day and age... Making sure you LEARN while you're working, and always being challenged is a HUGE plus. I would probably go for the position that will enable to you learn more about networking, servers, etc.. More-so than managing a Desktop Support team/Deployment team. You know?

Network+, Security+
    True, you do have a point and that is were I was already leaning toward to. I feel the Commercial Engineer position will allow me to exercise my knowledge and be able to learn a lot about the networking world. Thanks a lot. I guess I am debating whether or not to drop the interview for the Desktop Administrator or still do it.

Network Administrator
    :

I wouldn't drop the interview... Still gain knowledge/experience from interviews regardless. :)

Network+, Security+
    I wouldn't drop the interview... Still gain knowledge/experience from interviews regardless. :)

True that I will do that then Thanks!

Network Administrator
    :

Anytime. Best of luck!

Network+, Security+