Options

Emailing Thank You letters

schmalz2schmalz2 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've wondered this for awhile and figured I should finally ask since I had a really good interview today. There has been numerous times where I've only had HR contact info but HR only set up the interview, not conducted the interview. If the interviewers didn't give me their contact info but I found their work email address is it okay to email them a thank you? I tend to look up to see if I can find the interviewer's email but hesitate sending them a thank you because they didn't give me their email. I know I should ask for a business card but I rarely remember to. Today at the end of the interview they made sure I had the contact info for HR if I have any questions which is why I didn't ask for their contact info.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    schmalz2 wrote: »
    I've wondered this for awhile and figured I should finally ask since I had a really good interview today. There has been numerous times where I've only had HR contact info but HR only set up the interview, not conducted the interview. If the interviewers didn't give me their contact info but I found their work email address is it okay to email them a thank you? I tend to look up to see if I can find the interviewer's email but hesitate sending them a thank you because they didn't give me their email. I know I should ask for a business card but I rarely remember to. Today at the end of the interview they made sure I had the contact info for HR if I have any questions which is why I didn't ask for their contact info.

I can tell you from personal experience that it is acceptable. I've done it and have even had it done to me. I've always done it within 24-48 hours of an interview of a job I wanted.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very acceptable form of practice. I have done it and recieved return statements back from the interviewer with kind remarks. Even when I didn't get the position. I've also received <crickets> that's okay too.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I always follow up immediately and say thanks to whomever I have contact info for.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    even if you only have the HR person as your contact, email that person, and they will normally pass along your email to the interviewer(s).
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    schmalz2 wrote: »
    If the interviewers didn't give me their contact info but I found their work email address is it okay to email them a thank you?

I tend to prescribe to the method that BradleyHU suggested which is to email the HR contact and ask that it be passed along. It sometimes feels like stalking to email someone that didn't offer their contact information.
    But given the way that email is casually used these days, it’s probably acceptable to email someone if they haven’t shared it.
    If you are unsure – perhaps you could ask the HR representative or recruiter for the email address and that you wanted to thank the interviewer directly. If they say no – that would give you an idea of what is the acceptable culture in that organization.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    I tend to prescribe to the method that BradleyHU suggested which is to email the HR contact and ask that it be passed along. It sometimes feels like stalking to email someone that didn't offer their contact information.
    But given the way that email is casually used these days, it’s probably acceptable to email someone if they haven’t shared it.
    If you are unsure – perhaps you could ask the HR representative or recruiter for the email address and that you wanted to thank the interviewer directly. If they say no – that would give you an idea of what is the acceptable culture in that organization.

Believe me, it's fine and it is not considered stalking.

When I was emailed by two candidates that found my email I gave the "crickets" response (did not respond). The reason that is done is because folks do not want to inadvertantly give a prospective job candidate ammunition when they don't get the job--better to err on the side of caution. The two candidates I had the opportunity to interview was very light on experience. One candidate had grossly misrepresented his abilities with SQL (did not know SQL commands, even though he had done DBA-type work) and the other was just all over the place with the resume. But both of them emailed me. I myself will email my interviewers and I have always gotten the offer.

Definitely do what you feel is best, but I know what has worked for me. :)
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't bother with this. It's painfully transparent to the interviewer that you're only thanking them to try and curry favour rather than truly expressing your gratitude at being able to partake in a process, which lets be real here, not many people enjoy.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did that once and used the mail to clarify certain points I wasn't sure of during the interview - that was well received ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    What if I have a business card from the HR, IT Director and Finance Director, should I email all of them or copy them?
  • Options
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    What if I have a business card from the HR, IT Director and Finance Director, should I email all of them or copy them?

Generally, whoever it was that interviewed you should get a "thank you" email. And the "thank you" email is not going to be a terribly long diatribe either....

"Dear such and such,

I just wanted to convey my deepest thanks for yesterday's interview. I feel that such and such points throughout the meeting were blahblahblah.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

blahblahblah.

When you have multiple people, it is best to do them all individually. Do not worry about not getting a response back. (The smart organizations will not do it for reasons I stated above--too much of a liability.)

But the thank you should be consice and brief. I would (and have) use it to bring a couple of points home that future boss had stressed, but I didn't live in those points.
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    I already sent the IT director a thank you letter. I can I write 2 different tahnk yo uemail to the HR and Finance Director? Should I "cc" the both of them?

Thanks Guys
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ OP and ERP

Just did it like that this morning :)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    buzzkill wrote: »
    I don't bother with this. It's painfully transparent to the interviewer that you're only thanking them to try and curry favour rather than truly expressing your gratitude at being able to partake in a process, which lets be real here, not many people enjoy.
    Hrm. I enjoy a good technical interview! It's fun trying to solve all the questions, explain what you know, and learn about whatever new NDA technologies the company is working on. Now, I will grant, that low-level interviewers who ask poor questions can be annoying. But usually I get to meet a company's VPs and lead/principal engineers and that in itself is a real treat. :)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    I already sent the IT director a thank you letter. I can I write 2 different tahnk yo uemail to the HR and Finance Director? Should I "cc" the both of them?

Thanks Guys

That sounds self-serving and transparent. I would thank exactly the people who you feel gratitude for, if anyone and no more, and state the reason you're thanking them in the message.

Then again, I've always sold companies on my integrity.