Options

IT Manager

ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
Hey guys, im new to the IT Industry and i was just wondering what would be the best path (in terms of certifications excluding a BSc or MSc Management Information Systems) to eventually become a IT Manager?
The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Get some certs...mcse/ccna and the get your bs in mis...start working....
    What next?
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    That is correct, jmc724.

If you're going to shoot for management, then you'll have to aim at it.
    These jobs are held by people with education and experience. Go to school and get the education in Information Systems Management, with the masters degree it's even better. Pay attention to your courses and electives and learn how to communicate--IT onfo mangers spend a LOT of time in meetings.

You have to get the experience from the ground and upward. A+, Network+ will give you good basic foundations to launch into other certs and, more importantly, areas of work. You have to learn systems, and you only do that by working with them--certs won't do that and, degrees won't do it either.

Certs will/won't make you look good. It depends on the HR guy doing the hiring and/or the people you work for. They may or may not be impressed--most likely proud of you if you demonstrate your ability well.
    I have yet to see any systems admin types say something like, "Wow! you have MCSE! I know you can get this LAN back up and running right!"
    But, certs are a most excellent indication to yourself that you have reached certain levels of achievement in you experience and knowledge.
    And, like I said, they will likely impress the hiring department and may get you an interview, and may be that "little bit more" that will get you hired instead of someone else without the cert.

What cert? Go for M$, Cisco, UNIX/Linux, Novell, and, I don't think there's any cert available, but get some experience and instruction in VMS OS. There's still a lot of those around and work just fine for moving large amounts of data through large systems.

If you don't, in 10 years or so, want to end up pushing a lot of paper around, working your jaw incessantly, and dealing with and getting a bunch of "know-more-than-you" geeks to perform they're jobs with close to excellent performance(because, if they don't look good, you don't look good), then go to engineering school and become a computer systems architect and be a know-more-than-you geek and make big bucks.

Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The key to be an IT Manager is what janmike said & most important NOT TO BE A GEEK. I see way too many people in the IT field that cannot even speak about anything worthwhile. You have to fit the role of business & thats the ability to be liked by your co-workers & the person signing your check. If you are well liked & do a hell of a job, the sky is the limit. Get in where you fit in.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Myself I foresee being an IT Manager but I need to know where is ass is from my elbow. I had worked with different IT Managers and they dont even know as much as some of the desktop support personnel. They can discuss issues well but hands on - hell no. At least if Im being accountable for the network and all key personnels then I need to atleast help resolve issues that have been escalated and show my subordinates how to resolve those issues than being totally puzzled.

The upper management-IT manager relationship will eventually build itself. Being in long boring meeting will eventually become a routine but still you will need to have hands on. What if you need to have a port open on the router to allow certain traffic to pass, will you get a consultant to come in just to do so or will you do it yourself with your knowledge and expertise?

I have a Bs in Business Admin, I worked as a sr accountant, tech support, desktop support, systems admin, now product support for a larger ERP software. Nonetheless I dont see myself going back to college for my masters but I see getting more certs and eventually land the best fit position and work my way up to being a IT manager 2-3 yrs from now.
    What next?
  • Options
    pretty_boypretty_boy Inactive Imported Users Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a difference between being a manager and a technician. Managers work more with people than hardware and software. To be a manager is to be a leader. Leadership is not found in degrees or certs. Leadership is found in your character. You might be the greatest technician, but can you deal with people emotions, are you willing to understand people, can you analyze people and yourself at same time. This knowledge is gain through life. Either you have it or you don’t.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most IT managers I know are suits - management background with nominal IT experience - usually as a Network **** or such, but rarely as a technician.

Understanding profit and loss sheets is more important than understanding cabling standards.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I must agree most IT managers dont know anything. They were moved into the position because they knew someone or because they have a moderate understanding of technology and great people skills.

I remember interviewing for a job and the IT manager had no clue. He literally had to call the technicians in just to hold the interview. I do believe more IT managers should be more qualified and certified in their profession. So before you step into that role be certified in some areas.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Most IT managers that I've known have had project management skills and know how to speak with the "corporate suits.". Technical skills? People skills? Those seemed to be optional.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is correct jdmurray. The most important thing for an IT manager is to be able to successfully manage projects and to handle their staff.

There is a huge void between working on a companies network and being able to front the GM or board and explain why you want to ditch something and replace it with something else. Profit and Loss ledgers are one of the tools of the trade. Several IT managers I know have MBAs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007