Options

What is this???

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
00:03:11: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

I keep getting general system messages like this. If I took a guess, I would say it is debugging. However, I have debugging turned off (or at least I think I do ^^)

What are those messages? Sorry if this is a newbtastic question, Im not used to having anything more then user access.

Comments

• Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    those are just system state console messages, if they drive you nuts just run the global command no logging console. Better to keep them enabled though, as they will also tell you when interfaces change states
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    after a while you will really start to appreciate the CTRL R keystroke because of console messages.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
  • Options
    So when are sitting for the exam?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Noods wrote:
    00:03:11: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

I keep getting general system messages like this. If I took a guess, I would say it is debugging. However, I have debugging turned off (or at least I think I do ^^)

What are those messages? Sorry if this is a newbtastic question, Im not used to having anything more then user access.

Turn on logging & it won't output to the console.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080150bbf.html
  • Options
    ^

directly from the Cisco link you posted -

" To disable logging to the console, use the no logging console global configuration command. "
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    ^

"Disabling the logging process can slow down the switch because a process must wait until the messages are written to the console before continuing. When the logging process is disabled, messages are displayed on the console as soon as they are produced, often appearing in the middle of command output."

Is what I saw.
  • Options
    note the output below -

User Access Verification

Password:
    Router1>en
    Password:
    Router1#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Router1(config)#no logging console
    Router1(config)#int fa0
    Router1(config-if)#shut
    Router1(config-if)#no shut
    Router1(config-if)#end
    Router1#conf t
    Router1(config)#logging console
    Router1(config)#int fa0
    Router1(config-if)#shut
    Router1(config-if)#
    11:56:42: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to administrat
    ively down
    11:56:43: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed
    state to down
    Router1(config-if)#
    11:56:51: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to up
    11:56:52: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed
    state to up
    Router1(config-if)#end
    Router1#
    11:56:57: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    note the output below -

User Access Verification

Password:
    Router1>en
    Password:
    Router1#conf t
    Router1(config)#no logging console
    Router1(config)#int fa0
    Router1(config-if)#shut
    Router1(config-if)#end
    Router1#conf t
    Router1(config)#logging console
    Router1(config)#int fa0
    Router1(config-if)#shut
    Router1(config-if)#
    11:56:42: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to administrat
    ively down
    11:56:43: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed
    state to down
    Router1(config-if)#
    11:56:51: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to up
    11:56:52: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed
    state to up
    Router1(config-if)#end
    Router1#
    11:56:57: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

Yup, I had it backwards. Obviously I never tried it but thats a good piece of information to have. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    be carefull with turning it off, becuase if a interface is flapping for example (going up and down) you wont see this happening, also its good to have logging on for ISDN etc.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Thus CTRL R becomes a handy keystroke. Thats it, flapping, I couldnt recall the term.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    Good info.

I currently have my INTRO scheduled for the 13th. Half of me thinks I have overstudied. The other half is paranoid that I will need to memorize the thousand tidbits of information and answer questions on each. I came to a point where I said screw it, and just scheduled the exam. Ill let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    Your going to do fine, just make sure you have that VLSM down, and simple IOS configration and troubleshooting and you will conquer it.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2