Options

Should I start CCNP study or go for the CCNA: Security now?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I've just finished my CCNA and would like to continue in certification. I noticed that the IINS will be going through an update and will start at the end of september with the new objectives for certification. I currently have no real world network experience on the job but can lab at home. Should I start CCNP study now and do CCNA security when the new objectives are released or vice versa? Would it hurt to start CCNP now or will it scare off possible future employers due to the fact that I've got no work experience?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Because of the way the certifications refresh, I decided to go with ROUTE > NA:Voice > SWITCH > NA:Security. > TSHOOT. In the advent that I get another job sometime down the line, i'd like to be able to know the basics of the specializations. I have to admit, wireless interests me so much though >< more so than seeing cisco (Everyone else) or meridian phones (Kmart) all over the place.

...It got to the point I counted how many cisco phones I could spot in the wild. Shocking.

As far as scaring people off. I don't see the problem with saying "I've earned my CCNP". Really though from what i've read here in Techexams, the NP is the base line for people to recognize you as being a engineer of sorts. As far as experience, purchasing equipment is better than labbing with simulators. Its one thing to do the simulator/emulator, its a whole different thing to deal with cabling issues, buying upgrades, taking it apart, maintence.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    What hardware do you have available to lab with CCNA: Security or CCNP?

I'm sure you will end up with both certifications in the future, so it's only a matter of time before you end up with both icon_smile.gif

In my opinion I would start with CCNA: Security it covers some basic stuff SSH/IPSec VPNs which are used in almost every network.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    What hardware do you have available to lab with CCNA: Security or CCNP?

I'm sure you will end up with both certifications in the future, so it's only a matter of time before you end up with both icon_smile.gif

In my opinion I would start with CCNA: Security it covers some basic stuff SSH/IPSec VPNs which are used in almost every network.

I agree with this really. I waffled around for the better part of 6 months before just forcing myself to do the Security (it was less interesting, but only 1 exam instead of 3, and easier material, being an -NA rather than -NP). Hardware-wise you probably only need a single router+switch (or gns3+switch).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Currently, the only hardware I've got is 2 2950 switches and a 1721 router. I've been meaning to purchase more. I do have GNS3, which I've been using a lot.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Currently, the only hardware I've got is 2 2950 switches and a 1721 router. I've been meaning to purchase more. I do have GNS3, which I've been using a lot.

did I send you that gear? cant remember if it was you or someone else
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    did I send you that gear? cant remember if it was you or someone else
    No, haha. I bought that stuff on ebay. If you do have spare gear send it my way though!! I don't live far from you!!