Options

Need of education advice

dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone I have been reading this site for a while and thought whatever advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am currently at the halfway point of getting an A.A.S. degree, however, I'm wondering if it's going to be worth my money to complete. I currently have experience working 6 months as a NOC Tech and I just started a great job doing Help Desk and Desktop support last month. I also have 3 different CompTIA certifications (A+, Network+, and Strata IT Fundamentals) that I have obtained over the past year with the Security + up next and either CCNA or MCTS after that. In addition I have a Bachelors of Arts degree with a major in History.

Now when I go to further my career and move into a higher level position is the A.A.S. really going to matter at that point? I know that for an entry level position it's going to have an effect but I already have my foot in the door which I know can be the hardest part. However, moving into something above entry level I figure its going to be more based off experience and certifications and than combine that with a bachelors degree, does an A.A.S. really add any more value at that point? I dislike stopping half way through the A.A.S. without anything to show for it but than again if I'm wasting money I would like to know lol. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
WGU - B.S. Information Technology
Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is absolute not worth your time or money to complete, no matter what it costs or where you're getting the degree. A BA in anything is more valuable than an A.A.S. No A.A.S. will ever signify you have sufficient IT skills to get any real IT job. Your experience and certifications do a much better job of that.

It would be far more advisable to pursue a Master's degree or a 2nd major/degree in an IT-related field.

I cannot express my opinion on this subject strongly enough. If you're in the middle of any classes, withdraw. Don't spent another minute on an A.A.S. You can self-teach the skills in less time and the money is better spent on anything. An A.A.S. does not add value.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cat6cat6 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with ptilsen. It would be nothing but a distraction.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed an A.A.S after a BA is just a waste. A+, Net+, Sec+ and CCNA with some good exp are all you will need.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Agreed, personally I've always felt an associates was a waste but in your case it's completely a waste. If anything, take what you have and do a BS in IT or go straight to a MS if you feel comfortable enough with it. If you get the Sec+ and CCNA a school like WGU would be good (if you're looking for more education). I start the MSISA program at WGU in a couple weeks, you meet the requirements for it now (education and certs since your BA was not in IT) and the CCNA would effectively "transfer in" as one of the courses.

If you want to go for a BS in IT, Excelsior and WGU are good choices. Excelsior (where I did mine) will take most of what you have (even some of the certs can get you credits) and you'd probably just have core courses to finish off. WGU is, relatively, cheap and would get you some more certs along the way.

Keep in mind, of all the really good (and well paid) guys I've worked with in IT they come in 3 categories. Those with a degree in IT, those with a degree in something else, and those with no degree. The point is, the degree can help but it's really not what makes you good (and therefore well paid). I'm working on my MS now because I like studying, I've lived in Asia too long and it's a status thing, and because my company will foot the bill.

Good luck.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thing is WGU will waive a lot of classes if you already have an associates.
  • Options
    dt3k wrote: »
    One thing is WGU will waive a lot of classes if you already have an associates.

And even more if you already have a Bachelor's.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I am choosing to continue on with my education at WGU with their BS in Information Technology program. Being able to study at my own pace is much more appealing to me as well as the Bachelors degree.
    WGU - B.S. Information Technology
    Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i would say get more certs and experience then plump for a masters rather than a BSa s you already hold a BA
  • Options
    dragonshiz wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I am choosing to continue on with my education at WGU with their BS in Information Technology program. Being able to study at my own pace is much more appealing to me as well as the Bachelors degree.

When you begin student loan repayment (assuming you have gone that route, given ITT's absurd prices), you will appreciate WGU's much lower cost. I currently pay more for my student loans from ITT than I do for more car loan, insurance, maintenance, and gas, combined. I would actually be better off making $5K a year loss and not having the degree.

Edit: Make sure you send all your transcripts to WGU. You will end up having to call your local ITT directly to get them. Not sure about your old school. But WGU is probably going to take most of your credits from both. You may well be sitting at less than two years to complete a WGU degree, and get certs along the way.