Options

Advice Needed

jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
I have been in this job for over 5 months and I still don't know what i'm suppose to be doing. I got hired as a Desktop Administrator and I'm suppose to be in charge of images, software updates and windows update. Now, It seems like they systems admin team are trying to keep my job duties. They want me to be reseting password and all that. Something, I hate to do. i have been in It for over 7 years, working on servers, desktops, thin client and WSUS, WDS....

I have told my boss what rights I need to be able to do my job but it seems lik ethis guy doesn't have my bad and he is trying to change my job description. My probation will be over in the 4 weeks. What should I do? Although, I have an interview tomorrow for a Network Administrator position.

Thanks you,
james

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would recommend looking elsewhere. If you haven't begun to do the duties you were hired on for after 5 months of service, I don't think you will start them anytime soon. Personally, I would run away from that company.
  • Options
    Should I talk to my boss again about it because he already told me that he doesn't want me to talk about the right/access thing. Should I go to HR or just exit?
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If he already told you not to bring it up, I wouldn't. He might try to get you fired if you start "bugging" him, even though they lied to you about job duties. I would start looking for a new job, and just leave ASAP. Knowing your boss isn't trying to work with you on getting the access or explain why you don't have the access...shows they really don't care.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    What's a typical day like for you? -You mentioned resetting passwords but that can't be all that you do.

Honestly if you're still on a probationary period I'd wait as it may change quickly after that. If you're not happy with what you have talk with management about what it would take to get moved to the systems administration team. If all else fails break out the resume and get out of there.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    What's a typical day like for you? -...snip....

Helping Systems Admin fix server issues, creating packages and giving it to the network admin and nothing else. They want me to start resetting password now.
    If he already told you not to bring it up, I wouldn't. ...snip....

My first week on the job, I knew right away that I was lied to.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I guess I don't really see where the issue lies then. If you're doing sys admin work and creating packages most of the time then what you do seems to be right in line with your job description. You can't expect to step into every aspect of the job instantly and the description was likely what you would be doing in time.

So what if you have to reset a few passwords? -I'm a Systems Administrator but I still reset my fair share of passwords when needed. It literally takes me 10 seconds, improves the image of our IT department and keeps our employees working.

I'm wondering why you feel the need to strictly limit yourself to exactly what was in the job description? It's always been my philosophy to go above and beyond my job responsibilities. As a Systems Administrator my tasks are typically dealing with servers, updates, virtualization, storage, ect. but that doesn't stop me from picking up the occasional helpdesk ticket, helping with network equipment, A/V equipment or even things as simple as setting up email on an iPad.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I guess I don't really see where the issue lies then. If you're doing sys admin work and creating packages most of the time then what you do seems to be right in line with your job description. You can't expect to step into every aspect of the job instantly and the description was likely what you would be doing in time.

So what if you have to reset a few passwords? -I'm a Systems Administrator but I still reset my fair share of passwords when needed. It literally takes me 10 seconds, improves the image of our IT department and keeps our employees working.

I'm wondering why you feel the need to strictly limit yourself to exactly what was in the job description? It's always been my philosophy to go above and beyond my job responsibilities. As a Systems Administrator my tasks are typically dealing with servers, updates, virtualization, storage, ect. but that doesn't stop me from picking up the occasional helpdesk ticket, helping with network equipment, A/V equipment or even things as simple as setting up email on an iPad.

I really don't have problem doing helpdesk stuff but I'm just scared that I won't be doing packages, software deployment and update at all. My boss told me that he is scared where the organization is heading that they are trying to make my group do only support and let the networking guys do my job. My boss also apologize for writing my job description.

That is the reason why I feel this way. And, people I work with said that there is any issues on what i'm suppose to be doing.