Options

How to reach that highsalary range.

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
I was reading in the forums and it stated that people were making 140k-200k even more per year.

My question is:

How to reach that range ? Which certifications do a person need ? How many years of experience ? In which sector are those type of jobs ? Government/Private/Defense ?

does DOD jobs pay 150k per year if you work in a different country ?

What type of skills should a person have ?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those are some very vague questions. I would start off with what kind of IT job/field you are interested in. But also remember that pay isn't everything!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not that many positions are in that range. But there are some. Experts in certain techs can make that; CCIEs and MCMs being the best examples. Some security engineers and managers, as well, especially with active security clearance. Finance and Defense are probably the better paying sectors. CIO, CISOs, CTOs, and even technical management positions can also be in the range.

Of course, this is only applicable to most of the US and Canada. In New York City, Chicago, and L.A., six-figure salaries are fairly standard. I would need a 60-70K raise to really think about relocation to Chicago from the Minneapolis area. Location is a big factor when talking about salaries.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply guys. I am Interested in doing Sys/Net Administration and moving into the field of Computer Security/Information Security. I will be starting to enter the world of IT soon and want to build a good career hopefully. In which area should I focus on I am planning to write A+,MCTS Windows 7 and 3 exams for MCITP:SA within this year and focus on GSEC and CCNA next year. Is that a good strategy ? I am 19 yrs old.Will employers take me seriously if I apply for intermediate level positions by next year with those certs if i pass them hopefully ?
  • Options
    David MorsonDavid Morson Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suggest that you see content of all those IT certification exams and try to find out which one you find more interesting as Interest is utmost necessary to excel in any field. Do not bother about money because there are lots of things in life which have more worth than money.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The worst thing you can do is getting certifications etc. just for the sake of high salaries. You need to enjoy what you are doing otherwise you will never excel to a point where you do get this sort of money offered. That normally requires a lot of dedication and (over)time and you won't have the motivation in the long run if you hate the job.

And whether that will be a good strategy also depends on your job you will be having. Plus what time will you have left to study, is it relevant to the current role and so on. You don't want to be yet another paper-nerd, you need the exposure and experience to back up your certifications.

A+ is certainly a good start, but it might all change if you see a job you are interested in and they have complete different requirements.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your first goal is going to be just to get a job. Look for a good company and try to get an entry-level job doing basic support and show an interest in getting more involved so that you can get some experience with more enterprise level tasks.

The key to getting a high paying job is to develop solid work experience where you gain more experience and responsibility along with constantly improving yourself. At this time, the best thing that you can do in that area is to get a college degree. While it isn't going to be any guarantee, it certainly helps. It is going to be nearly impossible to get a higher level salary without one (although there are outliers that accomplish this and then some).

I wouldn't bother with the MCITP:SA unless you are actively working a job. If you start going to school, perhaps you can get a job on the helpdesk at the school.

Another option is to join the military and have them train you up for a few years. This would also open the door to contractor opportunities afterwards, which tend to have higher salaries.

You list that you are in Canada... but I don't know what that means for you (whether that is your home and where your citizenship lies, or if you have other circumstances). So, things could certainly be different north of here.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Here's my take, and I apologize, because it's going to seem quite harsh -

If you need to ask that question, you don't posses the skills to do that kind of work, and likely never will. Folks that earn those kinds of salaries are at the top of their fields. They're motivated self-starters and rapacious learners.

Prior to asking that question to an internet forum full of strangers, they would have put in their own research, and only turned to others if they couldn't find what they need, or if they got conflicting results.

Do not pursue certifications just for the sake of money. You do that, and five years from now you'll posting up a complaint about how you did 'everything right!' but still can't find a job and all this certification stuff is pointless anyway.

The simple answer to your question is by *a lot* of hard work, and a very large time investment.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    I was reading in the forums and it stated that people were making 140k-200k even more per year.
    Yeppers!
    How to reach that range ?
    You consistently accomplish more than twice as much as the person making $70,000. Usually, much, much more! :p
    Which certifications do a person need ? What type of skills should a person have ?
    Whatever certifications/skills will help you perform at a very high level for your employer and their competitors.
    How many years of experience ?
    At least a couple years of high-level, game-changing performance.
    and CCNA next year. Is that a good strategy ? I am 19 yrs old.Will employers take me seriously if I apply for intermediate level positions by next year with those certs if i pass them hopefully ?
    Most employers I've worked with would not consider you for an intermediate-level networking position. First, you'd only hold an entry-level certification. Second, you'd have little networking work experience. Third, you don't mention holding a degree. Add a CCNP and a couple years of work experience with various Cisco IOS features and you'd be in a much better position.
  • Options
    EZ21EZ21 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□

My question is:

How to reach that range ? Which certifications do a person need ? How many years of experience ? In which sector are those type of jobs ? Government/Private/Defense ?

Most jobs that pay this well, will require a Masters Degree or PHD in Engineering, Science or similar field with at least 7-10 years of experience in the defense field.

Thanks!!
    Most people who would generally make that much money would have earned at least a Masters Degree or a PhD in computer science, engineering or similar. Also, have at least 7-10 years of experience in the defense industry and good networking connections.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    EZ21 wrote: »
    Most people who would generally make that much money would have earned at least a Masters Degree or a PhD in computer science, engineering or similar. Also, have at least 7-10 years of experience in the defense industry and good networking connections.

A few forum posters would disagree with you on the Masters Degree / PhD comment. Everyone makes more than that and does not have a MAsters or PhD. Many here make well over 100k and have your typical two year or four year degree but at least 10 years exp and high end certs. The degree is not the defacto nor the really the definte on getting those triple figures within the IT space.

and I agree with Forsaken, 100%.
  • Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think its experience and networking (socially) The degree will help but nothing is better than OJT. What good is a bachelors that was gained 20+ years ago? Its dated but if you have the certs and experience it proves you still in the grind and somewhat current....
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It's not just experience. It's the right experience for that employer.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is really no one answer or magic bullet. If you ask the same question about any profession, you are likely to ellicit similar answers. Its like asking how many pushups do I need to accomlish to become an NFL player. The reality is that top paying jobs are very competitive. My own skill set is very diverse and it includes a combination of technical breath and various management, customer services, and organizational skills.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    From what I've read and seen...

It's either SMEs, Management, or C levels that make that kind of money in all sorts of industries from Gov contractor to Financial to Entertainment.

Putting in lots of hard work. You don't do IT at work, you do it at home, social events, on your commute, and in your sleep sometimes (e.g. Forsaken_GA runs his household chores on a ticketing system).

8-15 years experience with that hard work. That's not sitting on your rear end for a few years, but constantly gaining better experience or solidifying your present experience, becoming an SME.

Military experience is a big plus. A TS clearance will also be a big plus (e.g. forum member Everyone has no degree and only a few certs, but he does have military experience and tons of ambition).

Some say knowing the right people. It helps to get a job in general, but can help as you get higher up the food chain as well.

High level certifications coupled with experience (e.g. Turgon has his CCIE R&S written with years of experience and is in an architect position).

Gaining advanced degrees (MS) will help a good deal as well.

The main trick though is it's not one of these things, but a combination of these things that get you in that tax bracket. Also, as most others have said, enjoy what you do. You can't put in as much work as is needed if you hate your job, don't have faith in your decisions, and lack ambition.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Also take into consideration that it's not always 'what' you know, but also 'who' you know.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    onesaint wrote: »
    From what I've read and seen...

Putting in lots of hard work. You don't do IT at work, you do it at home, social events, on your commute, and in your sleep sometimes (e.g. Forsaken_GA runs his household chores on a ticketing system).

\Umm, this is a great idea! Wonder if it will force my wife to do more around the house *ponders* I know it will help my lazy side lol.
  • Options
    HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some good posts. Loving the bloke who tickets his household jobs!!

There are a few ways you can go about it:

1) Who you know - If you are mates with someone who can offer you that high paying position then you have it made! Politicians are very good at this which explains why they have no clue about anything else - they don't need to.

2) Know your sh1t - knowing your stuff is not easy. It goes waaaaaaaaaaay beyond certifications and Degrees. Unfortunately, if you want the highest paid jobs, to get in the door, you are probably going to need certifications/Degree. That and a shed load of relevant experience which often involves self sacrifice for no money! Most of all, you really need to enjoy what you are doing. If you enjoy doing it, earning money becomes a secondary objective. And once earning money becomes less important, you will most likely start to earn more of it.

3) Start up on your own - Start your own business. If you can work for yourself then you need to do so. You will always put more effort into your own business and the rewards are much bigger than working for someone else. I dunno what it's like in the US ATM, but not really an idea to start a fledgling IT company in UK.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's my take, and I apologize, because it's going to seem quite harsh -

If you need to ask that question, you don't posses the skills to do that kind of work, and likely never will. Folks that earn those kinds of salaries are at the top of their fields. They're motivated self-starters and rapacious learners.

Prior to asking that question to an internet forum full of strangers, they would have put in their own research, and only turned to others if they couldn't find what they need, or if they got conflicting results.

Do not pursue certifications just for the sake of money. You do that, and five years from now you'll posting up a complaint about how you did 'everything right!' but still can't find a job and all this certification stuff is pointless anyway.

The simple answer to your question is by *alot* of hard work, and a very large time investment.

I definitely agree with this statement, but I also want to add something.

There are always exceptions, but remember that most people that earn high salaries are not working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, they are putting in 10, 11, 12 hours a day to learn, to study, to try out new things. They are buying their own study material and they are the first to step up when the new version of something comes out. One thing that I see a lot of is the person that "really likes technology", but that person is just someone that likes to buy the new iPAD, or buy the new smartphone, they kick and scream when the company rolls out a new version of something and they didn't get training on it, or they say they don't have time to learn it, or they say they won't study on their own time. That person will remain mediocre, and still ask why they don't get promoted, or they think their seniority alone should put them ahead of someone else.

Besides being the person who will study on their own, and who will take their own money to learn, you should generally like it, new versions can be frustrating, but generally, it should be fun. Without saying, experience is a huge factor, along with a degree and certifications. Since there are so many qualified people out there, companies can be choosy, they can ask for a 4-year degree, certs, and experience, so it's always best to stack the deck in your favor.
  • Options
    b321618b321618 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

My question is:

Thanks!!

I am not sure I know anyone in IT that makes that kind of salary. My director of IT might, but she isn't really "IN" IT per se. Your going to be comfortable in IT I promise but if you want the big bucks you have learn how to sell something.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I am not sure I know anyone in IT that makes that kind of salary. My director of IT might, but she isn't really "IN" IT per se. Your going to be comfortable in IT I promise but if you want the big bucks you have learn how to sell something.

We have several folks that are in operations that pull that kind of money. They have titles like Principal Engineer, and when they make a mistake, the people upset about tend to number in the six figures at a minimum, and they get to have conversations about it with people that have words like "Director" and "Vice President" in their titles.

But in the grand scheme of things, yeah, it's very uncommon to find down in the trenches monkeys that command that kind of salary. It's more likely for an operations geek to make that kind of money consulting, but then to be a successful consultant, you've still got to learn how to sell.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not sure about Canada, but in my area a friend of mine pulls 6 figures doing level II Help Desk work. That's probably equivalent to 50/60k in most other areas. Common high paying jobs have already been mentioned.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not sure I know anyone in IT that makes that kind of salary.
    I interviewed for a new position today. Four of my interviewers had roles where they design and troubleshoot networks. One had a CCIE. All four had degrees, much experience, and were making in that range. You don't have to be in sales to make the big bucks. You usually do need to be able to communicate clearly with folks outside your domain, like corporate VPs.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sponx wrote: »
    Also take into consideration that it's not always 'what' you know, but also 'who' you know.
    I really hate this, but it's true. I hate it because I don't like making small talk or socializing with people for the sake of building my career. I find it very awkward. What's wrong with me?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really hate this, but it's true. I hate it because I don't like making small talk or socializing with people for the sake of building my career. I find it very awkward. What's wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong with you. A lot of people are that way. One thing I can say is to regularly put yourself outside of your comfort zone so that you can grow. Just because you don't like doing it now, doesn't mean that you won't grow into it. I wasn't always a people person. I was always laid back, but not really ready to just jump out there and start conversations. What changed me? Becoming a bartender out of college. You are forced to talk to people as it builds rapport and your regular customers. However, I have also grown and it has helped me to be better received in interviews and building rapport with co-workers.

Also, you don't have to make "small talk." When you find something you and the other people like then it makes it easier as well. Good People skills can also make your job a lot easier. There are going to be times when you make a mistake or even worse, but good people skills can help keep things calm and keep people coming back. The person may not have been happy with what happened, but they may like and respect you for the way you handled it and them!

Two books I can recommend on this are, How to Connect in Business in 90 Seconds or Less and How to Win Friends and Influence People. Well worth reading or listening to.

Just my .02.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□

My question is:

Thanks!!

I definitely do not make near that range, but my goals are for that range. My recommendations, for what they are worth are:

1. As others have said, find something that you enjoy and learn as much as you can. Enjoying what you are doing makes things a lot easier.

2. Don't remain stagnant with learning. It doesn't have to be certifications, but at least learn and apply what you learn somehow. By always learning you can be better prepared when the opportunities present themselves. I have been stuck in the break-fix arena for 7 years now and have been sick of it at times, but I was stagnant and didn't learn new skills on my own. Repercussions, not as many "good" opportunities came later. I am now focusing on something I enjoy, Info Sec, and working in that direction. An example of applying it on the side: If you are studying networking or systems admin, build your own home network and/or domain to "play with." Work on a friends setup as well. Volunteer to work for non-profits or the like. If it is programming, develop your own applications on the side that you can show off for people.

I know others who have done these things and it has worked well for them for new opportunities. I just wish I wouldn't have had such a thick skull and done these things before now! LOL

Good Luck and I hope you are finding the guidance it appears you are looking for!

Mike
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I interviewed for a new position today. Four of my interviewers had roles where they design and troubleshoot networks. One had a CCIE. All four had degrees, much experience, and were making in that range. You don't have to be in sales to make the big bucks. You usually do need to be able to communicate clearly with folks outside your domain, like corporate VPs.

I take my comment back, I do know these types who make that salary range in IT. Design and implementation are huge and can pull in big money, the standards are also quite stringent when it comes to performance. To be sure, what cuts these people over us is their understanding of business and economics as it relates to IT systems and the company they are supporting or contracting for. They have CCNPs and techs like us actually execute the project(s).
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Keener, thanks for the info and refs
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be a great, consistent performer who thinks on their feet, knows their stuff, and communicates effectively. Know how to talk business to IT guys, and talk IT to business guys. Doesn't hurt to network by creating genuine relationships with those around you, and leveraging those relationships in the future (and paying it forward someday).
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Have learnt a lot about starting a career from you guys and how to reach success by doing hard work and loving your work. thanks! :)