Options

Is Geeksqaud relevent IT Experience?

Infoseeka72Infoseeka72 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
The topic pretty much explains the question. Im taking my A+ this summer and their is a position open at GS paying about 14$/hr (some instore stuff/ going to houses), which is good where i live (alabama) where the min wage is 7.25. Im a junior in college and that would be good money for me, but i really only want it if its going to be relevent on a resume for a job when i graduate, any help is appreciated.

Also i bout exam cram A+ book and i see another one coming out soon and it says 801/802 im assuming the 701 books should cover the same material right? just wanted to check to be sure.

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you plan on applying for a help desk or desktop support type position, your GS experience would be relevant. It really depends on what your career goals are. However, help desk is often a stepping stone for a lot of folks for most IT paths.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It would be better than nothing, but in house IT at a small office or something similar would be better on the resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The topic pretty much explains the question. Im taking my A+ this summer and their is a position open at GS paying about 14$/hr (some instore stuff/ going to houses), which is good where i live (alabama) where the min wage is 7.25. Im a junior in college and that would be good money for me, but i really only want it if its going to be relevent on a resume for a job when i graduate, any help is appreciated.
    You don't mention your degree program. If you're working towards an in-demand degree like CS/EE, you'll be able to bypass the basic help desk and desktop support roles, and it's unlikely your A+ skills or experience will help your resume. See if you can find, as networker suggested, an in-house IT position which may allow you to dabble with a wide range of equipment.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Puts food on the table. More customer/upselling focused than anything IT.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    You don't mention your degree program. If you're working towards an in-demand degree like CS/EE, you'll be able to bypass the basic help desk and desktop support roles, and it's unlikely your A+ skills or experience will help your resume. See if you can find, as networker suggested, an in-house IT position which may allow you to dabble with a wide range of equipment.

My degree is in Information Systems, idk if thats in demand or not, hoping it is :). Im thinking ill have to start at help desk, but most jobs ive looked at say CS or IS so.....
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It will definitely help for a help desk related job, which is where a lot of individuals start off in IT. But you never know, some company might take a chance on you for a higher position.
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Staples EasyTech, GeekSquad, and Firedog had all similar functions: Sell, Upsell, and Sell Attachments. All those positions are just glorified selling positions. (Coming from experience in the retail field...I worked GeekSquad and Staples EasyTech "Expert")... Most of the work wasn't even done in house, yet alone touched by tools of our own trade!

Anyways....Is it "Career" experience; of course! Is it experience to get you to the next level in a "real" IT job? Probably not... But it can get you a foot in the door.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's relevant. I don't like it, you don't like it, and really, no one likes it. It is definitely pertinent and adds value. It's much better than nothing.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My degree is in Information Systems, idk if thats in demand or not, hoping it is :). Im thinking ill have to start at help desk, but most jobs ive looked at say CS or IS so.....
    It's not as in-demand as CS/EE. This is all relative--obviously, it's going to do more for you in IT than an Art History major! But with an IS, you may have to work the helpdesks, where an A+ / Geeksquad experience could help.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't focus all your energy into Geeksquad. Once you step out of Bestbuy for the day, focus on getting more knowledge. Find whatever you like - Whether Security, Networking, Microsoft, Project Management... There's so many things to do it's just mind boggling. It's some type of experience, and any type of experience is still good experience. If you enjoy selling, you could always be a designer selling businesses large quantities of Cisco equipment. More work for the rest of us ;)

However, be careful when you get more knowledge. You'll find yourself wanting to put your foot down using technical jargon to sell. As long as the information is legitimate - most of the time it's not. Don't be the person that I hear talking to a Doctor saying "Apple never gets viruses." Because I had to walk out the door before I sat down and spoke with the doctor - but then he said "I'll take the 27", with two iPads". So I figured he had the money to spend and didn't really care what BestBuy was saying.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would just use it as a very last financial resort. Otherwise, I would go as far as saying it's downright insulting to classify it as IT. Yes, I am that serious about it. :)

Nothing wrong with starting in helpdesk. As almost every helpdesk has some form of Tier 2+ support above that. And that type of experience (thinking on your feet, interfacing with customers, speaking properly etc etc) are highly sought after for entry-mid level positions.

Most of the members here started in something similar.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd rather be searching for [Adult pictures] on a customer's computer than actually working!

Oh the horror stories of Geek Squad abound! Im waiting for when Wal-mart offers Computer Repair services. I can see it happen, and it would work. Because it's Wal-mart.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, im going to keep looking to see whats out there. If i dont find an internship with a company ill probably end up going there just for the money though. What are the odds you start at helpdesks with some certs?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Well I first started in IT, I was a tech a Circuit City that was before the firedog days.

It's experience, a paying job, and decent stepping stone if you can not get a generic help desk type position.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Depends on your area and management TBH. I worked for Geeksquad for almost 4 years: 1 year in the store and 3 in the field. It's sad that my first gig in this field that I'm so passionate about is looked at as a joke, but I would say that my experience working for Best Buy is one of the exceptions. I had a fantastic management team and a group of peers who were very knowledgeable.

I think that you could learn people skills and the very basics of computer repair, but the nature of the big business beast is margin margin and more margin. It's not worth it to Best Buy to train you. It's not worth it for them to reimburse you for professional development such as certifications. As a result, if you're in the store you'll find most of your time is spent checking in PCs and then connecting them to "Agent Johnny Utah" where some guy in a sweat shop in the Philippines runs scripts for 12 hours making $20 a day (these numbers are obviously fabricated to make a point). Best Buy has also spent a significant amount of time and money into automating diagnostics and malware removal. Most machines are checked in for a cool $199, brought to the back where an MRI disc is loaded, then connected to AJU.

Now if you're able to work in-home, I think you could learn MUCH more than you would in the store. Unfortunately it's usually pretty difficult to get hired in straight into the field - so if that opportunity is there I'd actually look into it (Plus $14-$16 is around the starting point for in-home people. In-home you'll still be responsible for meeting numbers/upsells/jobs completed etc, but it's a MUCH more autonomous position. You have support channels you can use if you run into a snag, but for the most part you manage your schedule, time entry, and you actually work on common issues (albeit not much on the malware part since you'll still just run MRI) The other part of working in-home is that you get to forge relationships with clients. That may sound gimmicky, but there is definitely a sense of satisfaction when your knowledge and experience is valued.

Well this turned into a bit of rambling - but I hope it gives you an idea of what to expect from taking a position with GS. Also, I may be biased since the majority of my time with GS was in the field. I know that there are others on this forum who may have worked in the store and had a completely different experience. Again this goes back to your area and management.

Whether you take the position or not - good luck!