Options

Mixing videos and book

dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
Hi
I have been using the TestOut lab sim for CCNA and the Wendell Odom book for the CCENT.
I started by going through a module on lab sim and then reading the corresponding chapter in the book.
The thing is TestOuts layout doesn't seem to correspond to the chapters in the book.
I had a quick look on CBT nuggets site and they don't seem to Either.
How do you guys get around this?
Would it matter if I watched something in the video that was not necessarily covered immediately in the chapter I read after? Am I over thinking things? icon_rolleyes.gif
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Most training resources won't 'follow each other' exactly, so you have to pick one as a primary and try to cherry-pick the other. Usually, I end up watching videos out of order, going through whatever book I'm using cover-to-cover. For most of my tests, I've gone the route of having a primary book - like something from Sybex, MS Press, Cisco Press, etc. - and then using CBT Nuggets as my video source. I like to lay out my study-plan as follows:
    • Go through all the CBT Nuggets videos as a 'preview' of the material, helps me get familiar with the scope of the exam topics.
    • Start reading my book, going through each chapter and labbing everything out as I go.
    • I'll sit down and watch the videos more in-depth, particularly if I'm stuck on a lab, taking some notes and covering the topics from the book.
    • Review-time: possibly a different book or a quick-study guide to help me get a new perspective on the material.
    • Do some practice exams, then (hopefully) be ready for the real test.
    You shouldn't have too much trouble working the TestOut material into a rotation like this one, perhaps as either your 'preview' or as the review after the book. Give it a try, see if it works for you and don't hesitate to modify it to your needs. Hopefully it'll help.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to watch videos to break the ice on a topic and take notes while I go.

After that I'll begin to read the book and lab.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Most training resources won't 'follow each other' exactly, so you have to pick one as a primary and try to cherry-pick the other. Usually, I end up watching videos out of order, going through whatever book I'm using cover-to-cover. For most of my tests, I've gone the route of having a primary book - like something from Sybex, MS Press, Cisco Press, etc. - and then using CBT Nuggets as my video source. I like to lay out my study-plan as follows:
    • Go through all the CBT Nuggets videos as a 'preview' of the material, helps me get familiar with the scope of the exam topics.
    • Start reading my book, going through each chapter and labbing everything out as I go.
    • I'll sit down and watch the videos more in-depth, particularly if I'm stuck on a lab, taking some notes and covering the topics from the book.
    • Review-time: possibly a different book or a quick-study guide to help me get a new perspective on the material.
    • Do some practice exams, then (hopefully) be ready for the real test.
    You shouldn't have too much trouble working the TestOut material into a rotation like this one, perhaps as either your 'preview' or as the review after the book. Give it a try, see if it works for you and don't hesitate to modify it to your needs. Hopefully it'll help.
    Ah so you go through all the videos first and the read the book after?
    I may do it that way, then as I read the book break up the reading with CBT nuggets or transcender if I get stuck.
    I feel I have learned quit a bit in the 3 modules I have done on TestOut as the short videos and the right ups after are great for my short attention span.
    Thanks for the advice
    Plus Youtube have some handy stuff as well
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tend to study in a simular fashion to slowhand;
    • Watch the videos (CBT Nuggets), to get an overview
    • Look at the ToC of the Study/Foundation Learning Guide, and try to marry up the vids with the chapters (and renumber the vids if needed)
    • Watch the vid for the chapter (CBT Nuggets/INE/IPExpert), I always try to get different views of the same topic
    • Read the chapter, Lab as I go & write up my own config notes (sometimes adding more commands than the book walks you through, thinking "this could be handy") with full examples
    • Lab the chapter
    • Repeat as needed
    I try not to do more than a 2 hour session before taking a break, especially when it comes to a pure theory video, slides accompanied by "blah, blah, blah" puts me to sleep.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I try to Lab the topic first. Not knowing much about it seemed to get my feet wet so the second time labbing wasn't such a new stuff.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    azaghul wrote: »
    I tend to study in a simular fashion to slowhand;
    • Watch the videos (CBT Nuggets), to get an overview
    • Look at the ToC of the Study/Foundation Learning Guide, and try to marry up the vids with the chapters (and renumber the vids if needed)
    • Watch the vid for the chapter (CBT Nuggets/INE/IPExpert), I always try to get different views of the same topic
    • Read the chapter, Lab as I go & write up my own config notes (sometimes adding more commands than the book walks you through, thinking "this could be handy") with full examples
    • Lab the chapter
    • Repeat as needed
    I try not to do more than a 2 hour session before taking a break, especially when it comes to a pure theory video, slides accompanied by "blah, blah, blah" puts me to sleep.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been through the CCENT for dummies book twice a few months ago but I forgot a lot of it.
    My original plan was similar to yours.
    1) Watch video and take notes as an overview, I honestly have never taken notes before and I cant believe how much its helped
    2) Read a chapter from the book
    3) Lab
    4) Do practice test hopefully pass that and move on to the next module
    Then I had a look at the Testout stuff and with it being for the CCNA its kind of thrown me as some of the Modules are different to what is in Odoms book.I have come up with two choices.
    1) I just have to take my time with the contents in the Odom book and plan it out better. Obviously there are going to be some bits that may not be in the preceding chapter and some that are in the chapter that may not have between in the previous video I watched. Would this matter so much?
    An option that I came up with last night is to just go through the Testout software from start to finish and if it looks like I may be say getting 70-75% on practice exams just brush up and go for the composite.
    As I seem to be getting between 70 and 90% on the end of module tests at the moment.
    Would this be a good idea? I have done the N+ but never took the exam as with it just being pure theory I never pushed to get that extra 10% memorizing as I enjoyed the CCNA too much.
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I came through when it was still the old v3 640-801 exam and found the Odom books to be a tough read, I kept glazing over at the OSI model.

I ended up taking classes (6 months of saturdays) via the Network Academy track, and the Academy books were an easier read as well. But even with a live instructor some things just make more sense than others, same as any book, same as any video. I've also had a look at the TestOut series, but never thought much of their tests. The actual CCNA is much harder, or so I found, I just scraped by in the 820-830 range.

With the CCNA behind me, the method above is what I now follow (and its gotten me through CCNA-V, CVOICE, CIPT1, CCDA) and I find it works for me. But I also have the CCNA base to build on, and a thirst for things Cisco.
  • Options
    azaghul wrote: »
    I came through when it was still the old v3 640-801 exam and found the Odom books to be a tough read, I kept glazing over at the OSI model.

I ended up taking classes (6 months of saturdays) via the Network Academy track, and the Academy books were an easier read as well. But even with a live instructor some things just make more sense than others, same as any book, same as any video. I've also had a look at the TestOut series, but never thought much of their tests. The actual CCNA is much harder, or so I found, I just scraped by in the 820-830 range.

With the CCNA behind me, the method above is what I now follow (and its gotten me through CCNA-V, CVOICE, CIPT1, CCDA) and I find it works for me. But I also have the CCNA base to build on, and a thirst for things Cisco.

I certainly agree on the exams I always seem to get 80-90% on the majority of module exams.
    I think I'll go through the testout thing start to finish do their CCNA test and if I pass that have a look at some Transender exams or similar.
    I have the boson ICND1 exams that come with the Odom book so I'll give them a whirl after as well and I have packet tracer so I will certainly be doing lots of Labbing. I'd love to do the Cisco academy stuff but I can't afford to.
    I definitely plan on using more than the Testout software though. I have never been great at reading big walls of text so maybe getting Exam cram or similar would be a good Idea?

I reckon I can get some decent reading time in on work so I am going to continue reading The Odom book there.
    I'm still worried that I may be reading one subject then watching a different one at home but I guess trial and error is what's needed
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    looking at this CCNA (640-802) Outline
    What would you say I would need to ignore for the CCENT?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You should probably be looking at the exam objectives on Cisco's site, rather than the ones on TestOut's. Have a look at the page for ICND1 first, which is what you'll be taking to earn the CCENT, then at ICND2 to complete your CCNA. You have to create an account on Cisco's site to log in and see the objectives, but you can use that same login later on to see your certification status and other perks.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You should probably be looking at the exam objectives on Cisco's site, rather than the ones on TestOut's. Have a look at the page for ICND1 first, which is what you'll be taking to earn the CCENT, then at ICND2 to complete your CCNA. You have to create an account on Cisco's site to log in and see the objectives, but you can use that same login later on to see your certification status and other perks.

Thanks man.
    I did that and it looks like I dont need to do:- OSPF, Vlans, IPV6, frame relay and access lists.
    Not to sure about configuring NAT, VLSM,VPN's and STP though