Options

2003R2 to 2008R2 migration question

Hi all,

I have a question, I already performed a 2003R2 Domain controller to 2008R2 DC upgrade (prepping the 2003 environment, checking domain / forest levels, transfer of fismo roles, regserv32, then clean up meta data, etc). Is this the same process if you have a secondary domain controller? Meaning, if I already transferred the primary DC to a 2008R2 DC would I do the same steps (minus the forest prep / transfer of roles) for the secondary DC? I was under the impression its the same process from my readings minus those steps. Just curious if my logic / understanding is correct.

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    almost 100 views and no response icon_sad.gif

Well, I figured out that I really did not need to do anything other than clean up metadata from the old secondary domain controller. Word of advice to all! If you are using PKI (Smart card logins) do not forget to publish your certs to your NTAuthCA store! :0
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cleanup metadata? You shouldn't have to do that if you demote the domain controllers properly.

I also usually go through DNS and make sure the SOA, NS, and SRV records for the old controllers were removed/updated.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Cleanup metadata? You shouldn't have to do that if you demote the domain controllers properly.

I have a bad habit of double checking everything when it comes to devices that control alot. I went through the steps that I learned through my 70-640 / virtual setup. After I removed the roles and disjoined the old box from the domain all that was left was DNS.
    I also usually go through DNS and make sure the SOA, NS, and SRV records for the old controllers were removed/updated.

Yep all have been removed and new ones in place.