Options

Switch for ICND???

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
Im getting ready to wrap up the INTRO, and I want to be ready to roll right into the ICND. I understand Cisco now tests on the 2900 series switch, not the 1900, and I would like to obtain the correct equipment by the time Im ready to study.

Will any 2900 switch be OK? Is there a specific model anyone can recommend?

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I have a 2924XL-EN with IOS 12.3. It's a lot cheaper than a 2950 and you can do trunking with it.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Have you found that it has been sufficient for your study for the CCNA?
  • Options
    Well so far so good (I just don't need all those ports icon_rolleyes.gif ). It's an enterprise edition...so it can do all required configs for the CCNA. But make sure it's an EN if you do buy a 2924. The other models are no good for CCNA.

You can probably find one in good condition on eBay...

Otherwise try out networkhardware.com. I've bought all my equipment from them (including a new 2611 that a company put up for clearance after closing doors :) ) and they are all in very good condition. But the price is a bit higher--but more secure-- than eBay.

2lbs.
  • Options
    Yeesh...even those are over $200. Is there not a lower cost solution?
  • Options
    Cost is one of the main factors --if not the main one-- you'll have to take into consideration. Labs are not cheap... that's why people use sims instead. But if you do a thorough search....you'll find great labs at good prices.

The the 12-port ones are cheaper than the 24-port ones, they're just harder to find. And when you do find them, you'll find they have IOS 12.0 or the like on them.

Do a search on the forum and read the threads users have posted regarding the switch and/or home lab questions. You'll get more ideas to help you reach a sounder decision.

2lbs.
  • Options
    OK, I just passed the INTRO, and Im about to buy one of these switchs for my ICND study. Can anyone confirm the WS-C2912-XL-EN and WS-C2924-XL-EN both have the necessary capabilities for CCNA study?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Noods wrote:
    OK, I just passed the INTRO, and Im about to buy one of these switchs for my ICND study. Can anyone confirm the WS-C2912-XL-EN and WS-C2924-XL-EN both have the necessary capabilities for CCNA study?

Just check the spec for the switches,if they support Vlan trunking thats all you will need.Apart from Vlans there aint much to configure in the CCNA.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Noods wrote:

The one I have is the C2924-XL-EN with IOS 12.3. It supports trunking. The only thing is that the ports are 10B-T. I just don't know why a CCNA student needs 100/10 base-T ports though.

Another thing is that the 2912 is a bit harder to find than the 2924's. At least that's what I'v encountered during my search for a switch.

good luck
    2lbs.