Options

Anyone sign up for CompTIA membership?

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
I recieved my certification "card" in the mail the other day. They had the offer to join some CompTIA membership thing. It said you get a pin, durable card, and some thing that you could frame.

As far as I'm concered, I recieved a card (not durable, flimsy is a good word) and a certification that I could frame.

So anyone who has joined up, what does the pin look like? Also do you get another card, or is it the same flimsy card that CompTIA is talking about?

I really couldn't justify paying 55 or 99 dollars for membership which I would probably take no advantage of, but I'm curious about it.

Anyone who has signed up, let me know!
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you referring to the CompTIA IT Professional membership or the CompTIA corportate membership? I am a member of the IT Professional group, and my company is a CompTIA corporate member. The two are different and have different implications and value.

Being a CompTIA corporate member, our company will get a certificate and the stickers that you can put in your there's many other "benefits" you'll hear about or read on the CompTIA website, but I haven't found many of them to be truely useful.

Being a CompTIA IT Pro member gives you a couple of nice benefits. For one, you can get 25% off CompTIA exams. Secondly, you also get free access to some good IT assest tracking tools and things of that nature. If you're a manager this means a lot, but if you act in mostly a technical capacity you won't always find a big benefit of this part.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was talking about the IT professional one.

Thanks for the information, but do you know naything about the cards and pins? And as for the 25% off, I buy my vouchers from getcertify4less.com, I'm assuming it doesn't work with that?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, you do get a seperate certificate/membership piece of paper, a different card (this one is similar to the microsoft id card, it's plastic) and an IT Pro lapel pen.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I joined and became a member of the CompTIA club. Is it worth it, not as much as I thought it would have been. The plastic card is nice though. It's not flimsy at all like the ones they give you for passing their tests. You get to choose what kind of lapel you want. I chose the Server+ lapel because that was the most recent test I passed by them. I usually check the site every now and then to see if they have any new updates. I paid the $99 for two years so I hope I get more out of it before the 2 years are up.
  • Options
    So what happens if you have multiple compTIA certifications? Do you get a card for each certification or you get one card listing the certifications you have?

Or what happens if you get another CompTIA certification after you already got your new card?
  • Options
    sharpescaladesharpescalade Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am a CompTIA It Pro.

You get a nicer ID card.

You get all your certs on it printed.

If you get ones later they have to make you a new one.

They only complete IT Pro apps once a month, so if you want to get in the program its takes awhile...and get a new card for your updated certs, it takes awhile to get your new stuff..nice and worth it...but dam.it just takes forever.....
    Compaq Accredited Professional ~ HP Systems Engineer ~ CompTIA A+ ~ CompTIA Network+ ~ CompTIA i-Net+ ~ CompTIA HTI+ ~ CompTIA Project+ ~ CompTIA Security+ ~ INTEL Certified Solutions Provider
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a member. They gave me my membership for free when I got my certification and they renewed it when I got another CompTIA. The initial free membership was good for one year.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan