CEH and other certifications

billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
I currently have the CEH certificaton, I was just wondering if it would be useful to have another certification such as the Security+ as well? the company I am working for is offering free training for this course. Or because the CEH is a higher certification than the Security+, is sit not practical to have the S+? Let me you know your thoughts :)

Bill

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security+ won't hurt. My understanding is that the material is very different from CEH. Security+ is more theory, while CEH is more tool-oriented.

If they offered training for something else, like SSCP or GSEC, that would be a better bet. But, free is good and so is Security+, so you might as well go for it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After holding Sec+ for a while, I believe it is really only useful for two things:

1. DoD compliance
    2. A stepping stone for more advanced security certs like CISSP, GIAC certs, CEH, etc.

In the realm of security certifications there is really no middle ground...You either have an advanced security certification, or you don't. In my experience, Security+ hasn't turned any heads on a resume', nor should it. It is a super broad low-level certification that primarily scratches the surfaces of several competencies.

I'm sure down the road when I get CCNA: Security I'll have a few moments when I think "oh yeah, I remember this from Sec+"....But career-wise, I don't think Sec+ offers anything by itself.

In your case, I suppose it could be nice to couple with CEH. Then again, as you've already mentioned, CEH is a higher level certification and perhaps your efforts could be better spent somewhere else.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Why do you say that CEH is a higher certification than Security+. They are both entry level certifications. And honestly, having done both, I think Security+ was a more difficult test (my perception of it might be skewed because I took Sec+ much earlier on in my career). If its a free training course, I would definitely recommend it. Security+ is one of the two most valuable certifications that CompTIA offers (...the other one being A+).
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're getting a free class, why not take it?