Options

End of year performance review rating number - Whats good and bad ?

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

I have a review coming up,

I was informed it is between 1 to 5

1= Did a bad job
2= Almost sucessful needs improvement
3= good did your role and slightly a little more.
4= exceeded you did well and performing well consistently
5= Your a god perfect

I was told that none can get a 5 cause none is perfect and 4's are rare and was informed most people get 2s and 3s

do you guys have something similar like this? also what did you guys get?

we have like 12 criteria that we get measured on

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're not canned, I think you're doing okay?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    A 3 would be considered normal.

3/5 does not mean you are doing a bad job, it is just a rating, not a grade. Just make sure you score in the 3 range and not the 1 or 2.

Strive for 4-5.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never had a review like this before, always just "hey you're doing a great job, here's some money". Like Roguetadhg said, if you aren't canned you must be doing something right.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What type of company and size do you work for? In larger companies (> 10k employees) - this type of rating system is not uncommon. Whatever is considered good or bad can largely depend on the companies maturity and the type of culture that it wants to set. For me - in my job today and at the company that I am at - a rating of 2 or 3 would be fine.

There is a management school of thought of "forced rankings". This is when management is required to rate employees into various percentage groups. Using your example - management may be forced to rate - 5% as 5, 10% as 4, 30% as 3, etc. etc.

General Electric was the company that pioneered this concept back in the 80's.
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Our review system is similar. You should ask around to find what review scores are common, because it can vary from culture to culture. When I worked in a NOC I would get 4s. Then going to state government I got something like 2.6 the first year and freaked out thinking I was getting fired. Turns out under our "pay for performance" plan if you get above a certain score (can't remember what) they have to give you a raise. Since the legislature hasn't funded the system for the last five years, everyone is under orders to not give reviews that are at or close to that number. Good times.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    We have a system like that, but what we are reviewed upon are goals that we set and the manager approves (or changes) for the year. Each goal gets a weight (a %) and at the end of the year we put in we achieved the goal (or didn't) and the manager approves that and gives a 1-5 rating for each goal. They get tallied up (by that %) and we get an overall... I'm going on 2 years so I've only done it once, I got a 4.8 the first year (out of 5) and was quickly moved from a Jr to a Sr position after that.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013