Options

Quit IT job during probation

aussie_techieaussie_techie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm currently employed with a large company working as System Admin, I've took this job a month Ago, thinking that it would have been a lot better at the beginning but now I'm starting to get really bored and frustrated, they Outsource most of the IT Support Overseas and I feel really useless when I can't access my own Servers, I requested access but looks like they are ignoring me.I only do support for on site Users and Manage IP Phones, I did not receive any training at all so I'm currently working and asking questions to other members of the teams. They really like me and have made lots of improvements for the company but I don't really feel motivated if there is no room to grow. Since I'm still on the probation period I'm looking for a more "hands on" position but not too sure if I should put this experience on my resume, I have no idea how future employers will react to the fact that I left a job after a month.

what you guys think?

I feel really bad to do this to my Employer, it never happened to me before but I don't want to waste anyone's time as well...

Comments

• Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how long have you being in i.t for?

and how long have you being in your current place

and what quals have you got,

it looks bad to leave early, talk to your manager and ask for more work, if they don't leave
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not allowed on your own servers?

Did they tell you about the job description before they hired you?

I have made it a habit to always ask about what exactly i will be doing and if it matches what they advertised. If not i nicely let them know am not the right person for the job.

One of the key issues for not improving at a job is when you are being held back.

Speak to your manager and if things do not improve, look for a new job and then leave.

Try not to burn any bridges, the IT world is very small and the guy you piss of today might be your boss at another company tomorrow. Always remember that.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's a lot of people these days that would love to land a System Admin job. Not sure what the job market is like where you are, but unless the pay is terrible I wouldn't walk away until you are certain your next job is secured.

If you don't have access to the servers you are supposed to admin, what do you do all day? Are you on location or remote?
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Man its common not to get write access to any servers and networks in the first few months. At least not access to everything. Take your time and learn about those phones. Do more than is required, get a cert etc... ccna voice maybe? Show them you are already an asset.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I have the same thought like PsychoFin. Just do you job, and perfect it. Build the confidence for your employer in you. Impress them with the tasks they hand to you, no matter how trivial it may be. Slowly and gradually, when they gain trust in your ability and capability, they will want and allow you to do more for them. Be patient.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    they Outsource most of the IT Support Overseas and I feel really useless when I can't access my own Servers, I requested access but looks like they are ignoring me.I only do support for on site Users and Manage IP Phones, I did not receive any training at all
    When you were hired, was the job description "administer servers (only)" or also "administer client PCs and IP phones"?

If it was the former, why are you only raising this issue a month in? If I were hired to configure/troubleshoot backbone routers, and the first day they asked me to install cable modems, it wouldn't take me long to ask "What the heck?!"

If it was the latter, why did you accept a role you wouldn't enjoy? That would seem to imply you don't know what you want, and would make the next employer concerned you're a flight risk. The first few months of employment are the most expensive from the perspective of the employer. They want to see long tenures at jobs.

I think quitting after a month will be a negative no matter how you spin it.

I am slow to accept offers because I want to be as certain as possible that I will enjoy the role.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't make a habit out of it, but leaving a job that isn't working out is acceptable. The probation period is there to ensure that you are a good fit for the position and at the same time you should be ensuring the position is a good fit for you. People tend to forget that employment is a two way street. The job should be keeping you happy and you should be keeping them happy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    Don't quit yet. It's always better to look for another job while you still have one. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that jazz.

Not to mention as you said you would need to explain time gaps and if you talk about this job why you left etc.. Stick it out and look for another one if your not happy.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Relax! You have only been there a month.

Don't quit yet.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We don't give admins logins to the servers for at least 30 days, 90 days in some situations. That aside, you need to talk to your manager if you feel you are being assigned work that is outside of your job description.
  • Options
    aussie_techieaussie_techie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,
    i have 5+ years of work experience working as System Eng and System Admin MCSA,MCITP EA,CEH,ECSA,CCNA. I had to take to take this job as my previous company was not doing so good (I was with them 3 years, so I got the first offer before I was made redounded (I know silly me). Now, as I said all IT access is managed overseas,I already asked my manager but he can only forward my request for approval.No ongoing IT training, no certifications required and won't get any courses paid for this year.Of course I will never leave this job without having secured another one.