Options

The pain of job searching

I have to rant for a bit... I'm in the process of looking for a new job. Why in the world do I need to register with every single dang company?!?!?!?! I search on Indeed/Dice + a few others. Then I need to sign up for the site, then create a profile, then apply for the job. And after all that? Chances are my resume doesn't even make it past the automated screening. Why can't they just post an email address and have me send a cover lever and email. Uggg... Back to filling out profile after profile...

Then above all that:

Password Criteria:
  • It must contain between 6 and 32 characters.
  • It must contain at least 1 lowercase letter(s)
  • It must contain at least 1 uppercase letter(s).
  • It must contain at least 1 numeric character(s).
  • It must not contain more than 2 identical consecutive characters.
  • It must not contain your user name.
GEEZ... I'm never going to remember that I registered on this site so why do I need to create such a strong password?!?!?!
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't forget craigslist, it actually has some good jobs on there.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It's annoying, but standard for years now. Food for thought: You might as well be complaining about every person that has to fill out a McDonalds, Target or IHOP app everywhere they go looking for a job. icon_cool.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have to rant for a bit... I'm in the process of looking for a new job. Why in the world do I need to register with every single dang company?!?!?!?! I search on Indeed/Dice + a few others. Then I need to sign up for the site, then create a profile, then apply for the job. And after all that? Chances are my resume doesn't even make it past the automated screening. Why can't they just post an email address and have me send a cover lever and email. Uggg... Back to filling out profile after profile...

Then above all that:

Password Criteria:
    • It must contain between 6 and 32 characters.
    • It must contain at least 1 lowercase letter(s)
    • It must contain at least 1 uppercase letter(s).
    • It must contain at least 1 numeric character(s).
    • It must not contain more than 2 identical consecutive characters.
    • It must not contain your user name.
    GEEZ... I'm never going to remember that I registered on this site so why do I need to create such a strong password?!?!?!

The password thing is normal. In the business world, most AD accounts are going to require accounts with that much complexity. I just use a passphrase I can remember (i.e. Ilikenetworkingat10AM!) or an acronym from a passphrase (i.e. I really loved going to Hawaii last summer + my favorite number = IrlgtHls13)

Most sites want you to sign up these days. I'd rather do it through Dice, Monster, and so on than the jobs that will make you go to the company's site and spend 20 minutes registering just so you can apply for 1 job.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always thought of filling out profiles for websites as a way to weed out the truly lazy. If your too lazy to fill out the requirements, your probably just lazy over all and expect a job to come get you when they need you. What sucks is trying to go back and update stuff and keeping track of the sites you registered. I kept a Google spreadsheet with websites and dates I filled out a profile/app. If I want to test the waters in a job search I go back and update the profiles for companies I have info at.
  • Options

You're probably right. I try to do the blanket applications through the major sites at first and when I'm done, I go back to hit those one-shot sites. It's very easy to lose momentum while apply for jobs if you have to stop in the middle for 20 minutes to create a profile just to apply for one job. I should have clarified that I wasn't specifying that you shouldn't apply for them, but one should prioritize so they don't lose their drive
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    We discussed this a month or two ago. It is one of those things that we have to live with. Try to look at it from both ends. At my current company there were 400 applicants for my position. It is a tiny HR dept with just 4 people. Can you imagine manually weeding out 400 resumes times God know how many open positions at any given time? There's definitely value to the company by standardizing and automating this. The profiles although a pain can also have their benefits. Even though I am very happy and my current job I keep active profiles with a few companies that I have specific interests in. Also, tpatt100 makes a good point. If you are not willing to fill up a profile, then you may not be their ideal candidate. It definitely helps reduce what I call resume bombarding. Goes back to my point of HR dept getting slammed and overwhelmed.

On the password issue as Iristheangel mentioned, the complexity requirement is pretty common for environments with decent security standards. Having a few passphrases that meet those requirements would be a good idea.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    At least I haven't run into the dreaded "personality test". There is no wrong or right answers but if you don't get it right, well good bye... I once applied for an entry level motorcycle mechanics job and the required a massive personality test. I went to the head manager and explained my experience, my training and the like - he wasn't bugging on the test though. Never ended up applying because of it. I'm not spending 1-2 hours on a test when I haven't even had an interview yet.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    You're probably right. I try to do the blanket applications through the major sites at first and when I'm done, I go back to hit those one-shot sites. It's very easy to lose momentum while apply for jobs if you have to stop in the middle for 20 minutes to create a profile just to apply for one job. I should have clarified that I wasn't specifying that you shouldn't apply for them, but one should prioritize so they don't lose their drive

Yeah I have to try and pace myself. I pretty much focus on Monster and Dice anyways. You do have to prioritize because I tried the spamming everybody method and I was getting really lazy and sloppy. At that point you have to figure out what you want, since most companies are going to use the job board to recruit anyways.

usajobs.gov though? Wow, that site is horrible. You need to really set aside some time to apply for something on there. Relax, put some music on, a snack, etc lol.
  • Options

I never used usajobs.gov. I usually use 2-3 different resumes and a couple generic cover letters that I can add details to on the fly. I've had really good responses every time I've had to look for a job and since I have a public profile on Monster/Dice/etc, I get a LOT of calls even when I'm not looking for a job.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm with you, last month I applied for a county job and it took me at least an hour to fill out. I had to enter in information for my last 3 jobs, education, references and so on. Then at the end I still had to attach a PDF copy of my resume, college transcript and diploma! Now I have to see if I will be able to take an exam which by passing would grant an interview. What a hassle icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I was looking for a job, I got all my information together. That made it easier to fill out the various questions. A lot of companies use a profile builder like Taleo. You can print it out for later reference.

I also keep a few copies of resumes / cover letters around, just in case.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Signing up on those websites and filling out everyyyyyy questions is for formality. At my old companies, my boss will look for a candidate at monster or dice and collect all the resume. Depending on the persons experience and qualifications then he will get the interview. The other way around is knowing someone from the inside. That employee will ask the manager a "favor" for hooking up his friend a job. If its not technical like admin job. then the person gets the job. If its like a NOC then he needs to have atleast a CCNA and pass the test from the network architect.

The reality is, at my work, a guy with a CCNA that works at help desk or desktop support will still need to pass the technical interview.
  • Options
    pseniorpsenior Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, it does suck. I use KeePass to track all my job search account information. I have been looking for several months now and have about 30 different job search related userids and passwords. Stick with it. Develop a system for submitting your resumes and you will get better/faster at doing it over time.

Someone suggested Craigslist, which doesn't require an account. I've been getting some good job leads and interviews from it. You may also like CareerBuilder. It does require an account, but when you submit one resume, it will give you a list of many similar jobs that you can also submit your resume to in one big batch. CareerBuilder is also interesting in that it will tell you how many hundreds of other people have applied for the same job. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to rant for a bit... I'm in the process of looking for a new job. Why in the world do I need to register with every single dang company?!?!?!?!
    You don't. You are in total control of that aspect of your job search. I only registered with two sites, and only submitted a resume through the "official resume process" at the company who hired me. You know, to make HR happy after the manager decided I was the right person and just before made an offer I couldn't refuse. :p

The market isn't as hot as it once was. It took me almost two weeks!

Perhaps you have a misconception? You will not get an interview nor get hired in the vast majority of cases by submitting your resume through official channels at a medium or large corporation. That is for after you've impressed them, they've impressed you, and you're both relatively serious about moving forward.
    And after all that? Chances are my resume doesn't even make it past the automated screening. Why can't they just post an email address and have me send a cover lever and email.
    The first-pass of screening is to eliminate candidates who don't meet the minimum requirements. Double-check the minimum requirements before applying. No employer I applied to "eliminated" me without talking to me.
    Download a password management tool.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the application submittal process takes more than 30 mins I'm done. Time is money and if an organization can't make the application process some what lean I'm not interested.

I usually find that the recruiting sites have bloated processes with tons of redundancies. I'll pass on that trash.

I have found applying directly to large scaled companies takes a lot of the pain out of it. It usually takes 15-20 minutes tops. You answer some high level questions and submit your PDF/DOC. After that it's have a nice day we will contact you if we are interested. Painless and to the point.

When it comes to recruiters I let them find me. I'll post my resume out on all the sites and wait for a hit, like fishing. I never directly apply to recruiters sites, it a waste of time.

Utilizing LinkedIn profiles is a step in the right direction. I noticed a lot of the electronic application systems are not allowing you to pull data directly from LI profile. This is a great feature, although a lot of times the information is pulled into the wrong fields. Hey that is their fault and I won't change one piece of information. That's their application they need to deal with it not me. I will attach my well designed resume, that's all they should need anyway.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find looking for an job is an JOB in itself. It is really an time sake when you have one job engine send you to the company's site to finish the process with the application, personality q&a and then the brief basic troubleshooting etc. section. Then, I find myself 45min.-1hr on one job search but, they are mass resume search engines I hear that are good. They send your resume to all the job sites i.e. Dice, Indeed, Monster and usagov. etc. for a fee. I guess it is a patience process in finding a job. Since I have my weekly/daily job agents working and they found me some good leads which really have panned out. I say don't get discourage just keeping applying something great will from it because the market has opened up.
  • Options
    CommoGuyCommoGuy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently a 25U in the Army and getting closer to get out. I have been doing the same thing you have been doing and haven't gotten any bites on any jobs. I am looking for maybe a DOD job and/or a job that makes at least 55,000 + I have applied some sooo many jobs. Is there any companies out there that you or anyone else would know about that I can try and apply?
  • Options
    If your not having much luck and want at least 55K a year, might look at dropping your expectations a bit and apply for lower paying work.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Think of the password thing as a privacy need. Do you really want all the information on your application publicly available? Address, contact info? I hate having to do all that fuss, but I can't complain that my information is well protected.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I only apply to positions that I'd really want to take. I know of people who randomly apply to positions without even bothering to consider all the details or search for information on the company. If you need cash, a recruiter might be worthwhile to find some contract work. When looking for a perm position, you probably don't want to take whoever happens to call you back from a random sample of all jobs in the area. Although some people do make really nice $ in IT, it seems that a lot of positions are very low paying (under 60k). If your goal is to make a lot of money, I know consultants who do but they have been in the business for a long time. Two other things that might work are 1) Staying in a company that is growing and working your way up to a department manager 2) Developing a highly marketable skillset (something other than Desktop support and basic administration skills). Have you considered applying to med school? I think physicians tend to make a nice salary if they can find a way to reduce the cost of schooling.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to rant for a bit... I'm in the process of looking for a new job. Why in the world do I need to register with every single dang company?!?!?!?!
    Hmmm - I wonder if there's a business idea in here someplace. If there isn't already a meta-resume service out there that provides proxy resume submission, this could be an interesting business.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a few "tools" that can help. FillPerfect ($$), RoboForm ($), and the FF add-on AutoFill Forms (free) come to mind. They can all be helpful, but none of them are perfect and you will need to double check the info. But it still beats copy/pasta for an hour!
    paul78 wrote: »
    Hmmm - I wonder if there's a business idea in here someplace. If there isn't already a meta-resume service out there that provides proxy resume submission, this could be an interesting business.

I have mixed feelings about this idea. Your resume might go to a LOT of places you'd never personally send it, which could be great or horrible!
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'm spending 2 to 3 hours a day in job searching. Truth is I really just want to work for myself but I need a steady paycheck. I just can't get over the feeling that going to work is like going to prison. Need to ask permission to have time off, you're told when you can come/go, eat, etc. Just hate that feeling.