Options

Job relocation and guaranteeing the job

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I will be moving about two hours away from my current residence so will obviously need a new job closer to my new home. I'm just searching and trying to get interviews right now with direct hire and/or contract positions. My big worry right now is accepting a job, leaving my current job, moving into the new place, and then finding that the job is no longer waiting for me when I show up. This has happened to me before when I first tried to break into IT and I was stuck living off of savings for a few months. Luckily in that case I didn't make a fairly far move and was still at my current residence. Is there any way to protect myself from this happening? In California would I be able to collect unemployment for a while if this were to happen?

Comments

• Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Make sure all the new-hire documents are setup, your W2, tax information, offer letter has been signed from both parties, and you have documentation from the HR department that you're an actual employee. If the "position" isn't there when you go to show up for your first day, than they better have a damn good reason otherwise they are putting themselves in a lot of legal ramifications.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Is there any way to protect myself from this happening? In California would I be able to collect unemployment for a while if this were to happen?

A signed offer letter may not be enough to protect you since most contracts specify at-will employment and have contingencies. What I did in a similar situation was to specify that a portion of my salary be paid as a relocation bonus. For example, if your negotiated rate is $80k, have them pay a $16k relocation bonus that you must pay back if you quit within the six months. This reduces the risk for both parties if they are both seeking a long-term relationship.
  • Options
    FrostbiteFrostbite Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□

That is an excellent idea, which I hadn't thought of before. I'm actually about to start looking for jobs out of state and one of my biggest fears has been having something fall through between quitting my current job and moving up there. I wonder if anyone else has any experience using this idea in negotiations and what advice can you give on approaching this with prospective employers?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NetworkVeteran excellent call!

My wife and I recently moved and we were offered moving cost upfront. But if that isn't in the cards the company should be able to provide some cash upfront to help with the transition. That is bare minimum imo.

+1 rep on this beauty.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Movin in with the GF?

I do not know the laws for CA in regards to unemployment, but I believe that in MN it is something like a year of full time employement to qualify. Could be wrong though, never had to use it.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. Asking for some type of help for relocation isn't beyond expected.

Especially when it comes to dishing out the cost of opening the accounts you need to get to work - rent, utilities, food, traveling... It's far from cheap and 2,000 goes by so quick.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup, job I was offered in Baton Rouge offered $4000 for the move.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was offered 5k when I relocated for employment - man...that money was gone in a flash.
  • Options
    I never thought of asking for relocation assistance. I figured that would count against me as they can probably find someone as good who they wouldn't need to pay that for. I do make sure to point out I'm moving into the area so they know my situation though.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I never thought of asking for relocation assistance. I figured that would count against me as they can probably find someone as good who they wouldn't need to pay that for.
    They're paying roughly the same either way.

An $80k salary is about the same as a $64k salary plus a $16k relocation bonus. If they found someone better at that $80k pricepoint, they'd have hired him/her and whether you were local vs. relocating wouldn't matter one iota. It's up to you whether to actively protect your assets or to pray for the best as you did in the past.
  • Options

It's just something I've never thought of. Thanks for the advice as the thought never crossed my mind about assistance.
  • Options
    So I'll be moving in to my new place 100 miles from my current residence at the beginning of next month. I recently had an interview out there (made a nice 250 mile roundtrip that day from home>interview>work>home) for a full-time desktop support position which went very well. It went so well that I was offered a job a few days later. The big problem is that they didn't offer me full-time. Rather I was offered one 8 hour day a week. This looks like a fun job which I hope to get my foot in the door for a full 40 hours a week.

Now the problem. I have to keep my current job which will be a 67 mile commute one way from home. I would keep this job full time five days a week. My supervisor has to alter my schedule to work with the other job. They also have to go through HR to approve me for two jobs. These types of things take time, paperwork, etc. The new job wants me to start ASAP before I even move or get my schedule worked out right now. Logically I need my full-timer or else bills don't get paid and I become homeless and hungry. I think I know what the right choice will be but it leaves with a feeling of heartbreak if I have to turn down this other job due to the lack of hours. Not really sure where I'm going with this, just venting...again.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301

Moving 67 miles away from your full time job, for a job you interviewed for as a "Full Time Desktop Support Position" then offered 8 hours a week? Let me guess, there is a girl involved? That seems like a horrible decision. I would hold off until you can find something better.

To the OP, in addition to asking for relocation money you can ask for an arrangement where you start work, then 2 weeks later they let you take a week off to get moved. In the meantime you can drive up there, stay in a motel during the week, and have two weeks to get familiar and decide where you really want to live and make sure this is a company you really want to work for etc.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seems like a lot of running around for just 8 hours. I personally don't feel that its worth it seems like more then a hassle if anything else.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Anon,

What is your current full time job?
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Helpdesk, all remote support.
  • Options
    Just wanted to update this so you guys don't think I disappeared into commute oblivion.

In relation to this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/61482-dont-think-im-cut-out-helpdesk.html

Moved two weeks ago. Commuted 140 miles a day last week and it sucked! This week I stayed at my parents place every other day so I can save on gas. Tuesday I was cursing my life, career, and commute on my way to work. Get to work, got a call, offered a job, and I accepted it. 10 miles from my new home. Looks like my car will be collecting dust and my bike will start getting more miles.