Options

Another thread about working 40 hour work weeks

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Lessons from Sheryl Sandberg: Stop Working More Than 40 Hours a Week | Inc.com

I'd be interested to look at study Ford conducted in the 1900's. Check out the link, it piggy backs off an early article I posted about leaving at 5:30 and why you should do it.

Again I'd like to see the data to see if it supports their claims. But I have known "workaholics" who I blew out of the water working 40 hours a week.

I found interesting that they found that employees who worked 60+ a week for a sustained period of time became less productive. Maybe this is a simple case of less is more.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The job I interviewed for yesterday would require I work Mon-Fri 8am - 6pm, and every other Saturday as well for about 58hrs/wk. It's salaried so it's not like you make any extra money for working all the extra hours. Never had to work that much but I can imagine it being mentally draining.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are studies that show that, for the most part, even if you are a 9-5er, how many hours of those 40 hour weeks are 100% dedicated to work [Hint...don't that be that guy that is gonna be a contrarian on this...."look into your heart...you know be it to be true"....]? Figure a few minutes for coffee/smoke breaks, the personal phone call(s), web surfing, hitting on Debbie from accounting, and just about everything else and you'll find that 40 hours could be anywhere from 25-30 hours...at most 35. I'm not even including lunch here.

Anyone who says they don't do any of that is full of ----. Mind you, there are days where there's stuff that has to get done that will take time away from hitting on Debbie or surfing the web...but those days are few and far between.

My whole stuff is that, for the most part, real bosses understand all of this and won't care, SO LONG as the bread and butter tasks are done. A happy employee is a productive employee. :)
  • Options
    amplifyamplify Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My workplace is on 37.5 hours a week, we seem to be able to get everything done.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of my first IT jobs was 7.5 hour days (37.5) hour work weeks. I agree it can be done, we were lean and mean. That's were I learned how to be an IT professional. Later on I learned how to be a manager and that required more hours to do a good job.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    We work 8-5 / 7:30-4:30 but we also have a 19/30 system. If we want to we can work an extra 30 min per day and take an extra personal day off once a month.