Options

Gigabit Wireless Coming in May - 802.11 ac

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
NETGEAR INTRODUCES INDUSTRY

Who's going to be an early adopter? I think I might...

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why AC, why not O? Anyway, I will be curious to hear what the average user experiences as far as transfer speed.

IEEE 802.11ac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is something I have to complement on NetGear, but only if it's not a default NetGear username and password:
    Automatic WiFi Security: Comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home WiFi networks by default.

I'm assuming it will be a mix of the Wireless Routers S/N and MAC address.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Netgear's routers may be highly questionable products with volatile firmware but they do give the Hot Beef Injection as far as security goes. You've got MAC Address access control, wireless client isolation (meaning nobody who breaks into your wireless network can access the router or other wireless clients), SSID broadcast disable, and the latest and greatest encryption available.
  • Options
    Netgear's routers may be highly questionable products with volatile firmware but they do give the Hot Beef Injection as far as security goes. You've got MAC Address access control, wireless client isolation (meaning nobody who breaks into your wireless network can access the router or other wireless clients), SSID broadcast disable, and the latest and greatest encryption available.

I can do all that with my WRT54G.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I might but still undecided so far
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I can do all that with my WRT54G.

But a lot of it doesn't work that well on your router from what I've read, especially since there are so many different versions and firmwares.
  • Options
    But a lot of it doesn't work that well on your router from what I've read, especially since there are so many different versions and firmwares.

I've haven't really had any problems. I'm just saying that those features are not exclusive to NetGear. You might be right though.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Reliable, low latency connectivity should be the focus for wireless. Even a good implementation of Wireless N rarely results in a drastically better wireless experience. I want the major consumer WAP producers to make more reliable products, and I want to see 802.11 achieve consistent latencies under 30ms. Gigabit doesn't seem like it meets a real need, to me.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I just purchased a Cisco/Linksys EA4500 to replace my dying 5+ year old WRT330n... so no.

This EA4500 is supposed to be able to do up to 900Mbps (450Mbps + 450Mbps).

Not a Netgear fan at all, had some of their stuff in the past and always had problems with it.

So I guess I'll be sticking with what I have for a while. It is working out great so far. It sits in my basement, and I have a good signal all the way on the 2nd floor of my house.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Reliable, low latency connectivity should be the focus for wireless. Even a good implementation of Wireless N rarely results in a drastically better wireless experience. I want the major consumer WAP producers to make more reliable products, and I want to see 802.11 achieve consistent latencies under 30ms. Gigabit doesn't seem like it meets a real need, to me.

I average latency of 5ms with my new wireless router to wireless devices, and it is a consumer grade device.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    I average latency of 5ms with my new wireless router to wireless devices, and it is a consumer grade device.
    Not bad, but have you performed significant testing while it was seeing constant use from multiple sources? I don't mean to imply cheap 802.11 devices can't achieve low latency; it's just that I've not seen one consistently perform well under load. I've used Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys, mostly.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Not bad, but have you performed significant testing while it was seeing constant use from multiple sources? I don't mean to imply cheap 802.11 devices can't achieve low latency; it's just that I've not seen one consistently perform well under load. I've used Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys, mostly.

Streaming Netflix simultaneously to 2 different devices (wireless), website traffic (inbound) to 3 domains that I host at home going through it, 1 desktop (wired, streaming Pandora, surfing this forum and a few other sites), 1 laptop (work, connected both wired and wireless, accessing e-mail, and making calls through Lync), 1 printer, and 5 VMs, all routing traffic through it at the same time.

All of that was going on during my test. 0 packet loss, average response time of 5ms over 1500 packets sent.
  • Options
    I'll have to consider a EA4500 at some point in my near future.