Explain the Internet (in one sentence) :)

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
I was asked to do this the other day and wasn't able to. Maybe it's just me, but explaining the internet in one sentence is a lot harder than it seems. I guess I just can't simplify it enough, so I resorted to telling the person it was all magic. icon_lol.gif Not sure if they believed me...
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    One of the most common short definitions is "a global network of networks". What is your audience? What was the purpose of trying to explain it in one sentence? Yes, I tend to over-analyze stuff.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Q: What is the Internet?

A: The Internet is a series of tubes designed to facilitate efficient distribution of funny cat photos.

funny-pictures-animal-memes-business-cat-maybe-if-it-didnt-look-so-much-like-string.jpg
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The internet is a network of networks. That is the response I'd have given.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Best I can come up with at the moment is this. It's pretty vague and i dont know what context or additional parameters may be required.

The internet is a worldwide network of shared knowledge and social interaction.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There is only ONE Internet, so capitalize the "I".

;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "It's a series of tubes."

No, but really...

The Internet is the decentralized, international, intercontinental, computer network consisting of public, private, and governmental computer networks.

Maybe that doesn't explain it, but it at least defines it in one sentence.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Internet is that which connects all the peoples of the world together; but only if you pay your power bill.

I was actually asked to explain "What happens when I ping Google?", at a recent job interview. I spent a good 45 minutes explaining the most basic, high-level aspects of how the Internet works. ;)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    The Internet is a network of autonomous networks which provides global connectivity.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A network of interconnected networks.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One network to rule them all, one network to find them,One network to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The first thought that came into my mind was "the hackers playground".....
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    "Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi"
    Non-native English speaker
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The internet is not just something you **** something on, it's not a truck.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%