Websites to see if your security clearance is active or once was active?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've held public trust, secret and a few others. I was wondering if there was a website that would reflect your previous history?

Even if they aren't active it might take some of the risk from the employer if you mentioned previously held XYZ clearance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    No. There are databases that have the information you seek but they are only available to government agencies. You cannot access them or any of the data contained therein unless you are authorized to do so as an employee of the government or the armed forces with appropriate clearance level. If an employer wants to verify that you had a security clearance - and they can only do so if the employer is one which has clearances issued - they simply make a request to the appropriate parties in the government and your previous clearance will be confirmed and any relevant information gathered about you during background investigations or the period in which your clearance was active will be disclosed if needed. If you are applying for a job with an employer which does not use clearances in any capacity, do not bother putting it on your resume or making a point of mentioning it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll leave them on LI and only put them on my resume when required. That's what I have been doing lately.

Regards
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are applying for a job with an employer which does not use clearances in any capacity, do not bother putting it on your resume or making a point of mentioning it.

I don't know I don't think it hurts to have them on there, don't want to shove it in there faces, but mentioning it wont harm your application.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To the original question, there is no publically accessible way to verify clearances. The system is built that way on purpose. I also agree with DevilWAH, it doesn't hurt to mention them briefly on a resume. I think a potential employer can appreciate that a candidate held a position of trust.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    I appreciate the replies.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    To the original question, there is no publically accessible way to verify clearances. The system is built that way on purpose. I also agree with DevilWAH, it doesn't hurt to mention them briefly on a resume. I think a potential employer can appreciate that a candidate held a position of trust.

It wouldn't make a lick of difference to me as I was reviewing a resume. Since I can't verify it, and since I've had many experiences with people.... enhancing their resume, I would totally and utterly ignore any listed security clearances.
    I would too unless I was working for a defense contractor or another service provider who requires their employees to have those clearances.

But you never know it may be of value with certain employers. I think there is a good chance that small and mid sized companies would be indifferent about the clearances while large companies might take interest. Especially if those companies did business with Government agencies that require those types of clearances.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    N2IT wrote: »
    I would too unless I was working for a defense contractor or another service provider who requires their employees to have those clearances.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I work for neither of those cases, and as such, I have no recourse to validate what's on the resume. So I treat it as if it's not there, and if it's positioned prominently, I may even mark down as if it were a garish logo.
    But you never know it may be of value with certain employers. I think there is a good chance that small and mid sized companies would be indifferent about the clearances while large companies might take interest. Especially if those companies did business with Government agencies that require those types of clearances.

If the position requires a clearance, then you'll have an avenue to validate it. After all, it'd look pretty silly to send someone who says they have a clearance but really doesn't as your security cleared liason.

I don't disagree with you, if you work in an environment where security clearances matter, by all means, list it. If you don't and aren't applying for a job where it's necessary, I'd think twice about it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't disagree with you, if you work in an environment where security clearances matter, by all means, list it. If you don't and aren't applying for a job where it's necessary, I'd think twice about it.

To add to what Forsaken said, if one has been in a position of trust during his entire career, mentioning clearance when it isn't necessary really adds no value, in my opinion. For example, as a DBA, I am entrusted to safeguard PI on databases. The nature of my job requires that I be deemed trustworthy. This is where years of experience comes into play (my current and past employers have never had to pay for people's credit reports because we got hacked or some other nonsense.) The fact that I have always had access to sensitive data and it was NEVER accessed unethically tells future prospective employers that I can be trusted.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have TS clearance. But I would HATE to have my past scrutinized to obtain such a clearance. I have nothing to hide, but at the same time I don't want to go through that hassle. I would bet though that the number of IT professionals who safeguard PI on a daily basis far outnumber thoses who do it with any sort of security clearance. Which is why I personally think its a non-issue.
    It's on my LinkedIn not on my resume.

I'll leave it at that.

As always thanks for your opinions, always valuable.
  • KPLCKPLC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DSS / Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) or US Office of Personnel Management would be places to check out.

JPAS is the what I seen on my paperwork when the Army ran my clearance.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I was to list it I would defiantly list it in some kind of context. Such as under a previous employment, if you worked for "European Defence Agency" no harm putting in that section you worked under MOD security [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]clearance.

I suppose almost every company I have worked as has required security clearance of some kind (currently going through another application as we speak) so for me its kind of a given.

But to be honest it wont make a difference to if you get picked for a job. I am not going to pick some one less able to do the job just cause they have clearance in place. I might be interested to read you have Security clearance and what you have done with it, but its not going to move you CV up the pile.
    [/FONT]
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah my past employers used JPAS to verify my past clearances.
  • MajorMulliganMajorMulligan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CISSP and wish to have them verify my old Secret Clearance status I had through the DOD back in 1996-2000. I am curious of (ISC) has the ability to verify this through DSS / JPAS? Anyone know?

Thanks!