Options

StudISCope feedback (SSCP in particular)

vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I bought the Set 1,2,3 package from StudISCope for a whopping $109 and figured since I just finished reading Darril Gibson's SSCP book (used only that book), I figured I'd take it to see how I fared up to this point.

After taking the first set A, I scored a 60%. I was pretty sure I got low because of A) the wording of the questions and B) the depth of the questions.

As for the "wording", for ex. there was a question that asked about 802.x components and one of the choices was "supplicant system". At first, I was like, "What does that even mean???". Of course after taking it, I had to Google the definition and then seeing that "ah ha" moment, that I already knew that of course 802.1x needs a client end piece. But how about since I didn't know what supplicant was? Are we allowed to ask the proctors to be a dictionary and ask what the hell those cryptic words mean??

Also 1 or 2 questions were really advanced and for sure were not covered in the SSCP book. It was asking about what network protocol would be the fastest to come back if it went offline and it listed protocols like OSPF/RIP, etc and I was like, "uhh this is a Cisco CCNA exam?????!" Another was a "black hole" question and off the bat since I did take CCENT, I knew what that was but for sure was not covered in the book.

I went back to the relevant chapter of Darril Gibson's book and saw no references to any specific IP routing protocols. I surely hope the real SSCP exam is not like this since my test is in 6 days and I will be nowhere near ready if this practice test from StudISCope is any indication to the real exam...

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can you reschedule it? That's the official practice test from ISC(2), right?

https://www.isc2.org/studiscope/Default.aspx
  • Options
    Yea I can, as long as they get an email within 48hrs of the start date of the exam BUT I have a few years of experience under my belt and it's not like I don't know the material, I think it was just the wording that really screwed it up. I just have to get used to their cryptic meanings since they clearly don't like putting out questions in plain english. **sarcasm**

Plus, I already booked my flight and hotel so I can't cancel that one or I forfeit a huge chunk. I think it's from orbitz or hotwire I forget.

Plan of attack is really study hard this week and have another go at another set of practice questions since I bought the 3 set pack.

EDIT: yes, that's where I bought it from. Their overpriced, money-making store for their Official books and over-priced quizes haha. CISSP quizes were over 200bucks..good grief..
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You don't sound bitter at all :) Just teasing...

Have you read JD's blog article on his experience with the SSCP? Might be worth a read before the exam: The SSCP Certification Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs

I'm probably going to go after the SSCP next year.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    vsecgod wrote: »
    So I bought the Set 1,2,3 package from StudISCope for a whopping $109 and figured since I just finished reading Darril Gibson's SSCP book (used only that book), I figured I'd take it to see how I fared up to this point.
    The stuISCope practice exams are the most similar to actual (ISC)2 exam items, so they are a good measure, but as they are used in official (ISC)2 courses, they tend to be more difficult than the actual exam questions for teaching purposes.
    As for the "wording", for ex. there was a question that asked about 802.x components and one of the choices was "supplicant system". At first, I was like, "What does that even mean???". Of course after taking it, I had to Google the definition and then seeing that "ah ha" moment, that I already knew that of course 802.1x needs a client end piece. But how about since I didn't know what supplicant was? Are we allowed to ask the proctors to be a dictionary and ask what the hell those cryptic words mean??
    You are allowed to use a standard English dictionary, but not a technical dictionary. The term "supplicant" is used in 802.1X terminology, so even a basic explanation of 802.1X will include this term.
    Also 1 or 2 questions were really advanced and for sure were not covered in the SSCP book.
    The Official SSCP CBK Study Guide does not necessarily cover all of the topics you may see on the SSCP exam. The SSCP Candidate Information Bulletin contains the recommended reference materials. The SSCP CBK book is just the primary reference.
    I will be nowhere near ready if this practice test from StudISCope is any indication to the real exam...
    The studISCope questions are created by a group entirely separate from the exam item writing group. As I said, the studISCope items are teaching and evaluation material very similar to the exam items, but are likely broader in scope and more difficult than many of the items you will see on the actual exam. This is what makes these materials of great value for exam preparation.
  • Options
    Hey JD, thanks for your reply. How do you know the practice tests from StudISCope are meant to be harder than the real exam? You work at ISC2 or something? If you are correct, then that will be a good sigh of relief for me. My attack plan is to brush up hard for the next couple days and take the 2nd set of practice set I bought and see from there if I have improved.

As for a dictionary, do they actually give you one with the tests or you go up to the proctor and he/she has one ready or something? In any case, that is comforting to know I can rely on a dictionary if I don't quite understand the word their asking for.
  • Options
    Hey JD, thanks for your reply. How do you know the practice tests from StudISCope are meant to be harder than the real exam? You work at ISC2 or something?
    Nope, I've never worked for an (ISC)2 paycheck, but I have authored CISSP and SSCP studISCope material as a volunteer item writer. The entire process is from the point of view of educating to the CBK and not to the content of the actual exams.
    As for a dictionary, do they actually give you one with the tests or you go up to the proctor and he/she has one ready or something? In any case, that is comforting to know I can rely on a dictionary if I don't quite understand the word their asking for.
    These rules should be found in the SSCP Candidate Information Bulletin. As I remember, only a standard English language dictionary is allowed. If English is your first language then you won't need it.
  • Options
    Ohhh thats what you meant by dictionary. I forgot the ISC2 is popular outside the US too. Hopefully I won't run into weird words like that. So far, took the practice tests that came with the Darril Gibson SSCP and passed with a 87%. Gonna take the 2nd set of the StudISCope here soon since those really are a little more vague and since you mentioned those replicate the exam, I'll focus on those. The practice exams from the SSCP book were really a "you know the definition or you don't" kinda exam, which was way easier if you ask me.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took (and passed) the exam in February and I too used the Darril Gibson book and the StudISCope exams as part of my preparation. I can tell you that everything JD has said about the StudISCope practice exams is right on the money. Of all the practice exams I took for the SSCP the StudISCope ones were by far the best to approximate the difficulty of the exam. The actual exam is tough and you will want to make sure that you are very comfortable with all the CBK topics.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure you read each question multiple times so you fully understand what is being asked and take your time! You have quite a bit of time for this exam; no reason to rush through it. In my opinion the wording of the actual exam questions are fair and at least to me weren't confusing at all. A lot of the questions will be phrased like "Which is the best choice" or "Which is the most effective".

Best of luck on your exam!
  • Options
    awesome, good to know another guy was in the same boat as me in terms of the book and the practice exams so I can easily relate. What scores were you getting on the practice exam so I know if I'm ready? :)
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    awesome, good to know another guy was in the same boat as me in terms of the book and the practice exams so I can easily relate. What scores were you getting on the practice exam so I know if I'm ready? :)

Take a look at this thread I started while preparing for the SSCP exam. I talk about the practice tests, scores, and more in better detail:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/72987-sscp-practice-tests.html
  • Options
    ahh I remember that thread now. I didn't realize at first you were the guy that took it. I did read your thread awhile back but its good I saw it again, reminded me on what guidelines to follow:)
  • Options
    ahhhh soooo freaking out right now. Test is tomorrow and I had all week to study (which I hammered it with every opportunity I had) since taking the 1st StudISCope set on Monday and scored a 60%. Just now took the 2nd StudISCope set and scored even lower, 48%.

In the middle of this week, I also took the two practice MasterExam tests that came with Darril Gibson's book and scored 87% and 96% so I don't get why I'm doing good with those vs the StudISCope ones.

I feel prepared though with the topics from Darril's book but for some reason the StudISCope is tripping me up bad, and bad as in there are a lot of technical stuff that is not even covered in Darril's book. I even went through the wrong questions and looked up the relevant section in the book and the book was nowhere near the technical depth the StudISCope questions asked for.

I am seriously hoping JDMurray was right about StudISCope being meant to be hard vs the real exam. I don't even know if hard is the right term because as I mentioned, there are some questions that aren't even covered in the book unless you were to read the other books they claim to be referencing.

I am going to run through the material one more try from now and even while hopping planes since I got a bunch of free time till my exam tomorrow and I will also attempt my last set of StudISCope practice exam so I will update everyone if I pass or noticon_sad.gif
  • Options
    there are some questions that aren't even covered in the book unless you were to read the other books they claim to be referencing.
    Once again, the references suggested to study for the SSCP exam are listed in the SSCP Candidate Information Bulletin, and not just to read the Official SSCP CBK Study Guide. And yes, I know there are a lot of them.

Good luck tomorrow; I know you'll knock the exam dead! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    daryle7901daryle7901 Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you ever pass this test vsecgod? You stopped posting the day before your test with no update.
  • Options
    oh yea, sorry I did:) passed it. Those practice tests from ISC is total junk. Way harder if you ask me and alot of the questions, I'd go back to Darril's book and that particular topic wasn't even covered so I'd take those practice tests with a grain of salt... As long as you know the topics in his book, you're good to go.