Complementary Certification in LINUX.

Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, im currently working on my CCNA and will be accomplishing it shortly, i am looking forward to the CCNA-Security path and wanted to know about the best complementary (Basic) certification in LINUX that i can go for to enhance my profile as a network security professional.

I honestly know nothing about LINUX and also don't understand where to start from.

Thanks and regards.

Comments

• jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Probably Linux+ from CompTIA
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like jsb515 said, Linux+ would be the way to go.
  • Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys..!! :)
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No problem, let us know if you need any other help!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Download any of the free distributions (cd/dvd/usb bootable) and play with it, Linux plus is a good start.

Keep in mind that the "Live' bootable versions hide a lot of "admin" experience/work that you would gain by actually installing a distro from the installer/packager vs. something where all is already configed to boot as "ready to go".

Imho.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I've read over the years, experienced myself, and see on these forums, it seems like installing Debian, CentOS, or Slackware to a VM or spare PC is the best way to go for this. I wouldn't use LiveCD or similar for learning for exactly the reasons JeanM describes. Linux+ also seems like a logical starting point, to me.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    Thanks JeanM and ptilsen.
    But i dont have a spare PC.. icon_sad.gif
    Can i use my existing Win 7 PC and make it a dual boot with Linux???
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You probably could, but I think you'd be better off using a VM if you have no experience making/using multi-boot machines. VirtualBox would be my first suggestion.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can.

Debian (I believe) has a very friendly installer. You can install and uninstall in windows. As well as dual boot like you did it the long way. It's pretty darn slick.

If you want to get used to linux. You'll need to force yourself.. and dual booting isn't really forcing yourself to learn. Take the leap, install a full linux computer. You'll have problems, everyone does their first time. Learn to use it by using it - not by going to Windows when it gets hard. Love to read, and be ready to learn a lot. With steam actually coming to Linux - yay.

I tried to study linux+ while ICND2. Not enough time, my brain has already been muddled with concepts, commands and the cisco. Study for one exam at a time.

I believe there's a new linux cert, aimed at a more entry-level position than Linux+. I don't remember what it was called though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I still remember the days of installing Slackware from floppy disks, and having to re-compile the kernel and config dial up and ppp, oh and X to pick up my video card.. Still have my first Linux book called "Running Linux" to this day.

You can use VM as mentioned, virtual box or player/workstation by vmware may work as well. Linux+ is pretty good, I think the other one is LPIC http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think Comptia Linux + is a great start too or you can do another Linux cert LP1/LP2 which they say are basic. Read Below:
    "CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI is a high-stakes, vendor-neutral certification that validates the fundamental knowledge and skills required of junior Linux administrators.
    Two exams are necessary to be certified: LX0-101 and LX0-102. LX0-101 covers system architecture; Linux Installation and package management; GNU and Unix commands; devices, Linux filesystems, and filesystem hierarchy standard. LX0-102 covers shells, scripting and data management; user interfaces and desktops; administrative tasks; essential system services; networking fundamentals; security.

A new benefit for CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI candidates is that they may choose, at the time they take the exams, to have their exam record forwarded to the Linux Professional Institute. Certification in CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI, attained by passing CompTIA exams LX0-101 and LX0-102, enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program if the candidate chooses. Please note that CompTIA maintains candidate-confidential records for all exam takers, for their own access and use for employment or educational purposes. Any choice to forward an exam record to LPI is made only by the candidate.

Candidate job roles include junior Linux administrator, junior network administrator, systems administrator, Linux database administrator and web administrator. Companies such as Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo and Xerox recommend or require CompTIA Linux+."
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    linux+ and lpic-1 go hand in hand. Pretty much you pass one, you can get the other test at the same time. My "All In One" Linux+ book has LPIC-1 also listed. I read the first chapter about it's history, and cisco sucked me in. -_-
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I think Comptia Linux + is a great start too or you can do another Linux cert LP1/LP2 which they say are basic. Read Below:
    "CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI is a high-stakes, vendor-neutral certification that validates the fundamental knowledge and skills required of junior Linux administrators.
    Two exams are necessary to be certified: LX0-101 and LX0-102. LX0-101 covers system architecture; Linux Installation and package management; GNU and Unix commands; devices, Linux filesystems, and filesystem hierarchy standard. LX0-102 covers shells, scripting and data management; user interfaces and desktops; administrative tasks; essential system services; networking fundamentals; security.

A new benefit for CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI candidates is that they may choose, at the time they take the exams, to have their exam record forwarded to the Linux Professional Institute. Certification in CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI, attained by passing CompTIA exams LX0-101 and LX0-102, enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program if the candidate chooses. Please note that CompTIA maintains candidate-confidential records for all exam takers, for their own access and use for employment or educational purposes. Any choice to forward an exam record to LPI is made only by the candidate.

Candidate job roles include junior Linux administrator, junior network administrator, systems administrator, Linux database administrator and web administrator. Companies such as Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo and Xerox recommend or require CompTIA Linux+."

Precisely, what I wanted to know :). thanks
  • jlacroixjlacroix Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hold Linux+. I had a ton of fun studying for it. Linux+ also gets you LPIC-1, which also gets you Novell CLA, which also gets you Novell DCTS. Four for the price of one! When I took the Linux+, I was under the impression that I was actually taking the LPIC-1 test with CompTIA's logo stamped on it.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Don't just rely on the certificate course work to learn linux and associated skills

Grab a few different iso's and setup a few different distros in vm's (virtual box is free)
    and use them for day to day tasks.

Can recommend the book Python for Unix and Linux System Administration

also Python for system administrators

For fedora, a good post install doc is Personal Fedora 16 Installation Guide
    Though fedora is a lot more bleeding edge(uptodate) than some other distros

I'd use centos 6 (free version of redhat 6) and ubutunu.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014