Options

New guy from the D with some questions...need help

detroitaldetroital Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Some background for me. I grew up in the late 70's and went to school in the 80's. When I went to electronics classes in the 80's we had pc's (no hard drives). So a lot of change. I worked in computers (what I would call a miniframe). It was a Sperry Univac V77 series, you used buttons and pushed them in the correct order to get it to run...:) Now current era. I have a degree in BMET that's Bio-medical engineering technology, medical equipment repair. So here it is. The Biomed world is very quicly turning more and more to IT. With my background (I also worked a HelpDesk briefly) I see what is coming but am not sure how to go. That is, I see that networking will be huge and it also would help to know the hardware (A+ Net +). That is the dilemma. On the one hand, I know A+ can help me. On the other the exams kept changing and I never got in and did the work. Now I am so confused I am not sure where to start. Can you folks tell me, if you were starting over (remember I have to study for all certs I go for) where would you start? Used to be that A+ was the place to go. I am questioning the need for it looking at it from the POV that I may not use it/ On the other hand it will always help and the MS/CISCO stuff can wait. So to sum up...

a) Are the A+ exams going to change again and you have to keep studying over again for each one and is it worth it?
b) If I am looking for MCITP and or CISCO is A+/ Net + necessary at this stage in the game?
C) What would you recommend for self study? I will be bringing an elderly relative home and will also be a caretaker for a while at least.
D) If I get the chance would it be better to get a degree in college first in Computer science?

Thank you for your responses...

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    a. not worth it = $10/15 per hr to me is crap
    b. no
    c. ccna self study book from amazon and cbt nuggets videos
    d. i believe that the cost efficient and time efficient way are certifications. A company doesnt hire someone to deal with various technologies and programming like computer science. Its either you deal with cisco devices = cisco certs OR microsoft OS = MCITP

You want to find a job fast? get MCITP or CCNA. It will also help if you are okay with relocating.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    okay with relocating.

don't expect miracles even if you get some certs unless you are willing to move where the jobs are (and hey you might get lucky and already live in a location that has tons of opportunities).
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    detroital wrote: »
    a) Are the A+ exams going to change again and you have to keep studying over again for each one and is it worth it?
    b) If I am looking for MCITP and or CISCO is A+/ Net + necessary at this stage in the game?
    C) What would you recommend for self study? I will be bringing an elderly relative home and will also be a caretaker for a while at least.
    D) If I get the chance would it be better to get a degree in college first in Computer science?

Thank you for your responses...

I didn't look at the most recent data from CompTIA, but the last major change was that some programs (including A+ I think) had to have continuing education credits to stay current, in the past CompTIA certs were lifetime, and that made me feel good for an exam that was almost $300 dollars. Now, the only two that seem relevant (my opinion) are A+, mainly because some places still require it to work on hardware, and Security+ because DoD requires it from their IT contractors.

Regarding the MCITP and Cisco, you can learn a good amount of Windows server technology from home, provided that you have a machine with a good amount of RAM (probably 8GB, more is better) and some virtualization software. VMware Workstation is nice but it costs around $190, Virtual box is free. With your pc, virtualization software and eval versions of Windows, you could get a book and learn on your own. Cisco is harder to learn on your own, so unless you can get your hands on hardware, there is a nice program called packet tracer that is "out there" on the internet.

You can self study, but it really depends on the kind of person that you are...for video training, I recommend TrainSignal, they have top notch videos, but they can run $300-400 a pop.

My opinion on degrees is that employers can pick and choose, so if the cost is prohibitive, a degree can only help. My personal opinion is that you can learn just as much, if not more on your own, and just by sheer experience. I was in IT long before I had a degree, I decided to earn my degree because I wanted to improve my marketability, but I didn't learn any new IT skills while in school. Of course, if it were someone that had zero experience, a degree is obviously more useful than just filling a quota.

It's hard for me to recommend any specific route for you to take, but I hope you do well with your decision.
  • Options
    thanks for your responses...I have to ask, I also am kind of stuck between MCITP and (Cisco CCNA). In the brief time reading I have seen some who are doing CISCO first others MS. What sayest you? MS MCITP appeals to me but looks like a lot more work correct? Not saying CISCO is no work, not at all. Just looks like it could be better to understand the networking stuff 1st... I am not afraid of work but I need to get paid for it...for that reason I am thinking CISCO first...I want to ask also...is the MS MCITP harder to learn on your own? If I am at home I could theoretically buy the server 08 sw to become proficient. However, I am not sure about that either. Thanks again...
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to ask also...is the MS MCITP harder to learn on your own? If I am at home I could theoretically buy the server 08 sw to become proficient. However, I am not sure about that either. Thanks again...

This is why I ended up going with Cisco. I was initially more interested in getting into Microsoft stuff (had an MCSE a hundred years ago) but in terms of building up a lab suitable for studying on my own, Cisco was much more accessible. I spent like 300 bucks and got a decent selection of older Cisco stuff to play with (3 routers, 4 switches). I'm not totally sure how much it would be to set up a reasonable lab to work on Server 2008, if you want to do anything other than practice installing it on one computer, but I'm thinking it would be more than that.
  • Options
    Thanks! Yes the software itself was over 700 dollars for Server 2008. Could find it cheaper maybe...I was concerned about that, but I suppose getting into the CISCO end of things may actually give me a better background for the MS...if I ever do that. It looks like CISCO may be the way to go for now. Those lab kits I am seeing look like a good deal BTW. It will be easier than CBT as I need no time constraints for study with my family situation...
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Yes the software itself was over 700 dollars for Server 2008. Could find it cheaper maybe...I was concerned about that, but I suppose getting into the CISCO end of things may actually give me a better background for the MS...if I ever do that. It looks like CISCO may be the way to go for now. Those lab kits I am seeing look like a good deal BTW. It will be easier than CBT as I need no time constraints for study with my family situation...

You don't have to spend anything to setup a Windows lab...well, unless you don't have a powerful enough PC to push the VMs. Virtual Box is free, and you can download evals for Windows server. As long as your physical machine has the hardware, you can install and run multiple copies of Windows, both client and server.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hold the horses. You have a degree in BMET. So what do you work on day to day? Is it electronics, embedded coding, EMI testing, something else?
    The MS stuff is for servers and that end of things. Cisco is for the networks that carry the data. It's great to have both, but where do your interests lie?

Also, there are more exams with MS in order to get started - support, servers, messaging, etc. With Cisco, it's getting the hang of networks (local and wide).
    Get a book or two on MS and Cisco, and read at your leisure. Maybe you can get them in the library. Test the waters first before splashing out on a lab, or server and see which you'd prefer.

I went for a job interview when I was on holiday in the states, and it was pointed out to me that I don't have an A+, and the guy who said it knows his stuff. First time that's happened to me (some of what I have is on the side here), but having looked over its curriculum, I can understand why. It just proves that you know the guts of computers.
    Honestly, I imagine that half to most of the people I graduated uni with would fail the A+. Then again, most of them went into software engineering.
  • Options
    MickQ wrote: »
    Hold the horses. You have a degree in BMET. So what do you work on day to day? Is it electronics, embedded coding, EMI testing, something else?
    The MS stuff is for servers and that end of things. Cisco is for the networks that carry the data. It's great to have both, but where do your interests lie?

Also, there are more exams with MS in order to get started - support, servers, messaging, etc. With Cisco, it's getting the hang of networks (local and wide).
    Get a book or two on MS and Cisco, and read at your leisure. Maybe you can get them in the library. Test the waters first before splashing out on a lab, or server and see which you'd prefer.

I went for a job interview when I was on holiday in the states, and it was pointed out to me that I don't have an A+, and the guy who said it knows his stuff. First time that's happened to me (some of what I have is on the side here), but having looked over its curriculum, I can understand why. It just proves that you know the guts of computers.
    Honestly, I imagine that half to most of the people I graduated uni with would fail the A+. Then again, most of them went into software engineering.

Currently unemployed. I am in a bad situation with a family member that has to be addressed. I was working in a big hospital and going no where as a biomed. After two years I left and pursued other opportunities that did not work out. I am looking at networking because of the situation with my family member (Mom). I have to take care of her. While I am doing that I need to upgrade my skills anyways. I was looking at doing a two yr MS deal for MCITP but that is not possible because of Mom. I would be better at home with the CISCO (IMHO) I can get it done more at my pace. It is not necessary maybe to do the A+ but I do agree about the A+ for SOME not all employers. If I get the Networking thing going well, I will do good. It is a very educated decision,based on a lot of educated input...some from here some not. Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't have to spend anything to setup a Windows lab...well, unless you don't have a powerful enough PC to push the VMs. Virtual Box is free, and you can download evals for Windows server. As long as your physical machine has the hardware, you can install and run multiple copies of Windows, both client and server.

Right, my home PC is ancient. I think smoke would come out if I tried to virtualize anything. My laptop is better but yeah.

And in my case that really wasn't the only reason to choose Cisco. But it was a factor..
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At the end of the day, you'll have to have a decent PC to run GNS3 for simulating routers (CCNA and up).
    You'll probably get away with a standard (3 year old) laptop for running other companies' simulators for the CCNA, but for multiple routers, virtual servers (MS) you're going to need RAM, good CPU and quick hard drive access won't hurt.

You know your own situation better than anyone else, so studying on the laptop, or reading books whilst caresitting might or might not be an option.