Options

Cloud Computing 'May Be a Lot of Hot Air'

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Cloud Computing 'May Be a Lot of Hot Air'
Wisegate, which bills itself as the anti-social network for senior IT professionals, polled its members – IT execs from midsized and large companies – and found that 53 percent had "no near-term plans" to adopt the cloud for its company's critical data. That prompted the company to wonder if the cloud computing craze is nothing but "a lot of hot air."
The law seems to be getting in the way for some companies. A number said government or industry regulations (such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley) prevent them from adopting cloud-based applications.

Comments

• Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I can't believe there's even that many companies thinking about adopting it. I would never trust anything sensitive on someone elses server... I guess the lower costs outweigh the risks.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How dare you pour cold water on The Cloud. We for one welcome our Cloud Overlords....

Seriously though, I think it's somewhat overblown. The Cloud is here to stay in someways, but it's not going to overtake aspect of IT. In someways it will/has changed things permanently, like mobile computing.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The law seems to be getting in the way for some companies. A number said government or industry regulations (such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley) prevent them from adopting cloud-based applications.

Well yeah I always figured this would be a problem but it is going to get big for everything else for the mainstream users out there. The money making potential is there and you can't really ignore it.

When the industry wants to get the business side of business that has to adhere to the policies, I am sure they will find ways to become compliant in some way OR the standards recognize the changes and adapts the policies to find a way to include cloud storage.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Well yeah I always figured this would be a problem but it is going to get big for everything else for the mainstream users out there. The money making potential is there and you can't really ignore it.

My contention for cloud computing has never been with mainstream users. In fact, my favorite cloud application has to be Dropbox. I love never having to have a thumb drive, and plus I don't mind having school papers and general stuff for work on there (I don't trust the cloud with personal info or confidential work information.) The issue here is having enterprises go to cloud for stuff like databases with PIs, and confidential-proprietary information sitting there (other than e-mail and CRM type of things.) Data that needs to stay in-house may not easily be put into the cloud because of regulatory laws like HIPAA.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tr1x wrote: »
    I can't believe there's even that many companies thinking about adopting it. I would never trust anything sensitive on someone elses server... I guess the lower costs outweigh the risks.

Not all clouds are public.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »

Exactly my thought. Many companies don't realize they can leverage the power of the cloud by controlling the infrastructure. At the MSP I was at, we had a number of clients who hired us to move their servers to a data center and then setup Citrix to allow them global access to all their apps and data. Specifically, since they cite HIPAA, we setup a medical client with about 20 remote offices and one HQ up on Citrix to do everything. All was within HIPAA compliance and it worked out extremely well for them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Am I alone in wondering what the difference is between a "private cloud" and a "geographically dispersed cluster"? As far as I can tell they're the same thing, which means that Microsoft have been talking about "private clouds" since 2003...
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213

So no communications go over the internet? This isn't the only concern though, what about the people managing the servers where these confidential files reside.. couldn't they look at them?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Saundie wrote: »
    Am I alone in wondering what the difference is between a "private cloud" and a "geographically dispersed cluster"? As far as I can tell they're the same thing, which means that Microsoft have been talking about "private clouds" since 2003...
    You are correct. A geographically dispersed cluster is the technical implementation of the cloud. The business side or logical way to represent it may be as a "cloud", but that is exactly what it is.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can see places like schools running from the cloud - in fact, I know of one doing so right now. They're running software that used to be installed on the local servers, but now runs from the state office.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have my own private cloud but only when I eat Thai food.
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    You are correct. A geographically dispersed cluster is the technical implementation of the cloud. The business side or logical way to represent it may be as a "cloud", but that is exactly what it is.

That's a relief. I guess I can start working towards getting over my prejudice towards the term "the cloud" now.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    ptilsen wrote: »

A cluster (even geographically separate) unites hardware to appear as a single resource while the "cloud" goes a step further, pooling resources in order to allocate multiple fractions of those resources as single instances. Or at least, that's how I understand it.

ETA: Private clouds are what I think will be the result of all this. Also, public storage (dropbox, icloud, etc.) and IaaS are becoming norms as well. Although, I think IaaS will be largely privatized as well. Once Openstack is a bit more seasoned.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness