Options

Do you have to do Continuing Education?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi if you have to do Continuing Education can you post what it is that you are qualified in?

I'm interested to know what careers require Continuing Education. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In IT you really don't "have" to do continuing education, however if you are looking to expand your skills, or get a new higher paying job they can only help to pick them up. It really depends on a persons goals and expectations for their future plans on if they go for certifications or just pass on them all. I've seen people who have gone both ways and some have moved up far, others haven't. It does seem that those who move up the most or continually end up picking up certifications to get better paying and higher level jobs.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on your situation you may be required to do some continuing education. Many of your certifications like the CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CEH, or anything SANS require you to earn some sort of CPE's or CEU's. These are available through various activities so if you wish to maintain any of these certifications you will have to do some form of continuing education. But "continuing education" does not necessarily mean school or college classes.

HTH,

~CP
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    lister wrote: »
    Hi if you have to do Continuing Education can you post what it is that you are qualified in?

I'm interested to know what careers require Continuing Education. Thanks

For ME anyone who works in IT and wants to be good at there job needs to continually learn and educate them selves. Lets be honest Technology is always changing! So you always need to know whats changing and how (Abit normally in your chosen field) But to stay/get on top in your game you ALWAYS need to be learning.

To put it another way and am showing my age here! if I was happy supporting windows 3.0 or 95 and got a job where I had to support Windows 7 would I be able to do the Job?? Chances are I would fall flat on my face. Am using windows here as an example. But just qualifications do not the tech make (Sorry guys Yoda moment icon_smile.gif )I am qualified with MS and Cisco to name but a few. But I can also set up telephony be it Cisco or Avaya but am not qualified to do either. But do I read up on new advancements in this area?? too right I do.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'