Options

IDEA!!!

Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
icon_idea.gif
Can we start a section were poeple can post labs that they have created using Boson Netsim For CCNP?

I think it would be great for everyone here to challenge each other by making labs and letting others try to do them!

Comments

• Options
    kjpou1kjpou1 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think that is a great idea.
  • Options
    WebMaster, Is it possible to make a section were we can freely

upload/download the Boson files?

I think theirs a decent number of people here that have Boson Netsim for CCNP. If you own equiptment you can still print the lab layouts by using free demo version of Boson and you can do labs using real equiptment!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    WebMaster, Is it possible to make a section were we can freely

upload/download the Boson files?

I'm not familiar with the boson file format, but I assume it isn't 'just' text. Right? If it was, I could create a sticky where people can reply with the 'configs'.

I'm sure I can set up something that would allow you to share binary files. An option would be an attachment feature for forum posts, but that wouldn't be my first choice for a while, due to technical, security, and performance issues. Another option is an FTP account specifically for this. I'd be the only one allowed to share the username and password. That way I can limit the available disk space on our server (plenty though), and have some control over who uses it. I.e. you would be able to upload it and just link to it in your post so everyone can download it (www.techexams.net/labconfigs/fuloser_lab1.xxx)

Can you give me some info about the files? Format and general size?
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Perhaps you could do somethin like this with configs on real equipment also, for example I know that on my own rack people can save configs to a TFTP. But you could have something where people post a router with OSPF setup so people can see what the config would look like.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    When I get home from work I will check out the general file size/formats used. I don't happen to have my laptop with me.

Im almost certain we are talking very small files.

Whats Nice about Boson is you can use Network Designer to create a visual picture of how the network looks. A simple screen shot of this would be sufficient for anyone who does not own boson software but has equiptment.

Great to see that this is going somewhere, I think this would help many people out. Forsay instead of asking how to configure NAT, users could simply download someone's NAT Lab which can be challenging or a simple step by step walkthrough.

Ill post later today

You can download demo fo Boson at www.boson.com It is limited but you can see the network Designer and what all of the labs and lab files look like. It is the full version, you just cant access global configuration mode on any of the simulator equiptment.

Thanks WebMaster!!!
  • Options
    Okay so I checked it out.

Using Network Designer for Boson Netsim for CCNP.

The files are saved as .top (topology)

They are generally around 5k in size, extremely small

You can make/view .top files using just the demo version of Boson Netsim for CCNP

add some file size text for lab objective/walkthru

add some file size if configurations are saved to the switches/routers

Max file size we are talking will probly not exceed 25k

To share binary files we could use a 3rd party website like geocities or something. The binary files could be sent to an email box we someone will post them on the free website. Links to these labs can be put on www.techexams.net

Nice thing about exchanging the files is they can easly be loaded right into the simulator.

I would be willing to host a linked website and manage the lab files from there.
  • Options
    To share binary files we could use a 3rd party website like geocities or something. The binary files could be sent to an email box we someone will post them on the free website. Links to these labs can be put on www.techexams.net

I've created an FTP account on another server, I'll send you a PM in a bit with the details, so you can upload the first file(s), which I can then use to create a Sticky topic (in the CCNP forum) and include general instructions and rules for others who wish to share their files. Currently limited to 20MB diskpace, but space and also bandwidth is not an issue (I have about 1700 GB unused data transfer available per month.) Since the posts will at least be read by many, I rather have the files on our servers so I can be sure there'll be no broken links.
  • Options
  • Options
    PM sent. Now let's check out that demo :D
  • Options
    This is just a simple test file.

Labs can be both CCNA/CCNP level maby we should create a subsection

under The Cisco Forum.

Read the PM I sent you.

I think using .lab instead of .top will be much better.

Anyone who gets the demo of boson can create .lab files.

Tommarow I will work on actually creating some labs.

I will also try to create a "how to guide" so other users can help get the

ball rolling to.

To create a .lab you use Boson Lab Compiler which is included in the

boson download.

When creating a .lab file their is a wizard that is basically self explanatory.
  • Options
    I read the PM, answered too.

I agree, the .LAB option seems perfect. Pretty cool actually that they included the lab compiler with their product. icon_thumright.gif for Boson.
    Labs can be both CCNA/CCNP level maby we should create a subsection under The Cisco Forum.
    I'm going to several new forums soon for other certs/exam, so I want to keep the forum index as small as possible. Once you got the first lab ready, send me the PM and I will create a Sticky topic in the CCNP forum, but will link to it in some CCNA sections and posts as well so it'll get the attention it deserves. If it gets a good response I'll set up something different for it.
  • Options
    Sounds great!

Talk to you later!