Options

Is the MCITP: EA still worth pursuing?

rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
So we all know the news about the new meanings of MCSA and MCSE... But what is everyones opinion on the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator?I already have already completed the Server Administrator track and so now have the new MCSA and am in the process of continuing to the Enterprise Administrator but in light of all the changes what does everyone think? Is it still worth pursuing and what are your plans if you are on this track? Are you going to continue or wait, or look towards doing something different?Rich
WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was planning to get it, but started having second thoughts after the change. I still have to take 640 & 642 to get my MCITP: SA / MCSA: 2008 so I'll see how that goes before deciding. In the end, I probably will still go for it as I'll get an extra 5% bonus for the next 5 years if I get it. But, if it weren't for the fact that I'll get that concrete/tangible reward for it then I probably wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was planning on going with the EA track myself, and having the client exam out of the way, I've rethought my plan and will be heading down the SA track. I see no reason to do those extra tests now for the EA when I can get the MCITP SA and MCSA with fewer tests. Getting the EA won't give me anything extra for work, and honestly the time that I'd spend studying for those exams I can put more onto the MCSE tests after I get the MCSA.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was planning on going with the EA track myself, and having the client exam out of the way, I've rethought my plan and will be heading down the SA track. I see no reason to do those extra tests now for the EA when I can get the MCITP SA and MCSA with fewer tests. Getting the EA won't give me anything extra for work, and honestly the time that I'd spend studying for those exams I can put more onto the MCSE tests after I get the MCSA.

As a MCITP:EA, that has pretty much been my beef with Microsoft since they came out with this MCSE/MCSA nonsense.

The SA and EA are basically the same cert now. One is three exams, the other is five and both gives you the same certification.

It really is a no-brainer unless one is a glutton for punishment.
  • Options
    johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea;having done the 642 and 680 and will be taking 640 soon i think microsoft is not intelligent in this respect,mcitp ea and mcitp sa both gives you mcsa 2008 with the same exam to get to mcse .i was thinking about mcitp ea,but now after 640 i'll just take 646 and get mcsa 2008 and head towards msce 2012.though i still have this thought that mcitp ea will have an edge at some point.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I am not sure about the value but the knowledge that you gain from 70-643 is pretty huge for someone who wants to work in the enterprise. Moreover I agree you have to be a glutton for punishment to do this exam to get the EA. Its easier just to get the SA and get it over with.
    BTW I am studying for 70-643 and the EA Path.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It almost seems wiser to pursue the SA first than take the other 2 tests to get the EA (or 3 if you havent taken the 70-680)
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, it is absolutely not worth pursuing. Unless you have already been studying for 70-643 and/or 70-647, there is simply no sense in thinking about EA.

I can't express how frustrated I am with Microsoft over this. While I can actually see a lot of logic in the new structure and the decisions behind it, I feel like I've wasted a lot of time and money on studying for a certification that has always and now will always live in the shadow of MCSE. And now, with no EA-specific upgrade path, the title is truly wasted. Most employers, even many technical professionals do not appreciate or understand the difference between SA and EA, and in fact many continue to think that there is a Microsoft certification called "MCITP". This already dilutes the value of EA over SA, but now with MCSE on the immediate horizon as an equally long upgrade path regardless of which you have, the value in getting EA is further diluted.

I've spent so much time and money on 70-643 myself that I will probably continue to pursue it and complete my EA. While SA with upgrade tests is an attractive option to me, I'd just assume finish what I started and get a theoretically more valuable credential. But I'm not happy about it, and I won't pretend to be.

For anyone who hasn't started on 70-643 and 70-647, unless as Erp said, you are a masochist, simply don't waste any time on them. Get SA and go for the flavor(s) of MCSE most relevant to your interests. You'll still be able to put the titles MCITP and MCSE on your resume, which will still get you through the various computers and people that look for and at resumes. I would be shocked if there were a single job offering on the planet in 2013 and beyond that required MCITP:EA over any flavor of MCSE.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you have a good point ptilsen, if that is indeed the case, than going for the SA -> MCSE seems to be a more optimal path and gets you to the same point as going EA -> MCSE it seems. 2008 R2 will probably have better penetration in the market for a few years after server 2012's release since I really dont see too many enterprises adopting 2012 that quickly.
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    It's too bad I don't have to take the 646 exam through WGU.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I am continuing my path to EA regardless.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2008 R2 will be around for a loooooong time. I'm with you tprice5, im still going to study for my EA. Long being 5 to 10 years.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The knowledge in the coursework is DEFINITELY worth it. You can read a book and still retain nothing so I see sitting the exam as a great way to test your own proficiency in the material you learned. Having the certification isn't going to hurt you chances at getting a job/getting your resume past HR watchdogs/negotiating a better raise at your current job/etc. The MCITP is about 4 core exams? $125 x 4 is a small price to pay for those things.

There are some exams that are worth it and some that are not. If the objectives of the exam deal with technology that you are likely to encounter in your day-to-day activities, then it's definitely a good thing to learn and you might as well take the tests if they aren't too costly.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    EA is five exams total, four MCTS and one Pro. After study materials the cost is more like $1000 or $2000, but that's not really the issue. EA over SA is only two more tests, but two of those tests take more time and energy than the other three combined times four. Those two are the difference between EA and SA, and they at this point have almost no added value as a credential over SA.

While I agree the knowledge is worthwhile, the knowledge of 2012-era MCSE will be just as worthwhile. If it's a choice between the two, I think the latter route is better. That's not to say EA is a bad thing or that it's worthless -- just that there are and will be more marketable alternatives that are just as or nearly as job-applicable. Obviously it's not universal, and there are still valid reasons to pursue EA -- I will be myself.

I'm just mad about it because the skills and knowledge I've learned are highly applicable but the certification itself will not bring the resume value an MCSE would bring for the same or maybe less work. If I had to do it all over again knowing what would happen, I would have completed my 2003 MCSE, updated to MCITP:SA (MCSA 200icon_cool.gif, then gone for MCSE cloud, server infrastructure, or both.

I think MS would do well to give EAs a shorter upgrade path or a good upgrade path to a different MCSE credential. It's a slap in the face to those of us who spent a lot of time on 643 and 647.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    No. Even the requirements for the MS Partner Server Platform Gold Competency treat them the same, either an EA or SA will count. I really see no incentive to go after the EA. At least I upgraded mine from 2003 so I don't feel as cheated as those who took the full track.

Save the time and training resources that you would spend on the 680 and 643 and focus on the new certs. Take the 659 - it is required for the server platform competency in addition to an EA or SA, it is required for the MCITP: VA, and it can sub for the 247 exam in the new MCSE: Private Cloud track. Then you could take the 246 to complete the MCSE: PC, or the 417 (when available) to upgrade to the MCSA: 2012 cert.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Iris is correct in that the knowledge is worth it. Claymoore is right, however, that it's not worth it from a marketability standpoint. It never did have the name recognition of MCSE, and it basically counts the same as MCITP:SA going forward.

I'm only finishing 70:643 and 70:647 because of WGU. Otherwise, I'd just take the SA exam and be done. But honestly, I think after I'm done with this track, I'm through with MS certs. The way they've left EA to die, and the fact that they're going to the renew every 3 years really turns me off - I'd rather focus on keeping my VMware certs current, and eventually go for the VCDX.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Not to speak out of turn but the difference between the EA and SA will remain primarily because in today's world you cannot manage without Hyper V, Clustering, Sharepoint etc which are covered in 643. The SA does not go into this topics which most corporations will use in some form. At the end of day you need to decide if its worth it but I always feel that when you are sitting for an interview its better to know more then whats required then less.
    I am still heading for the EA path then 417 & 687 whenever its available.
    I agree on the 3 year re-certification policy, that kind of sucks. It will be nice it they have something comprehensive like Cisco
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im staying on the EA path.. Booked my 70-642 next week.. then I will look at the upgrade options once I have my EA... very few companies upgrade straight away.. I know companies who still have server 03 exchange 03 and office 03.. and the odd few with server 2000..
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Not to speak out of turn but the difference between the EA and SA will remain primarily because in today's world you cannot manage without Hyper V, Clustering, Sharepoint etc which are covered in 643. The SA does not go into this topics which most corporations will use in some form. At the end of day you need to decide if its worth it but I always feel that when you are sitting for an interview its better to know more then whats required then less.
    I am still heading for the EA path then 417 & 687 whenever its available.
    I agree on the 3 year re-certification policy, that kind of sucks. It will be nice it they have something comprehensive like Cisco

The SA "646" Does cover about half of what is in 643 passing the 646 and now just about ready to take the 643 I wish I would of done 643 first would of made things Little easier I thought the 646 test was pretty tough second hardest test I have taken with 640 being the hardest.

The value of the MCITP-EA is going to still be very high I do Enterprise Sever support OS/Hardware for a major server Mfg and over the last year it has gone from 2003 R2 being the dominate OS to 2008 R2 out of thirty calls in a week 20-25 are 2008 R2 now.

My predication 2012 is going to be a flop 2012 R2 or some other name is going to be the next dominate platform in about 3 or 4 years with that the MCITP-EA is still going to be worth every penny my company views the MCITP-SA as a professional Cert and pay grade and the MCITP-EA as a Engineer Cert with the pay grade being about 10K - 15K more.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Agreed, I have repeated this a few times in this forum but here goes nothing. 74% of corporations still use 2003 as of now, this is from a Gartner white paper I read in Redmond Magazine
    You do the maths!
    BTW best of luck Krunchi for your 70-643, I am planning it this week icon_arrow.gif
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I thought the 646 test was pretty tough second hardest test I have taken with 640 being the hardest.
    QUOTE]

I have never heard anyone say 640 was the hardest. It is next on my list of exams. Can anyone corroborate this?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    I've heard a couple people say that, but it's not a common opinion. Most consider 640 and 642 to be the easiest, and either 643 or 647 as the hardest. In their absence, I would imagine 646 becomes the hardest.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I just took the 70-640 I wouldn't say the exam was hard just the skills measured is a tad broad then usually. I will continue for now with the MCITP:EA since it's part of the WGU degree I am registered in. I do not want to be bothered with the other CIW and java classes in the generic IT degree.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I was ranking the test I have taken up to this point I have 643 and 647 to go. I'm getting ready for 643 now and yes it may be a trap test because it doesn't seem to bad.

As for ranking the test I believe it's depends on the individual I have seen people post that the are having issues with 642 I thought it was a very easy test in the end it is all based on the test takers ability to grasp certain material over others what is easy for me might be hard for you and vise a versa.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been reading these new threads for some time now and I just want to get a few things cleared. So I'm also working on 70-640 Certification, from what I am reading, the EA takes longer to get certified for, than the SA? What is the best option, if I'm looking for the shorter process to get Server 2008 Certified in a good, reasonable amount of time. Shorter doesn't necessarily mean in a few days or a week, but something that will not take me forever to get the 2008 Server Certification, since MS is already leaning towards 2012. The path is 70-640, then 70-642 and then 70-646, is this right?
  • Options
    the_erickeethe_erickee Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm still on board for the MCITP: EA cert. Mainly because of the requirement to take the MCM: Exchange 2010 Exams. Which is my ultimate goal. I know I could just wait and pursue the MCSM Exchange test when it becomes available, but I would like to have a cert that could possibly upgrade from MCM to MCSM.

However, if you really just want a certification just to have it and don't really care about advancing to higher-end certs, then you can stick with the SA path.

My $0.02
    Erick Marshall - @erickbm

MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 2015,VCAP,VCP5 x2,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+
  • Options
    70-643 will be my 3rd MS Exam but it looks like a killer, so much material that you need reference to and the MCTS Study Guide and CBT does not cover all of it icon_sad.gif I am on my 2nd pass through the material and if I am not confident will give 70-680 and then come back to 70-643.
    As of now icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    KeithC wrote: »
    I just took the 70-640 I wouldn't say the exam was hard just the skills measured is a tad broad then usually. I will continue for now with the MCITP:EA since it's part of the WGU degree I am registered in. I do not want to be bothered with the other CIW and java classes in the generic IT degree.

I feel they are a bit too broad. AD CS, FS, LDS and RMS could have been in an exam of their own. They are not roles that have to be on a DC. The AD exam should really have been about the AD DS role and the components (object managment, replication, GPOs etc.) that it comprises.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)