Options

Starting in CCNA

gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just begin to study to the CCNA. I begin reading the technotes of this site. My question is:

The ethernet port is configure with the network address of the subnet the router is. The serial port is configure with other network address. In a WAN enviroment let say 10 routers X subnets. All the serials ports of the router are like a different subnet in the wan?

subnet 1 10.0.2.x
subnet 2 10.0.3.x

serial ports of the routers 10.0.4.x

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    alastairalastair Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about others, but I'm having difficulty understanding your question.

Can you restate, perhaps with a diagram?
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    schwarztraderschwarztrader Inactive Imported Users Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with alastair, as I too can not decipher exactly what the question really is. Could you please elaborate?
  • Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, people sorry my first language is spanish sometimes I have problem tying to elaborate questions.

If I have three subnets, connect via a t1 line.

Subnet 1 10.0.2.X 255.255.255.0
    Subnet 2 10.0.3.X
    Subnet 3 10.0.4.X

The ethernet port IP adrress of each router in the subnets should be configure according to the subnet that the router is in.

Question:

What IP address should be assign to the the serials port of each router?
  • Options
    alastairalastair Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gabilan wrote:
    Ok, people sorry my first language is spanish sometimes I have problem tying to elaborate questions.

Subnet 2 10.0.3.X
    Subnet 3 10.0.4.X

The ethernet port IP adrress of each router in the subnets should be configure according to the subnet that the router is in.

Question:

Hey no worries your english is a million times better than my spanish... :)

I think I get what you're asking. You have three routers, each with an ethernet subnet on one interface and attached to a T1 on the other serial interface. You want to know what IP address to give the serial interface.

IMHO the best way to do this would be to get another subnet (say 10.0.5.x) and use VLSM to create some /30 subnets from it. So you would give the routers serial interfaces the addresses (say) 10.0.5.1, 10.0.5.5, 10.0.5.9.

Does this help?
  • Options
    zawhtetaungzawhtetaung Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think you can give ip for serial port just like

eg:

10.0.5.x
    10.0.6.x

if i wrong ,i am sorry.just i wanna help you..
    zaw_htetaung
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    gabilan wrote:

Subnet 2 10.0.3.X
    Subnet 3 10.0.4.X

Question:

3 subnets. 2 of these subnets are ethernet networks hanging off the routers. One subnet is the address space in between the routers:

Ethernet (10.0.2.0 /24)
    |
    R1
    |
    | <----10.0.3.0 /30
    |
    R2
    |
    Ethernet (10.0.4.0 /24)

In this example, R1's serial interface will be 10.0.3.1. R2's serial interface would be 10.0.3.2.