Options

Advice on career/development

RogueViper101RogueViper101 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I thought I'd start by introducing myself; I'm Mike from the UK. I graduated in 2010 with a BSc(Hons) Computer Security. Took me nearly a year to find a job; I was mainly looking at general IT support as it seemed impossible to get a job in security straight away. Luckily a job as an 'Information Systems Security Officer' at a medium sized company came up. I have been with this company for nearly a year; and have learnt a great deal. This week I took the CompTIA Security+ exam and passed (816 score); now I'm eager to start preparing for another qualification. My employer will pay for any exams or materials and have kindly set aside some money to do this.

I was intending to go for the SSCP qualification; but am a little concerned I might end up being out of my depth. Unfortunately my job doesn't involve any hands on, technical work with networking. My experience from my job is around Auditing, Operating Systems, anti-virus and patch management (which I had to fight to take charge of on a temp basis). I did study for an CCNA whilst at colleague; but didn't take it seriously enough and never actually finished the course. To be honest I didn't really enjoy the Cisco course as it was obviously vendor driven.

Any tips or suggestions on what qualification I could do next would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    This has been asked and said a lot.. .but
    What exactly in security you want to do ? Security is an extremely broad field.
    meh
  • Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd suggest that you keep working where you are while you figure out it is exactly what you enjoy within Security, as just saying you are interested in "Security" is very broad. Are you interested in security policies? Firewalls? IDS/IPS? Penetration Testing? Forensics? Incident Response? Designing Secure Networks?

Then you need to try and get schooling or certifications that will get you there. Looking at job postings for requirements is a good start in figuring out what you need. Your current security experience will also look good on your resume.

Hope this helps.