Options

Nas

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just received my new NAS that was recommended by a friend.

It's a Synology DS411j. It's amazing! Centralized spot on my network for all files and backups. Also has a WebDEV to transfer files while on the go, which has already come in handy.

If anyone is in the market for a new NAS, I highly recommend this one.

Just one more thing I'd like to add - I wish 1TB and 2TB drives would come back down in price! Silly floods!
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    What type of read/write speeds are you getting across your network with that? -I read a few reviews where they were only able to obtain around 14MB/s which in my opinion isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    I have a gigabit switch, I was getting around 35MB from my other PC. Plus, I was moving files from that hard drive to another location. So I expect it would have gone up at least 15MB on top of that 35MB.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's not great - a regular internal non-SSD HD gets at least 75-125MB/sec - a Drobo gets about 40MB/sec and a ReadyNAS gets about 80MB/sec max. I don't have a ReadyNAS but throughput with these devices is crucial.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40710

Edit: not sure why you are getting such slow throughput on a Gig network, using 5400rpm drives or a laptop?
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I came here to argue about one Nas album or the other. Ah well.:)
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to avoid NAS devices because anything less than 30MB/s is crappy, and most NAS devices get about that. If MAC_Addy is seeing over 35MB/s, that's actually pretty good and makes the device worth looking into. Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, the only proper ways to refer to megabytes per second are MB/s or MiB/s. Mbps always refers to bits, and Mb/s is ambiguous. I'm not trying to be a ***** or a pedant here; it's a very important distinction in this industry, especially in this context.

Edit: Evidently the "T" word is censored on TE.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    not sure why you are getting such slow throughput on a Gig network, using 5400rpm drives or a laptop?
    Yeh, unfortunately it's a 5200 - plus I was moving a 30GB file off there at the same time. I'll do another speed test tonight to see what my legitimate speeds actually are.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    On a side note, the only proper ways to refer to megabytes per second are MB/s or MiB/s. Mbps always refers to bits, and Mb/s is ambiguous. I'm not trying to be a ***** or a pedant here; it's a very important distinction in this industry, especially in this context.

I'm so used to writing out Kbps for all my cisco stuff that I accidentally put that. I know the differences, just had a blonde moment - Glad it's Friday!
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll download one of those and check it out.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    35MB/s isn't bad at all for a home NAS.

I just shoved a few TB drives into my ESXi box, connected them to a server 2008 VM and called it good.
  • Options
    It's my plan to get an ESXi box in the near future - though, i'm not entirely sure on the requirements to run it.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    It's my plan to get an ESXi box in the near future - though, i'm not entirely sure on the requirements to run it.

Mine is just a pre-built i7 dell desktop with a few TB drives shoved in it, a SSD for the VMs to live on and 16gb of ram. Total cost was around $600 + the TB drives.

It's really hard to tell what will and won't work with it unless you go with real server equipment. I had to modify some settings to get the onboard gig NIC to function before it would even allow me to install it.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The thing with ESXi is it's not a general purpose operating system. It's not Ubuntu; it's not Windows. VMware designed it for the enterprise. It is tuned to server hardware. It just so happens that being based on RedHat, it runs on most desktops acceptably. However, you are almost always going to have a better experience with real server hardware. My recommendation continues to be that the best hypervisor lab you can build is one using used Dell or HP servers. For $600 you can get a used G5 Proliant with 16GB+ RAM, dual quad-core Xeons, and 10K drives. This makes for a perfect hypervisor lab, especially with ESXi.

I'm not saying building your own is a bad idea or won't work, but at the end of the day if you've built at least a few systems, building one more is just work. Save yourself the time and buy something reliable that your hypervisor was designed for.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would love to have one of those DL360 or DL380 G5 to run ESXi at home. Make my home server as my desktop and give my current desktop to my mom or bro then use the PC to run FreeNAS or Openfiler for the ESXi box.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Centralized spot on my network for all files and backups.
    Remember to set up backup for this centralized storage and keep the backup files outside of the device...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just created a new NAS, Using a Dell Poweredge 800, The machine has a SATA backplane and is currently running Freenas 8 I have 4 160gig Sata Drives, first two are in a raid array in which the O/S is installed and the other two and in a array for shares, The drives are quite small I know but I'm in the process of playing about and working out what I can do with this software.

I'm probably going to put the install on a USB stick and tuck it away something eliminating the need for me to have waste two of the Hard drives in the O/S raid configuration.

So far I really like Freenas was easy to get up and running, Windows can see my shares so all is good :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have worked with Synology devices for a long time now with both business and home devices. They went downhill over the last few years. Software becomes unstable, bugs aren't fixed and they seem to have a chronical 'PSU loves to fail' disease. Or they are underpowered etc. (make sure you read the HCL list for HDDs as bigger ones are sometimes not supported due to the power requirements).

Don't get me wrong, they are nice little plug and play devices but they aren't cheap so I personally expect more. Now with the HP Microserver on the market (or now really only better known due to the constant cash back offers) I'd go with them.

Since you already bought it I can assure you though - their (hardware) support is 1st class. Normally arrange UPS pickup and drop off and THAT went without any problems ; a shame I have so much experience with their hardware support though, I rather forget about devices like that.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I have a synology 1512+ and I couldn't be happier. I've had it for about a year and I've had zero problems with it. Currently it has 3x3TB drives in it and I just did a read/write test (by copying a DVD ISO back and forth) and I got around 840 Mbps read and 720 Mbps write.

I currently have a Intel 320 SSD in my PC, so I'm not sure if that played a factor with the differing read/write times, but either way I'm more than happy with those times.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a Dlink DNS-323 that I've had for about a year, with 2x 500gb hard drives. I purchased it used with the intention of installing custom firmware and running bittorrent on it. I never got around to it. The only data that I really care about are my pictures, so I use Windows Live Mesh on my computers to sync the pictures folder so its in multiple places. Soon I'll be using something like crashplan as well to back it up to the cloud in the event of a fire, theft, etc..