Options

Microsoft TechNet Courses

So has anyone ever actually used the Microsoft course content that you are authorized with your TechNet subscription. If so, are any of the courses actually decent for knocking out any of the MS certs?

Comments

• Options
    bsonbson Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been wondering myself, i've a few days off next week to do one of the courses (work wont pay for any training so i'm studying from home) and was also wondering if they are any use.
    Hope the course isnt as dry as some of the books i;ve had to read, ouchicon_study.gif
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I briefly looked at one of the ones for 70-642 last month, and wasn't impressed. I don't even remember which one it was at this point, but it was VERY dry material, and the navigation left a lot to be desired.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Assuming we're talking about the same thing (E-Learning courses), they are pretty boring. I've only gone through 9 "courses", and they could put me to sleep just as fast as the official MS Press books could. I've found just about any other CBT to be "better" for me than then M$'s E-Learning courses. Again, I have limited exposure though...your experience may differ.

If you've got free access, I say go for it. BUT...I wouldn't ever pay out of pocket for any of them.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yeah, I registered for the SQL Server course. I felt the same way. It is very dry and difficult to get through. There is a lab environment though too, that I haven't gotten a chance to try. I'm hoping there is something redeemable about it.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I have looked at a number of the E-Learning courses either through MS directly or through my IEEE & ACM memberships. The quality varies from horrible to not too bad. They are all pretty boring though.

The lab environments are pretty cool when they work. I'm with Qord though- I wouldn't pay for access but I will probably go through some I have access to in the future if they match with any of my study plans or go over stuff I'm interested in...
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    If you have the standard technet subscription, you get 1 course included. I have the subscription for my security lab licensing. So I'm not really paying for the course. Its just an extra perk that I might take advantage of. But after looking it over, I will probably only do the labs.
  • Options
    bsonbson Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've a TechNet professional subscription and get two, glad i get these included as they charge £254 per course (UK prices).
    I'll let you know how it was on thursday, i'm doing this one https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/collection.aspx?guid=8BAE6A27-CAD0-46BB-A501-2C43617FE425 for (70-662) to start, cant decide the other one yet but probably the course for the 663 exam.