Options

What do you need help with as it relates to STP?

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. Getting things rolling on another video, this one is PVST/RSTP. I guess you could call it a "fundamentals" video, where it focuses on the operation of each protocol, detailing differences, similarities, as well as actually demonstrating the operation with live CLI. I should have it done and posted to YouTube (as well as here..if I can figure out how to embed it in my post) in a couple of days. So that brings me to my real question:

What issues do most of you have with STP? Do any parts of it really confuse you? Trying to see if there's a trend with a certain part of STP that I can possibly clear up. After all, these videos are meant to help everyone.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Getting things rolling on another video, this one is PVST/RSTP. I guess you could call it a "fundamentals" video, where it focuses on the operation of each protocol, detailing differences, similarities, as well as actually demonstrating the operation with live CLI. I should have it done and posted to YouTube (as well as here..if I can figure out how to embed it in my post) in a couple of days. So that brings me to my real question:

What issues do most of you have with STP? Do any parts of it really confuse you? Trying to see if there's a trend with a certain part of STP that I can possibly clear up. After all, these videos are meant to help everyone.

Sure! I wouldn't mind a review of the problems you may face when Cisco PVST and standard CST interact, and how to resolve them. Cisco says silly things like there are no such problems--field experience says otherwise.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's actually a really great idea, can't believe I hadn't thought of that.

The only issue is I don't have any devices which would run 802.1D- well.....let me rephrase, that would run true CST and allow me to show issues between CST and PVST. I do plan on throwing an old foundry switch in the mix, so once that shows up I could do that. I think that would fit in PERFECT once I make some MSTP videos (showing CST interaction with MSTP regions, as well as regular PVST+, etc).