Options

How are you testing connectivity?

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just began building my CCNA lab, and I realized one very important thing: Packet Tracer spoiled me! I had unlimited amounts of virtual PCs and NICs I could use with that software to test connectivity spanning networks, between VLANs, etc; conversely, at home, I only have one PC. I recently moved, and had to throw away / give away a lot of my spare hardware before leaving.

So, how do you test connectivity? Do you use multiple PCs, VMs, etc.

It's probably a noobish question, I'm just curious.

Comments

• Options
    up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
    If you have multiple NICs you could use a VM on each NIC, or simply assign each NIC to a different subnet.
    If you are using GNS3, you can use VMs to hook into your topology, or add loopback interfaces to your local machine.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I use two of these USB-NIC adapters and have each one linked to a separate VMware machine. Works pretty good. Thinking about adding another 2 so I can have 4 hosts to send pings around with.

This way I can have my desktop motherboard NIC connected to my "production" home network where I have 24/7 internet. I then use the VM hosts to simulate lab scenarios where sometimes I'm not connected to the Internet 24/7. There is nothing worse than needing to use Google and not having an Internet connection. LOL

Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter TU2-ET100: Electronics

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□

Really nice suggestions thanks all.

I was considering building a box with several NICs in it, but I think i'll just go ahead with the usb-NIC option instead. Much more cost effective.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313

That's what I thought as well. I have a small form motherboard and don't have enough slots for more NIC cards. I decided to add one cheap 4 port USB card and then buy USB to NIC adapters as needed. So far I'm getting away with only 2 and my laptop, but another 2 would also be useful.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can use the IP address of the router interface on the network where the host would reside as the source IP address in the ping. Type ping with no address and it'll ask you for a bunch of options, one of which is the source address to use. I'll also plug my home router and my network printer into various spots because they do reply to pings. It doesn't have to be a PC, anything with Ethernet can be a host.

1600 series routers can be found for $10 and make great hosts with the added benefit of having another router or two on hand just in case. Also keep an eye on the free section of Craigslist. People give away old PC's or home routers all the time.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    alan2308 wrote: »
    You can use the IP address of the router interface on the network where the host would reside as the source IP address in the ping.

This is what I do. No need to over complicate things.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.