Options

Need interview resources

Sword DancerSword Dancer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've had about 10 interviews this year, and yet I've only had one job offer. Sadly, I had to turn it down because the compensation was pathetic. I am thankful that I am at least getting interviews, but I want the job not just an interview.

I hate when the interview seems to go well, but I never hear anything back. I send thank you cards, emails, and call them back (over the course of a few weeks), yet I never hear anything back. Or get lame answers, such as we're still interview or we haven't made any decision yet. Or the job has been put on hold.

I can do the work, I just don't want to not get the job simply because they don't like the way that I interview. Oftentimes I feel as if I have food on my face, or they don't like the way that I tie my shoes.

So can anyone recommend some good interview resources?

Comments

• Options
    hitm4n04hitm4n04 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well if you dont have a college degree or mid level certs , the salary will always be pathetic . employers rather hire a person who is already working than who is jobless!
  • Options
    I just updated my certs under my username. I am currently working, I just want something better when what I've currently got.
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose in a way it's worse if you are getting plenty of interviews but not getting offered the roles.

That means they like you on paper just not in person!

So, what's wrong with you? Do you come out of interviews thinking it went well or badly? Are there questions you can't answer? Do you antagonize the interviewer or come across as someone who it would be difficult to work with?

You need to take a long hard look at yourself to try and figure this out, I'm unsure how helpful people can be who don't know you!
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gotta +1 this.

Put some research into questions YOU should be asking the interviewer, so them you're interested and wanting the job. Show them that you're qualified.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Check with your local university or community college. A lot of them have resources including mock interviews, seminars and other tools that may be extremely valuable for you.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    buzzkill wrote: »
    You need to take a long hard look at yourself to try and figure this out, I'm unsure how helpful people can be who don't know you!

This right here. We can probably give you advice on working on your resume, or certs to get etc, but all that will do is get you to the interview. Obviously you have that part covered. There is something about you that isn't coming off right, or you just aren't very knowledgeable. Take a look in the mirror and try to figure it out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Check out the public library. Los Angeles Public Library . If you have a library card, they have a good number of books on audio and Ebook about selling yourself, landing interviews, and getting the job you want. Self help junk is big. I know, because I use it.

I suck at interviews. So, I've picked up about 5-6 books in the past year on everything from negotiations to asking pointed interview questions. I notice small improvements in things like making better snap decisions and being more direct in my communications with the C-levels at work.

That said, why not try asking the interviewer how you did. Any improvements you can make, if you're not the right fit, why not, etc. Or, when you get those ho hum responses, ask questions about the interview then. It can't hurt and you might have the opportunity to discover the issues that are leading to missed offers.

Good luck!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I've had about 10 interviews this year, and yet I've only had one job offer. Sadly, I had to turn it down because the compensation was pathetic. I am thankful that I am at least getting interviews, but I want the job not just an interview.

I hate when the interview seems to go well, but I never hear anything back. I send thank you cards, emails, and call them back (over the course of a few weeks), yet I never hear anything back. Or get lame answers, such as we're still interview or we haven't made any decision yet. Or the job has been put on hold.

I can do the work, I just don't want to not get the job simply because they don't like the way that I interview. Oftentimes I feel as if I have food on my face, or they don't like the way that I tie my shoes.

So can anyone recommend some good interview resources?

Has nothing to do with you really, but you might need to brush up on interviewing skills. Just remember they have a lot of candidates they have to interview and you have to connect with the hiring manager or team that might be in the process. I would suggest you search Google for the job your interviewing for, for questions related to the position. Yes, you'll be amazed that Hiring managers will have these questions they have pulled offline somewhere that has nothing related to the job at hand and want you to answer ridiculous questions. I know they're trying to get a better insight into who you are as a person but I really don't have any bearing on if you can perform the job. Again, its another one of the corky hoops we must go through to get the job.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5