Options

Failed ICND2

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
Failed today with a 790. First time ever failing an exam. The score sheet said i got a 55% on the switch part which is strange since switching is my strongest subject and I was pretty sure i nailed all the sims and questions for it, i can't think of any switching/stp/vtp questions i may have got wrong, I work with switches every day at my work from old 3550's up to the new Nexus 1000V/5500's so i was a bit surprised at that. Oh well. I will probably take it again next week sometime and finish it for good.

Not sure what happened here, the only questions i had trouble with were the VLSM questions but it said i got 100% on that.

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken either exam but from what I've been told is Cisco (like Microsoft) tries to trick you. It could of been some quick reading and you didn't notice something. Good luck on your next attempt :)
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I too failed the test my first time. It doesn't mean you don't understand the material though. The tests have a lot of questions designed to trip you up. It's easy to miss read something on these tests.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO Cisco exams don't trick you, they give you the "best answer" kind of questions that make it more challenging. but I thought they where fair. hit the books a little more and you'll pass no problem
    Good luck
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    When you get a sim do you have to do a copy run start at the end or just click on next to get out of it?
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY PREVIOUS POST FROM QUOTE

the cisco exam team says that copy run start ist NOT part of the score. but i always type it in on the exams because its like breathing for me if you finished your config.

anyways on the ccnp exams you get a "command is not supported" reply from the test engine.

edit: in "real life" i do a "do wr" but on the exams i always try to go by the book because getting "dirty" there might cost you some points ;)
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY PREVIOUS POST FROM QUOTE

Hmm so that was my not my problem...

did you fail because of the switch section?
    did you fail because of the switch section?

i got a 55% on the switch section. the rest of the sections were 100%, 88%, 67%, 67%

Do you have any idea how many questions I have have got wrong all together?
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    since every exam is different i got no idea

only thing i can tell you: you did not meet the exams requirements on the switch section. (no offense)

since you are working with them it might have been that you missed some of the basic theoretical questions which might not be in you daily workaround. review you stuff from the ground up. my guess would be VTP and spanning tree - if you work with them you tend to forget about the basics specially if you are not dealing with them on 1999 devices ...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    c'est la vie. pass it next time.
  • Options
    since every exam is different i got no idea

only thing i can tell you: you did not meet the exams requirements on the switch section. (no offense)

since you are working with them it might have been that you missed some of the basic theoretical questions which might not be in you daily workaround. review you stuff from the ground up. my guess would be VTP and spanning tree - if you work with them you tend to forget about the basics specially if you are not dealing with them on 1999 devices ...

I don't know, only thing i can think of is that i rushed through it and may has selected the wrong answers.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's how I felt after my ICND1 exam when I didn't pass it. I completely rushed through the exam and finished within 30 minutes, I knew the material, but I didn't pass because I selected what I thought was the best answer - I obviously didn't read all the possible answers.

I, too will be taking the ICND2 soon and I wish you the best of luck on your retake, you'll nail the exam the 2nd time around. Just review on your lower scores and know the material inside and out.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    matt333 wrote: »
    IMO Cisco exams don't trick you, they give you the "best answer" kind of questions that make it more challenging. but I thought they where fair. hit the books a little more and you'll pass no problem
    Good luck

That and progressive difficulty is the other myth with Cisco exams. You have to know your stuff to pass Cisco exams. They don't short you any information and provide enough information for you to figure it out. I feel you on the pass and fail of the ICND series, but keep at it, and I like the others idea of studying your weak points.

I am slow and need all points. For me, I would even go as far to say a lot of the material really lacks proper teaching of what Cisco asks for in these exams. Both exam cram and lamle books lacked enough to make me feel like im not ready. I absolutely HATE the empty references in all Cisco educational material from any company. I wonder if the CCNP has empty references to CCIE. icon_neutral.gif
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA