Options

DOD pay

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    This is so misleading. This cuts the statistical pie to make it look like a security clearance is a "golden ticket" to a six-figure job. There are so many other factors involved besides having, or being able to obtain, a US DoD security clearance.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was on a contract that required pretty fast hiring because the contract was awarded later than normal. We had a few people that got in that had little to no business being there, sounded like some exaggerated experience/abilities. A couple of them were pushed out of the SOC to the help desk probably to keep them in billing slots. Eventually they were bad at that and were fired. A security clearance can get you a lot of good paying opportunities and to be honest I think it eliminates better candidates who just don't have a clearance.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have to agree with JD, the clearance isn't the only thing to be factored in. What GS level were these jobs? GS level would factor in what the education required for the job (obviously, contractors aren't on the GS scale, but that would determine some portion of their salary). Location is another.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    It's also WAY off with the Military pay. Average salary for Active Duty Military is FAR below what it says. Having a clearance does not affect your military pay one bit.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Major reasons why employers want people who already have clearances is cost savings and timelessness to work. The employer won't need to pay for the entire DoD clearance process, just the reinstatement of the clearance, and obtaining any project-specific clearances can begin almost immediately. I've also seen people with specific certifications favored for a position because the hiring manager would save money by not needing to train the new hire up to a certification level required by the project.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Have to agree with JD, the clearance isn't the only thing to be factored in. What GS level were these jobs? GS level would factor in what the education required for the job (obviously, contractors aren't on the GS scale, but that would determine some portion of their salary). Location is another.

Unfortunately this is partly false. I personally know a guy who is a GS-13 with a high school diploma. Hired as such just the end of last year. I was passed over for the same position and I have my BS, a few more certs than he did and more relevant experience. Nepotism is the greatest factor in obtaining a federal job.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is partly false. I personally know a guy who is a GS-13 with a high school diploma. Hired as such just the end of last year. I was passed over for the same position and I have my BS, a few more certs than he did and more relevant experience. Nepotism is the greatest factor in obtaining a federal job.
    I really hate hearing about this kinda stuff. It's very depressing.. :\
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

I agree and I see this all the time. This also applies to the private sector aka any corporation.
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151

It's a relevant factor in just about any job search. A stranger will always be trumped by Bill's nephew who needs a job.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I personally know a guy who is a GS-13 with a high school diploma. Hired as such just the end of last year. I was passed over for the same position and I have my BS, a few more certs than he did and more relevant experience. Nepotism is the greatest factor in obtaining a federal job.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I agree and I see this all the time. This also applies to the private sector aka any corporation.

I've never seen anything like that in a major corporation, and I've been privvy to many backroom deals. First, HR often sets rough requirements for hiring a certain level of position. For example, all the positions I've held have required a degree. Hiring a no-degree candidate would require multiple levels of approval. Second, HR often sets rough guidelines for the pay of a certain level of position. Again, exceptions require multiple levels of approval.

What I do often see is that a manager announces that a new position is opening up. Members of the team check their network for any good friends or co-workers who may be out of work. That person gets to interview first. If they meet the requirements of the position they're hired on and the referrer gets a fee. This works out well for everyone, as talent often knows talent, attracting talent is expensive, and people who have a good history of working together are more likely to work well together in this new role which is good for overall productivity. This is not a secret process.

I've also seen promotion choices which were based on 80% talent and 20% connections.

Let's not foget, people skills are important in our industry! :)
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options

I'd say that it is more the exception then the rule, but can agree that sure it can happen. Having been on the Federal and State side though, it happens way more on the State/Local level then it does at the Federal level. Couldn't tell you the number of times I exceeded the quals for a position at the State level only to be told I didn't meet the requirements and then find out some political hacks kid got it. After of course they collected my $15 dollar Civil Service fee ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MrBishop wrote: »
    I think this site more to the real GS pay scale 2012 General Schedule (GS) Locality Pay Tables

You also cannot forget that there are several different scales:

GS - Most Government Employees
    GL - Federal Law Enforcement Scale
    GG - Intelligence Scale
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff