Options

Army soldier,need some help here as far as career choices cert paths.

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just signed up with New Horizons here in Ohio doingthere full time Mentored Learning program and I am using my GI Bill, so it is 100% free and I even get paid! Still thinking about WGU too, after this.
Need some help here as far as career choices certpaths. I have a background in SIGINT and am now in the Army NG. Looking to move to more of a Cyber path. I need help trying to find a course/cert that would cover most of this info besides the non-applicable stuff I addressed.
I put below what certification I thought most closely fit each part. I am looking through the NH catalog and they have hundreds of courses that I can take.

What certifications would most closely align with these descriptions below?

The Computer Network Operations (CNO) mission has undergone a dramatic transformation due to the dynamic insertion of revolutionary information based technologies throughout the evolving target environments. The magnitude ofthese changes has a profound effect on the critical skills required by today’s Cryptologic workforce in order to conduct the CNO mission. Developing andmaintain the leading edge skills of highly trained cryptologists in this dynamic Information Technology (IT) based environment is as crucial to mission success today as it will be for the evolving threat of tomorrow. The mission is no longer held within traditional SIGINT but includes IT, CNO, InformationOperations (IO), Information Assurance (IA), and the new technologies infusingthe environment every day. It is imperative to develop and maintain a trainingcontinuum that is responsive to emerging requirements and in line across the Department of Defense.

Curriculum includes, but is not limited to, the following topics: computer/network hardware and architecture, operating system theory,basic networking with Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP),operating systems (UNIX, Windows), programming advanced concepts in networking, security concepts, active exploitation, computer network defense, discrete mathematics, computer forensics, and malicious code analysis.

UNIX Fundamentals:?
The UNIX fundamentals class provides an introduction and baseline understanding of UNIX operating systems. The fundamentals cover basic commands, operatingsystem (OS) structures, and the use of the OS.

Windows Fundamentals:
70-680
The Windows Fundamentals class provides an introduction and baseline understanding of Windows operating systems. The fundamentals cover basic commands, OS structures, and the use of the OS.

Hardware/Architecture and Operating System Theory:
A+
The Computer Architecture: Fundamental principles of computer engineering using the Little Man Computer (LCM) class simulation to introduce the components of amodern computer memory, CPU, I/O devices, capabilities, and computer models(fetch-execute). Introduction to Theoretical OS (Bootstrapping process, CPUbasic anatomy, OS history, structure, and services) also includes process management concepts, memory management concepts, storage management concepts,and virtual OS fundamentals.

Basic Networking with TCP/IP:
Network+
The Basic Networking class covers the following topics: Basic networking fundamentals, TCP/IP, OSI Model, network addressing, network protocols, WANprotocols, WAN fundamentals, WAN networking communication methods,digital/telecommunication convergence, and network topologies.

UNIX Operating Systems:
?
The UNIX/Linux OS covers the following topics: system calls, library functions,threads, process creation and initialization, process properties, interrupt requests, process states, process interruptions, OS Structure, file systems,storage management, file and directory permissions, hidden data elements,backup/restoration process, file system commands, OS design/architecture,Kernel modules, root and user environments, and process creation/management as well as known vulnerabilities.

Windows Operating Systems:
70-680, 70-640, ?
The Windows OS includes the following topics: Active Directory (AD) (structure,LDAP, group policy, and functional levels/trust), OS Structure, file systems(FAT 16/32, NTFS), storage management, WIN2K directory structure, file and directory permissions, alternate data streams, backup/restoration process, filesystem commands, Windows OS design/architecture, Hardware Abstraction Layer(HAL), Kernel responsibilities, Windows Executive, environment subsystems,security accounts management, object manager, process creation, virtual memorymanager, I/O manager, User-mode environment subsystem, Application Programming Interface (API), Dynamic Link Libraries, System Management mechanisms, as well as the system boot process, account management, and vulnerabilities.

Programming:
SQL, scripting courses
The Programming class covers programming structure, low-level programming,programming tools and techniques, Object Oriented Programming (OOP), levels ofsoftware programming, program/source code identification and analysis,scripting, database administration, and Structured Query Language (SQL).

Network Design and Administration:
?
The Network Design and Administration class covers the following topics:Internetworking devices, network hardware configuration, IP routing processes,routing protocols, route summarization, administrative distances, and networkreconstruction.

Router Security Configuration:
CCNA:Security,Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security,?
The Router Security Configuration class covers the following topics: Cisco Model, physical protection, Cisco IOS®, general threats to the router, router hardening, Access Control Lists (ACL), Network Address Translation (NAT) and tunneling.

Network Reconstruction and Packet Analysis:
?
The Network Reconstruction and Packet Analysis class covers the following topics: Networking analysis tools and techniques, network reconstruction,network baseline analysis, network baseline methods, common network traffic,packet analysis, OSI layer 2/3/4 headers, Application Layer protocols, andabnormal traffic.

Wireless Technology:
Network+ maybe?
The Wireless Technology class covers the following topics: Antenna and Frequencycharacteristics, IEEE 802.11/15 standards, wireless LAN topologies, 802.11Layer 2 characteristics, 802.11 security, passive WEP attacks, passive WPA/WPA2attacks, active attacks against 802.11 networks and clients, client driverexploits, wireless personal area networks, and WiMax, with a brief mention andintro to Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM).

Active Exploitation:
CEH
The Active Exploitation class covers the following topics: Network discovery/enumeration, port scanning technologies, UNIX/Windows system vulnerabilities as well as switches/routers exploitation and system vulnerabilities,encryption technologies, security application/protocols, malware (Trojanhorses, root kits, back doors, ad/spyware), exploitation/attack concepts,authenticated/unauthenticated attacks, social engineering, denial of services(DOS)/Distributed DOS attacks.

Computer Network Defense:
CEH
The CND class covers the following topics: Department of Defense reporting organizations and reporting vehicles, critical content of security reports,global information grid and supporting organizations, assessment of computer/network vulnerabilities, identification of malicious intent through packet analysis, firewall and Intrusion Detection/Prevention systems (IDS/IPS)implementation, risk mitigation, Information Assurance concepts, encryption technologies, security applications/protocols, malware (Trojan horses, rootkits, back doors, AD/spyware), packet sniffing technologies,exploitation/attack concepts, authenticated/unauthenticated attacks, social engineering, denial of services (DOS)/Distributed DOS attacks.

Forensics:
CHFI
The Forensics Methodology class covers the following topics: Forensics process and best practices, reporting intelligence gathered in theater, media and file systems, collecting volatile data, non-volatile data sources, media examination and reporting.

Malicious Code Analysis:
CHFI
The Malicious Code Analysis class covers the following topics: Identification and analysis of maliciously coded applications, static and dynamic analysis,recognition of obfuscation, current vulnerabilities and exploits.

Comments

• Options
    CEHwanabeCEHwanabe Banned Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go just forget all low level certs and go for mid level certs such as Certified Ethical Hacker or CCNA/CCNP etc
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You want a mapping of certifications to these course descriptions?

I'll comment on the networking ones--
    Basic Networking with TCP/IP:Network+
    The Basic Networking class covers the following topics: Basic networkingfundamentals, TCP/IP, OSI Model, network addressing, network protocols, WANprotocols, WAN fundamentals, WAN networking communication methods,digital/telecommunication convergence, and network topologies.

Network+ or CCNA.

Network Design and Administration:
    ?
    The Network Design and Administration class covers the following topics:Internetworking devices, network hardware configuration, IP routing processes,routing protocols, route summarization, administrative distances, and networkreconstruction.

This is precisely what the CCNP::Route exam covers.

Router Security Configuration:
    CCNA:Security,Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security,?
    The Router Security Configuration class covers the following topics: CiscoModel, physical protection, Cisco IOS®, general threats to the router, routerhardening, Access Control Lists (ACL), Network Address Translation (NAT) andtunneling.

CCNA Security is a good match.

Network Reconstruction and Packet Analysis:
    ?
    The Network Reconstruction and Packet Analysis class covers the followingtopics: Networking analysis tools and techniques, network reconstruction,network baseline analysis, network baseline methods, common network traffic,packet analysis, OSI layer 2/3/4 headers, Application Layer protocols, andabnormal traffic.

The Certified Wireshark Network Analyst certification is a good fit for this (and DOD approved).

Wireless Technology:
    Network+ maybe?
    The Wireless Technology class covers the following topics: Antenna and Frequencycharacteristics, IEEE 802.11/15 standards, wireless LAN topologies, 802.11Layer 2 characteristics, 802.11 security, passive WEP attacks, passive WPA/WPA2attacks, active attacks against 802.11 networks and clients, client driverexploits, wireless personal area networks, and WiMax, with a brief mention andintro to Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM).

The Network+? No way! The CCNA Wireless exam + CCNP Wireless Security exam covers this.

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Never thought the GI Bill could pay for something like New Horizons. Interesting. Just so you know, their material is crammed into 2-5 day sessions. You might feel many things aren't being covered.

I have taken several courses as we have a location here. All paid by my employer. I've finished a few of them feeling guilty for how much it costs.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Removed quote of preceeding post

Yea, they actually found me through my resume on Careerbuilder. I would have never known they would cover this. From what the counselor said they got approved for the Mentored Learning option only at that location, I guess they needed 2 years on station to apply for GI Bill stuff.

Most courses are 81 hours(5 day course) and I would have to put 18 hours at the physical location a week to get my benefits. I dont know why they say 5 days, that is something I am going to have to go over with the counselor on Wensday.

Found a link:
    http://www.newhorizons.com/GI-Bill-Training-Programs.aspx
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    They're okay for getting the basics of applications out there. But the technical training, especially those centered around a certification, are just too much in a short amount of time.

The "mentored learning" is (if it's like what I experienced) a guy you talk to through VOIP, sets up virtual machines for you to remote to and hits you with exam questions over and over . You never get a classroom unless there is something like 7+ bodies taking that exact same course.

I used them to quickly knock out Network+ and Security+ so my certs would never expire.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would save your GI BIll and skip New Horizons all together. I have taken a few classes there before because my employer paid for it and to be honest it would have been better if I just took a week off work and sat at a coffee shop and studied.

Most of the courses are meant for people already with experience in the field and it is meant as a cram session before the test. Many go there with little preparation and cram and some pass the cert and some fail, I doubt many actually learn much.

If you are going that route your better off going to WGU, get the certs in the degree program. MUCH better and MUCH cheaper than New Horizons. You can go at your own pace and from what I have read the Microsoft exams are much harder now a days so your better off establishing your own study schedule and posting here and the WGU communities as well as the school's weekly chat sessions. You will gain access to a bunch of study materials, official courseware, software needed, etc.

A way better value than cramming your butt off at New Horizons, passing some tests and forgetting most of it by the time you need to know it for a job.

I was Signal in the NG and my security clearance, IT certs and experience opened a lot of doors.
  • Options
    I may try the 2 month CCNA program they have since everything is included, its nice to have an instructor and labs available. I will wait and see if I like it.

Also, I did not know about the CWNA, actually the Wireshark cert and the Certified Wireless Network Admin cert from the Wi-Fi vendor will cover the packet analysis and wireless curriculum pretty well looks like.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I would definitely try WGU instead. These types of cram sessions are best left for when an employers wants to pay for training. You can probably do CISCO training at a community college that will last longer and teach you more if you want.